PDA

View Full Version : Hey I need some help agian! Very Serious!!!

OUTLAWS BIOHAZARD
05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Im having a really serious problem my Norton antivirus 2003 program keeps telling me that I have viruses on my computer normally backdoor and Trojan but when I search for the files they do not seem to show anywhere. Im getting about 7-8 virus warnings 2 times a day I cannot figure out why it is doing this. Im very concirned mainly cause it says these files are located in the Win/32 folder and Explorer.exe is one of the supposive infected files. Now Ive just got another Norton pop up agian which displays 7 new infected viruses just in the time it takes me to ask for anyones help. Any help asap would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot!
BIOHAZARD

Grimmy
05-06-2003, 06:03 PM
does it give you the option to quarentine them?? If so, do that. Are your virus definitions up to date also?

SALvation
05-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Make sure in Windows Explorer you can see hidden and system files. There is a check box in Tools - Options I think. Whatever you do, if a virus is in your win folder...don't delete the file. You will pretty much be forced to reinstall Windows if you do.

JIMINATOR
05-06-2003, 06:20 PM
you may be receing infected spam from someone or a few people.
do you have an email client running all the time?
when NAV finds one of these, it deletes the attachments
and passes the rest of the letter then pops up a notification.
BTW: if you don't have the latest virus definitions, you want
to pick those up. good luck

OUTLAWS BIOHAZARD
05-06-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@May 6 2003, 06:20 PM
you may be receing infected spam from someone or a few people.
do you have an email client running all the time?
when NAV finds one of these, it deletes the attachments
and passes the rest of the letter then pops up a notification.
BTW: if you don't have the latest virus definitions, you want
to pick those up. good luck
Yeah thats what I think it is cause earler Sal helped me get rid of the messager pop up that had viruses in them. What do I do to get rid of infected spam? BTW:Yeah I do have a e-mail client running most of the time.

Thanks alot!
BIOHAZARD

JIMINATOR
05-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Well, close your email and see if the messages stop.
If that is the case, then you are fine. It just means
that someone else (or maybe a company) has
been virused and they are shooting out emails
to everyone in their address books. The only
thing you would be able to do is notify them or
ignore the emails. If you are still getting the
virus errors though, then it is a different problem.

OUTLAWS BIOHAZARD
05-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Im getting virus detections from Norton for a abundance of files that don't show on my computer at all.

Sirc
05-07-2003, 03:58 AM
Ya know, if DE hadn't stolen everyones tags today, none of this would have happened.

Grimmy
05-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Sirc@May 6 2003, 10:58 PM
Ya know, if DE hadn't stolen everyones tags today, none of this would have happened.
are you sure this was the right thread for that Sirc?? Or did you misclick?? :rofl:

Ra\/en
05-07-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Sirc@May 7 2003, 03:58 AM
are we bitter? :rofl:

OUTLAWS BIOHAZARD
05-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Sirc@May 7 2003, 03:58 AM
Huh? Whats that about?

OUTLAWS high ping camper
05-08-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by BIOHAZARD+May 7 2003, 07:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BIOHAZARD @ May 7 2003, 07:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sirc@May 7 2003, 03:58 AM
Ya know, if DE hadn&#39;t stolen everyones tags today, none of this would have happened.
Huh? Whats that about? [/b][/quote]
I have know idea what that has to do with your problem.

Are you still experiencing the pop ups? :hmmm:

OUTLAWS BIOHAZARD
05-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Sal helped get rid of the pop ups but Norton is still telling me that I have viruses on my computer usially about 14 viruses a day but when I check in and out of everything including the hidden files the virus infected files are not there I&#39;ve updated my virus definitions many times this week and there is nothing else to update I don&#39;t know what be causing this to happen. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks alot&#33;
BIOHAZARD

Death-Dude
05-09-2003, 10:16 PM
What the name of the virus? Symantec, as well as others, have tools for specific viruses that can help you get rid of a virus that is already on your machine. As others said, make sure your system scan is set to include all files, all file extensions. Boot into Safe mode to do a full drive scan has been recommended for some bugs. Check the quarantine folder to see if something is in there, and delete it if so. If your AV is updated, as it is, you should be stopping most that you would get in e-mails, like the so-popular Klez and so on, so maybe it is already on your machine, and you will need a cleaning tool. Give us the name, that might help.

OUTLAWS BIOHAZARD
05-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Death-Dude@May 9 2003, 10:16 PM
What the name of the virus? Symantec, as well as others, have tools for specific viruses that can help you get rid of a virus that is already on your machine. As others said, make sure your system scan is set to include all files, all file extensions. Boot into Safe mode to do a full drive scan has been recommended for some bugs. Check the quarantine folder to see if something is in there, and delete it if so. If your AV is updated, as it is, you should be stopping most that you would get in e-mails, like the so-popular Klez and so on, so maybe it is already on your machine, and you will need a cleaning tool. Give us the name, that might help.
Well there is not just one their are many and many of each of everyone. I know trojan is one and backdoor is another and I know atleast there are 7-8 of those there are a couple others and many of them too. The thing is they don&#39;t show on my computer at all its like my Norton is just flipping out or something but Im very cautious though and very watchfull for suspicious files on my computer.

Death-Dude
05-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by BIOHAZARD+May 9 2003, 06:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BIOHAZARD @ May 9 2003, 06:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Death-Dude@May 9 2003, 10:16 PM
What the name of the virus?&nbsp; Symantec, as well as others, have tools for specific viruses that can help you get rid of a virus that is already on your machine.&nbsp; As others said, make sure your system scan is set to include all files, all file extensions.&nbsp; Boot into Safe mode to do a full drive scan has been recommended for some bugs.&nbsp; Check the quarantine folder to see if something is in there, and delete it if so.&nbsp; If your AV is updated, as it is, you should be stopping most that you would get in e-mails, like the so-popular Klez and so on, so maybe it is already on your machine, and you will need a cleaning tool.&nbsp; Give us the name, that might help.
Well there is not just one their are many and many of each of everyone. I know trojan is one and backdoor is another and I know atleast there are 7-8 of those there are a couple others and many of them too. The thing is they don&#39;t show on my computer at all its like my Norton is just flipping out or something but Im very cautious though and very watchfull for suspicious files on my computer. [/b][/quote]
Well, Backdoor is a trojan horse type virus, and there are many strains of it. Here is Symantec&#39;s (http://securityresponse1.symantec.com/sarc/sarc-kr.nsf/html/backdoor.slackbot.b.html) site discussing treatment of Backdoor.Slackbot.B for example. Check the specific virus, then search for it and see if there is something more that can be done.

Yellow[GummiBear]
05-13-2003, 02:36 PM
I would also recommend grabbing Spybot from download.com... it finds some things that adaware doesn&#39;t and it also helps clean up your registry of things that there are still entries for but no longer exist. It&#39;s freeware too :thumbs: