PDA

View Full Version : Beware

Dangerous Dan
04-17-2003, 02:33 AM
For the past day i have been unable to access the internet, this occured sometime after playing sam for a a few games. At first i thought it was just a downed server at shaw because i got the classical "detecting proxy settings" message and it would prevent my from gaining access to the internet. But after a day i got sucpicious, so i phoned my friend up and asked him if he was having and problems with his Shaw internet. His answer was no.

So tonight i descided to investigate further, my results were shocking. In my house we have three computers all connected to the same network. After running around the house, up and down the stairs turning computers on and off numerous times i realized that when my computer was on it froze up all the comp's on the network, and when it was off the others worked just fine. Furthermore, now where ever i turn it on i recieve the nessage "your computer has recovered from a fatal error" or something to that effect.

I would plz like to ask if the server admins Slash and BIGGD could some how check their records and see if anyone managed to gain access to my comp through their servers, it's the only explanation i can think of because the only activity i use my comp for is playing sam.

Everyone be at a high alert and keep your firewalls on :thumbs:

I'm gonna reinstall windows tomorrow because i cant update my virus definitions without access to the internet.

Morpheus
04-17-2003, 02:39 AM
hmm... go to windows update and under critical updates there shoudl be a thing to get rid of the fatal error after every boot thing, i had it. :cool:

SIFI
04-17-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by The Clanless Wonder@Apr 16 2003, 09:33 PM
For the past day i have been unable to access the internet, this occured sometime after playing sam for a a few games. At first i thought it was just a downed server at shaw because i got the classical "detecting proxy settings" message and it would prevent my from gaining access to the internet. But after a day i got sucpicious, so i phoned my friend up and asked him if he was having and problems with his Shaw internet. His answer was no.

So tonight i descided to investigate further, my results were shocking. In my house we have three computers all connected to the same network. After running around the house, up and down the stairs turning computers on and off numerous times i realized that when my computer was on it froze up all the comp's on the network, and when it was off the others worked just fine. Furthermore, now where ever i turn it on i recieve the nessage "your computer has recovered from a fatal error" or something to that effect.

I would plz like to ask if the server admins Slash and BIGGD could some how check their records and see if anyone managed to gain access to my comp through their servers, it's the only explanation i can think of because the only activity i use my comp for is playing sam.

I'm gonna reinstall windows tomorrow because i cant update my virus definitions without access to the internet.
can you not log on to the internet at all or just from that comp? if you can from another comp, would you be able to transfer updates over?

Dangerous Dan
04-17-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by -=(OUTLAWS)=- SIFI+Apr 17 2003, 02:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (-=(OUTLAWS)=- SIFI @ Apr 17 2003, 02:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Clanless Wonder@Apr 16 2003, 09:33 PM
For the past day i have been unable to access the internet, this occured sometime after playing sam for a a few games.&nbsp; At first i thought it was just a downed server at shaw because i got the classical "detecting proxy settings" message and it would prevent my from gaining access to the internet.&nbsp; But after a day i got sucpicious, so i phoned my friend up and asked him if he was having and problems with his Shaw internet.&nbsp; His answer was no.&nbsp;

So tonight i descided to investigate further, my results were shocking.&nbsp; In my house we have three computers all connected to the same network.&nbsp; After running around the house, up and down the stairs turning computers on and off numerous times i realized that when my computer was on it froze up all the comp&#39;s on the network, and when it was off the others worked just fine.&nbsp; Furthermore, now where ever i turn it on i recieve the nessage "your computer has recovered from a fatal error" or something to that effect.&nbsp;

I would plz like to ask if the server admins Slash and BIGGD could some how check their records and see if anyone managed to gain access to my comp through their servers, it&#39;s the only explanation i can think of because the only activity i use my comp for is playing sam.

Everyone be at a high alert and keep your firewalls on&nbsp; :thumbs:

I&#39;m gonna reinstall windows tomorrow because i cant update my virus definitions without access to the internet.
can you not log on to the internet at all or just from that comp? if you can from another comp, would you be able to transfer updates over? [/b][/quote]
nope, the comps arnt actually networked, and i thknk if i did taht would allow the virus or hacked file to spread :wacko:

Dan2
04-17-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by TheRenegadeEncounter@Apr 16 2003, 10:39 PM
hmm... go to windows update and under critical updates there shoudl be a thing to get rid of the fatal error after every boot thing, i had it. :cool:
Me too.

Slash
04-17-2003, 03:00 AM
Sounds like your NIC might be going crazy flooding your home network with broadcasts.

Fantum309
04-17-2003, 03:07 AM
If that is XP, do a system restore to a date you know it worked. I had the same problem twice within a week.

Dangerous Dan
04-17-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Slash@Apr 17 2003, 03:00 AM
Sounds like your NIC might be going crazy flooding your home network with broadcasts.
how coudl i fix that?

Slash
04-17-2003, 03:21 AM
Well your box is definitely doing something to flood the network. I would run the critical updates, turn your router/switch off and on, try another port in your switch, perhaps change your network cable, see if your card has any installed diags and run them, reinstall windows, and finally if nothing else works, you might have to buy a new network card.

Slash
04-17-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Fantum309@Apr 16 2003, 10:07 PM
If that is XP, do a system restore to a date you know it worked. I had the same problem twice within a week.
This is not a bad idea either.

ME BIGGD01
04-17-2003, 03:32 AM
1. can your other computers see your computer on the network?

if so---have your hard drive scanned remotely for viruses

if not--shut pc off and unpower it. take the hard drive out and set it into a working machine with virus software.

2. i doubt anyone can hack through sam even if they are using ports to come in. you have a firewall right?
please let me know what os you are using so i can help more

3. i urge all to stear clear from unknown sam servers because incase someone is being malicious with code that gets pulled from sam servers that are virused already and can infect your system.
just to let you all know doa server is constantly scanned with software.

4. does not sound like a virus and will claim it is your network card or drivers got corrupted.
what i suggest is going to the my computer icon--right click--goto properties--and get to device manager
right click on your network card and uninstall or delete it---restart your pc

this will reset your nic and driver to the os default driver which you originally installed.

reboot your pc and let the plug and pray take effect

now goto the blue e (internet explorer) and right click on it--goto properties--click on the last tab called advanced---and click on restore defaults.

than goto connections tab and click on setup and just redo the setup (self explanitory)

5. if you do have a virus it is possible you have received it through your own network. do you have any files shared on your pc? you mentioned in an earlier thread about your brother doing alot of downloading, which is a virus attack waiting to happend. becarefull because this is where alot of viruses are being spread today.

6.if i can help you with anything let me know

JIMINATOR
04-17-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by The Clanless Wonder@Apr 16 2003, 09:33 PM

So tonight i descided to investigate further, my results were shocking. In my house we have three computers all connected to the same network. After running around the house, up and down the stairs turning computers on and off numerous times i realized that when my computer was on it froze up all the comp&#39;s on the network, and when it was off the others worked just fine. Furthermore, now where ever i turn it on i recieve the nessage "your computer has recovered from a fatal error" or something to that effect.

I would plz like to ask if the server admins Slash and BIGGD could some how check their records and see if anyone managed to gain access to my comp through their servers, it&#39;s the only explanation i can think of because the only activity i use my comp for is playing sam.

I&#39;m gonna reinstall windows tomorrow because i cant update my virus definitions without access to the internet.
ok, you may have a virus or a trojan, but I doubt it has anything to do with serious sam.
ssam doesn&#39;t actually transmit files, it sends information relating to the players positions,
a crc to ensure the maps are the same, etc.
I don&#39;t understand your setup based on your comments, do you have the cable modem
connected to a hub/router that connects to the other computers?
In theory if you had file sharing set up between the computers, then a virus could
spread itself to the others, the locking up may be some type of ethernet flooding
as was mentioned.
anyway a reinstall should fix it, it just seems a little drastic. (but I do that all the time).
Good luck...

Fantum309
04-17-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Apr 16 2003, 10:32 PM
2. i doubt anyone can hack through sam even if they are using ports to come in.
I AM HERE TO TELL YA&#33; I was playing Serious Sam Second Encounter back in December 2002, and my anti-virus software interupted my game, indicating to me, it had found a virus and recommended that I quarenteen it. As I attempted to do so, it popped up again, with another virus. I quarenteed that and then another. I had about 15 viruses come in one right after the other. It got so out of hand, I reached up and shut down my modem and unplugged my line. I had 67 different virus&#39;s that got injected into my PC all in about 30-45 seconds. I don&#39;t know what server, I was still pretty new to on line gaming, but it only him my one pc playing Sam, and not the other system on the same network. Firewall was up too. So, it can happen&#33; I was glad my Anti-Virus was good to go&#33;