PDA

View Full Version : GM hosting...would you want it?

SALvation
05-19-2003, 06:47 PM
I need everyone's opinion on this subject. We have a chance to offer web hosting for a very cheap price. This would be full hosting where we could host your website, give you FTP, email, everything alot of you guys have been asking for...and we could do it for a cheap price. Now I just need to know if people want it bad enough for us to get it.

Here are the details. All accounts would get this:

Ensim Site Admin Control Panel
Frontpage 2002 Extensions
No set limit Subdomains
Lots of Email Addresses
Apache Web Server
Server Side Includes (SSI)
SuEXEC (chrooted)
SSL
Log Files
Frontpage 2002 Extensions
Personal CGI-BIN
Htaccess
Sendmail Mail Server
Aliases
Responders & Vacation Message
Web-based Squirrel Mail
Mail Forwarding
Spam Filters
Majordomo Mailing Lists
POP3 + IMAP
SMTP Authorization
ProFTPD FTP Server
Scripting Tools (Perl, Python, PHP4)
Backup and Restore Manager
Usage Reports
Site Statistics
File Manager
File Upload
MySQL Database
Traffic Monitoring
Spamcop.net spam control
ordb.org spam control
Webalizer statistics

Would you guys be interested? If there is enough demand we'll do this. Please post opinions. Thanks.

V98ci
05-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Yes, I would be interested. Probably the 8.95 plan.

Die Hard
05-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Sounds like a great deal to me ;)
Well done Sal :thumbs:

Sirc
05-19-2003, 07:02 PM
I think that's pretty competitive! Does that include a full domain, or subdomain?

Would off-site hot linking to pics and avatars be allowed?

If there is enough interest, when would it be available? If we are talking a week or two then I would also be interested in the $8.95 plan.

Saretta
05-19-2003, 07:06 PM
That sounds good. How would non Americans pay for it? Credit Card?

SALvation
05-19-2003, 07:10 PM
You could have your own domain or a gamemecca subdomain.

You could do whatever you wanted with your domain. Link whatever you want, wherever you want. You would get your own FTP and account. I think the only restriction is no adult pay sites...but there is no restriction on what you can upload and download for you sick freaks :D

The preferred method of payment would probably be PayPal. That covers all countries. I'd have to check on alternatives.

If we did this it would be available in a matter of days.

Sirc
05-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@May 19 2003, 03:10 PM
I think the only restriction is no adult pay sites...
Nevermind. :bawling:

:w00t: Just kidding! :P

Slash
05-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@May 19 2003, 02:10 PM
You could have your own domain or a gamemecca subdomain.

You could do whatever you wanted with your domain. Link whatever you want, wherever you want. You would get your own FTP and account. I think the only restriction is no adult pay sites...but there is no restriction on what you can upload and download for you sick freaks :D

The preferred method of payment would probably be PayPal. That covers all countries. I'd have to check on alternatives.

If we did this it would be available in a matter of days.
So adult free sites are fine then? :devil:

SALvation
05-19-2003, 07:36 PM
LOL...sick Outlaws. :D

You can upload and transfer whatever you want...just don't put it on a webpage on your domain.

Death Engineer
05-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Prices sound good. Don't have anything to host right now.

My questions would be about speed and bandwidth. How many of these accounts do you plan to offer? Is the bandwidth shared with GM? What kind of pipe is it on? Does it have a backup? That kind of stuff. ;)

JIMINATOR
05-20-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Sirc+May 19 2003, 03:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sirc @ May 19 2003, 03:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--SALvation@May 19 2003, 03:10 PM
I think the only restriction is no adult pay sites...
Nevermind. :bawling:
[/b][/quote]
5 GB wouldn&#39;t be enough for an adult site...

OUTLAWS DirtGod
05-20-2003, 02:04 AM
sounds cool sal i would be interested..:)

THUMBS
05-20-2003, 02:16 AM
I own one name already and am looking to find a new host due to mine just went out business. Question that i have is as well how many people will be on this, also i am going to purchase another domain name and would like to have 2 seperate names and they will take from the same amount of space as i pay for, i just dont want to do the subdomain. It you would type in www.space.com you would get that if you type www.pigeonguy.com then you get that, not have to goto www.space.com to find a link to www.pigeonguy.com, i believe the name is called virtual hosting. Hope i didnt confuse you or me, or well you get the idea.

Thumbs :hmmm:

THUMBS
05-20-2003, 02:19 AM
hey also, most sites offer a &#036;1 discount per month if a year is paid in advance, is that the case here? Also, yes that would only apply to the &#036;8.95 amonth one, not the cheaper ones....that would not be right and not profitiable. (wow spelling).

SALvation
05-20-2003, 02:49 AM
As far as a yearly discount I&#39;m sure we could do something similar.

Virtual hosting I will have to find out about.

People would be on the same service that gamemecca is currently on. We&#39;ve been using them for 9 months and we get great performance. We average 750,000 page hits a month and we have excellent speed, are almost always up, and I can&#39;t think of any major problems we&#39;ve had because of our host.

As far as how many would be on the service. I don&#39;t have control over how many people would be on each server. Our host does that but they have a great track record of not overloading so far. On our end, as more people signed up and showed interest, we would keep upgrading our account to make sure everyone would have enough bandwidth and space.

Keep the questions coming. It seems like there is interest so I think we will be doing this.

OUTLAWS Tip
05-20-2003, 03:35 AM
I have my own website just for the hell of it. Prices look great and look like a good deal for me. I am paid up until the end of September I think, but could switch when my plan runs out.

:thumbs: