PDA

View Full Version : A bad sign?

MR. SLiK
05-20-2003, 03:07 AM
Today I receieved 5 system errors, due to my computer repeatedly restarting itself. I touched my hard drvies and they were very hot (not burning my hand hot but it was up there), could this be attributing to the problem?

SALvation
05-20-2003, 03:08 AM
Hard drives are naturally very hot. If you are really concerned maybe space them out a bit or buy a hard drive cooler.

ZeLL
05-20-2003, 05:44 AM
you overclocking anything, some OS's have the writing to turn off if it gets too hot to do damage.

Fred Bear
05-20-2003, 07:21 AM
dont sound good

JIMINATOR
05-20-2003, 07:25 AM
ok, hard drives won't cause errors like this. a bad powersupply will. a bad hard drive
will cause data failures and so forth, but not restarts.

anyway, my advice is the usual, get a can of compressed air and blow everything out,
all the fans and including the powersupply. rock all the cards,
memory, and cables to ensure that they are seated well.
If you have never blown out the dust from your system, you will
be surprised at how much there is.
good luck, and let us know if it helps...

ME BIGGD01
05-21-2003, 01:21 AM
if your system keeps restarting try booting up into safemode by clicking the f8 key after post. if you can boot up into safe mode then it's a driver issue or irq issue. if it restarts before os loads, then check your memory to see if a module is faulty.always unplug system and do a quick power on after you unplug it to make sure all power is out of system. :thumbs:

MR. SLiK
05-21-2003, 01:41 AM
Well i have usually solved this problem by putting a house fan to blow into my computer. I doubt its over heating, 45 C is the max i have gotten.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
05-21-2003, 01:43 AM
Have you replaced the power supply yet?

ME BIGGD01
05-21-2003, 02:13 AM
keep the pc off for one hour and boot it up and see if you get a crash right away. if it takes awhile ck to see if your video card is overheating. helps to know the os.

MR. SLiK
05-21-2003, 03:38 AM
WHOCARES: I havent. i really need to push myself to do that one of these days.

BIGD: It doesnt happen right away, but i have been trying to scan my comp but it keeps restarting in the middle and getting system error. Very suspicious...

ME BIGGD01
05-21-2003, 04:24 AM
if you are running winxp or 2000, bootup into command console (press f8 during post and select on menu) and run chkdsk /f

maybe a hard drive error

could be heat related to video card or cpu

whats the chipset you have? and cpu? do you have all drivers installed correctly?

how many sticks of ram do you have? are they the same brand ? try running with one stick at a time to see if this resoves the problem.

ck to see if you have irq's being shared. if so try disabling things that you do not use such as com ports, midi ports and game ports(this is done in your bios, usually holding down del key as soon as you power on pc) you free up 3 irq's here

try to see if your processor heatsing and fan is installed correctly. try reseating the cpu.

i don't think it's the pwer supply but would need to know specs of your pc and power supply. but i doubt it's this.

did you try booting up in safe mode? if so, do you still get system error in safe mode.

are you getting the error code? what does the error say?

MR. SLiK
05-21-2003, 04:53 AM
Error code: Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 8053f0f0, parameter3 e65f8000, parameter4 00000135.

When i send it in, microsoft says its caused be a device driver but they dont know how to fix it yet or some **** like that. WInXP Pro im using.

ME BIGGD01
05-21-2003, 05:14 AM
slik, go down my list of suggestions and let me know how you make out.

Elessar
05-21-2003, 06:31 AM
dude that sounds like a memory problem to me

memory may of fried or something

Mr Clean
05-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Just my two cents, and Slik I'm not an expert like the rest of these guys, but it sounds an awful lot like a virus I had last year. Have you been able to run a virus scan? The virus I had, the name of which I forget, wouldn't even let Norton run, it would crash that too...

Just a thought since no one mentioned that yet. BIGG, if I'm full of **** please say so. I don't want to lead Slik on a wild goose chase.

Death-Dude
05-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr Clean@May 21 2003, 11:44 AM
Just my two cents, and Slik I'm not an expert like the rest of these guys, but it sounds an awful lot like a virus I had last year. Have you been able to run a virus scan? The virus I had, the name of which I forget, wouldn't even let Norton run, it would crash that too...

Just a thought since no one mentioned that yet. BIGG, if I'm full of **** please say so. I don't want to lead Slik on a wild goose chase.
That's good advice anytime, update and scan your machine when you are AFK for a while. BIGG's list has plenty for him to work on, and it should help him to isolate a malfunctioning item. And, as JIM said, blow out the PS as well....I've seen two machines lately that seemed to have nothing else wrong with them but that, good to do to rule it out if nothing else. They were indeed filthy as hell.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
05-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Slik you need to change that PS

MR. SLiK
05-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Well everytime I try to scna wqith Housecall the comp restarts with a system error.

MR. SLiK
05-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Ok i got it again and i reported it and MS gave me this:

determined that this crash event was likely caused by:

A hardware failure reported by your Central Processing Unit (CPU)

I have lots of stuff plugged into an old power strip (from about 7 yrs ago), its totally full with an additional 2 extensions that each have 2 plugs on them, 3 out of the total 4 being used.

The thing is though, at LANs when i only had the monitor and power cord in a strip it would freeze in games. This weekend im gonna go get a new power supply though.

MR. SLiK
05-24-2003, 02:09 AM
I found something, in my bios now it says my RAM is PC1600, when all of the sticks (2 256 1 512) are all PC2100. I have tested the memory before and there were no problems.

MR. SLiK
05-24-2003, 03:45 AM
i actually got to finish a virus scan, so no viruses.

Grimmy
05-24-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by MR. SLiK@May 20 2003, 11:53 PM
Error code: Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 8053f0f0, parameter3 e65f8000, parameter4 00000135.

When i send it in, microsoft says its caused be a device driver but they dont know how to fix it yet or some **** like that. WInXP Pro im using.
I have had that error before. I have an ATI 9700 pro and I just reinstall the drivers for it and been fine ever since. My machine didn't restart thought, just had something crash when I logged in. Have had it reboot maybe twice on me, wasn't really doing anything, it just rebooted. :rolleyes: