PDA

View Full Version : DRM for Norton

Death-Dude
04-08-2003, 11:25 PM
Symantec is to use DRM (Digital Rights Management) methods as a trial to try to fight piracy better. This when MS just found out that the 3-in-1 code for different versions of Windows 2003 Server has been leaked. NAV has thwarted countless viruses from my machine, and has rescued other machines people have brought to me that were infected. I think they have every right to protect their software. Still, if you change your MB or your HD dies, how many companies will you have to call or connect to to rebuild your box? I don't know how far DRM will make it into the mainstream software, but having to contact several companies would be an irritating burden.

Extreme Tech (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1009112,00.asp)

News.com (http://news.com.com/2100-1009-995879.html)

JIMINATOR
04-09-2003, 04:54 AM
yeah, it sucks. turbotax was the first to go that route.
A lot of people did not buy it for that reason, and they probably
lost revenue from people that would buy the software and
file electronically through them. Everybody has to protect
their stuff, but i don't like the heavy handedness of it.
Stuff like this mostly hurts the regular consumer. Sure, they
can't make a copy or two for their friends, but...
Patches or cracks can usually be found on the internet
shortly afterward, so it does not discourage warez.
but then I guess that it will stop the pirates for profit
that can burn a few hundred cds and have a 'closeout sale'

OUTLAWS Behind You?
04-10-2003, 03:17 PM
I am adamantly against any "Activation" code that locks a product out based on hardware. I change my hardware too often. I think most people, myself included, would not copy unlicenced products if they would just make licencing more reasonable for the individual. My point here is that to be totally legal, I would have to spend $800 for Windows XP Pro, 4 PC at $200 each. I have looked into getting multiple PC licensing, but MS smallest offer is 5 PCs and then the second through fifth license is only discounted 10% or $20. That plan would mean I would have to spend $920 for 5 licenses. I only need 4. If they would be more reasonable for lincenses 2 to 4, then I would gladly get legal. Reasonable to me would be $200 for license 1 and between $20 to $50 for licenses 2-4. But I don't see that happening. I believe Apple came out with licensing for it's OS-10 that was something like what I stated. Maybe it's time to go Mac. :WTF:

Oh, I do use Norton Antivirus and am totally legal with it. It is installed on only 1 PC. But I can do this only because it will scan across my network and check the other 3 PCs without being installed on them. As I said, I would be totally legal if MS would only give me a reasonable option.