PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooling Kit

TNT Tonic
04-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Anyone using a CPU water cooling kit? Just curious, I am thinking about getting one and wondering how good it works and if it's easy to install?

OUTLAWS Spike
04-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Fragetti sells them, heres a Link (http://meankeys.com:1057/sales.htm) to his site.

TNT Tonic
04-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Do you have one Spike?

Death-Dude
04-28-2003, 06:32 PM
This search (http://www.amdmb.com/search.php?search=water+cooling) at AMDMB.com shows links to several recent reviews of water cooling units, and their own guides on the subject. If Fragetti sells and uses them, I'd definitely get with him for the info aside from reviews, although looking at reviews will help you understand what is makes a unit good or bad, and which ones are more desirable. I've seen more and more of these units out there, and I can only think that they are getting more and more user-friendly and effective. I'd like one, if I could use it with confidence. Fragetti, any thoughts on this?

EXEcution
04-28-2003, 06:46 PM
Does this water cooling involve liquid in your case, if so id be careful

Mr Clean
04-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by xtremegamer@Apr 28 2003, 12:46 PM
Does this water cooling involve liquid in your case, if so id be careful
:blink:

:P

:lol:

FUS1ON
04-29-2003, 07:55 PM
It's been years since high school science class and if i'm not mis-taken, Distilled water isn't conductive. Does anyone know for sure? :WTF:

Anyways I would still be very careful about leaks. :cool:

FUS1ON
04-29-2003, 08:07 PM
I was wrong sort of

Specific conductance
Specific conductance is a measure of the ability of water to conduct an electrical current. It is highly dependent on the amount of dissolved solids (such as salt) in the water. Pure water, such as distilled water, will have a very low specific conductance, and sea water will have a high specific conductance. Rainwater often dissolves airborne gasses and airborne dust while it is in the air, and thus often has a higher specific conductance than distilled water. Specific conductance is an important water-quality measurement because it gives a good idea of the amount of dissolved material in the water.
Probably in school you've done the experiment where you hook up a battery to a light bulb and run two wires from the battery into a beaker of water. When the wires are put into a beaker of distilled water, the light will not light. But, the bulb does light up when the beaker contains salt water (saline). In the saline water, the salt has dissolved, releasing free electrons, and the water will conduct an electrical current.

The whole article LINK (http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/characteristics.html)

Mr Clean
04-29-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN@Apr 29 2003, 02:07 PM
I was wrong sort of

Specific conductance
Specific conductance is a measure of the ability of water to conduct an electrical current. It is highly dependent on the amount of dissolved solids (such as salt) in the water. Pure water, such as distilled water, will have a very low specific conductance, and sea water will have a high specific conductance. Rainwater often dissolves airborne gasses and airborne dust while it is in the air, and thus often has a higher specific conductance than distilled water. Specific conductance is an important water-quality measurement because it gives a good idea of the amount of dissolved material in the water.
Probably in school you've done the experiment where you hook up a battery to a light bulb and run two wires from the battery into a beaker of water. When the wires are put into a beaker of distilled water, the light will not light. But, the bulb does light up when the beaker contains salt water (saline). In the saline water, the salt has dissolved, releasing free electrons, and the water will conduct an electrical current.

The whole article LINK (http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/characteristics.html)
You were more right then wrong. Water is too stable a molecule, meaning it doesn't share electrons very easily, therefore conductance is low.

But then, you already know this... :P

Death-Dude
04-30-2003, 02:24 AM
It overcomes any conductive shortcomings by circulating quickly, and water coolers do a heck of a job. I, too, am still leery of water running through my rig, but like the walkthrough on AMDMB sez, you hook it all up, and run it for long enough to be sure it's contained. I'll be glad when AMD makes their die size bigger, and heatsinks will be able to do a better job on them. I believe the A64 chips will have the same edge-to-edge surface that the P4s have, and cooling might well be less of a problem for them. Let's hope.

EXEcution
04-30-2003, 02:35 AM
R one of you guys my science teacher? :rofl:

FUS1ON
04-30-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Death-Dude@Apr 29 2003, 09:24 PM
I'll be glad when AMD makes their die size bigger, and heatsinks will be able to do a better job on them.
Amen brother, I hear ya! :thumbs:

Death-Dude
05-01-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by xtremegamer@Apr 29 2003, 08:35 PM
Yes, and any idea when I will see your project analysis notes? :hmmm: :WTF: They are so late they're down to 40% credit! :w00t:

EXEcution
05-01-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Death-Dude+Apr 30 2003, 09:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Death-Dude @ Apr 30 2003, 09:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--xtremegamer@Apr 29 2003, 08:35 PM
Yes, and any idea when I will see your project analysis notes? :hmmm: :WTF: They are so late they&#39;re down to 40% credit&#33; :w00t: [/b][/quote]
Thats good cuz last time you said 30% :lol:
it&#39;ll be in on Monday (likely not)
I swear :rofl:

OUTLAWS DirtGod
05-01-2003, 12:00 PM
:WTF:

Mr Clean
05-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Death-Dude@Apr 29 2003, 08:24 PM
It overcomes any conductive shortcomings by circulating quickly, and water coolers do a heck of a job. I, too, am still leery of water running through my rig, but like the walkthrough on AMDMB sez, you hook it all up, and run it for long enough to be sure it&#39;s contained. I&#39;ll be glad when AMD makes their die size bigger, and heatsinks will be able to do a better job on them. I believe the A64 chips will have the same edge-to-edge surface that the P4s have, and cooling might well be less of a problem for them. Let&#39;s hope.
Actually, I don&#39;t know why we are talking about conductivity, for the purposes of cooling it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Water can absorb a tremendous amount of energy (heat is, of course, energy) for it&#39;s specific density and mass. In fact, pure water is better than, say, tap water, because tap water contains impurities, so you don&#39;t have as much water per given area and therefore you lower it&#39;s ability to absorb energy (although I&#39;m not sure it would lower it enough to even be a measureable amount for the purposes of cooling a PC...).

But that may be why distilled water is supposed to be used, because the purer the water the more heat it will absorb for a given volume....

Death-Dude
05-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Mr Clean+May 1 2003, 08:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr Clean @ May 1 2003, 08:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Death-Dude@Apr 29 2003, 08:24 PM
It overcomes any conductive shortcomings by circulating quickly, and water coolers do a heck of a job.&nbsp; I, too, am still leery of water running through my rig, but like the walkthrough on AMDMB sez, you hook it all up, and run it for long enough to be sure it&#39;s contained.&nbsp; I&#39;ll be glad when AMD makes their die size bigger, and heatsinks will be able to do a better job on them.&nbsp; I believe the A64 chips will have the same edge-to-edge surface that the P4s have, and cooling might well be less of a problem for them.&nbsp; Let&#39;s hope.
Actually, I don&#39;t know why we are talking about conductivity, for the purposes of cooling it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Water can absorb a tremendous amount of energy (heat is, of course, energy) for it&#39;s specific density and mass. In fact, pure water is better than, say, tap water, because tap water contains impurities, so you don&#39;t have as much water per given area and therefore you lower it&#39;s ability to absorb energy (although I&#39;m not sure it would lower it enough to even be a measureable amount for the purposes of cooling a PC...).

But that may be why distilled water is supposed to be used, because the purer the water the more heat it will absorb for a given volume.... [/b][/quote]
Right, the water cooling does a far superior job, regardless of the intrinsic conductant properties of water, ot anti-freeze, or whatever you run through it. I would guess they use distilled water to avoid gunk or whatever. I would think the next logical progression of this product would be one coming factory sealed and ready to fill, or maybe they&#39;re already doing that. I could go for that, I&#39;d think. If it came with a spurt-proof warranty, I&#39;d definitely be game.

Mr Clean
05-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Death-Dude+May 1 2003, 11:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Death-Dude @ May 1 2003, 11:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Mr Clean@May 1 2003, 08:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Death-Dude@Apr 29 2003, 08:24 PM
It overcomes any conductive shortcomings by circulating quickly, and water coolers do a heck of a job.* I, too, am still leery of water running through my rig, but like the walkthrough on AMDMB sez, you hook it all up, and run it for long enough to be sure it&#39;s contained.* I&#39;ll be glad when AMD makes their die size bigger, and heatsinks will be able to do a better job on them.* I believe the A64 chips will have the same edge-to-edge surface that the P4s have, and cooling might well be less of a problem for them.* Let&#39;s hope.

But that may be why distilled water is supposed to be used, because the purer the water the more heat it will absorb for a given volume....
Right, the water cooling does a far superior job, regardless of the intrinsic conductant properties of water, ot anti-freeze, or whatever you run through it. I would guess they use distilled water to avoid gunk or whatever. I would think the next logical progression of this product would be one coming factory sealed and ready to fill, or maybe they&#39;re already doing that. I could go for that, I&#39;d think. If it came with a spurt-proof warranty, I&#39;d definitely be game. [/b][/quote]
Agreed :cool: