PDA

View Full Version : Gaming is good for you!

OUTLAWS Tip
05-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Playing Video Games Not So Mindless After All

May 29, 9:47 am ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Hours spent playing action video games may not be as mindless as many parents think.
Whether it's Spiderman or Grand Theft Auto 3 or others, the fast-moving action of the games seems to improve a range of visual skills.

"Although video-game playing may seem to be rather mindless, it is capable of radically altering visual attentional processing," Daphne Bavelier, of the University of Rochester in New York, said in a letter to the science journal Nature.

In four experiments Bavelier and her colleague C. Shawn Green discovered that people who played video games several times a week for six months could monitor complex visual information more easily than non-game players.

But when the researchers gave novices 10 hours of training on the game Medal of Honor, they improved their visual processing skills.

"By forcing players to simultaneously juggle a number of varied tasks (detect new enemies, track existing enemies and avoid getting hurt, among others) action-video-game playing pushes the limits of three rather different aspects of visual attention," Bavelier said.

:P

Pure_Evil
05-29-2003, 03:57 PM
Hot Damn! Sending this to the Fun Vampire as soon as possible!! :thumbs: :wave:

Saretta
05-29-2003, 04:26 PM
:thumbs:

:P @Pure

Aries
05-29-2003, 05:25 PM
visual complexity and rsi forever :wootrock:

Death Engineer
05-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Yeah right. Like my wife's gonna buy THAT one! :P

V98ci
05-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@May 29 2003, 10:57 AM
Fun Vampire!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JIMINATOR
05-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Visual complexity :thumbs:
Going blind because of staring at the screen too much :down:

:wootrock:

Death-Dude
05-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@May 29 2003, 09:57 AM
Joseph Leiberman?? :hmmm:

I think gaming in general helps to stimulate something in your mind; creative thought, problem solving, performance under pressure. Before video games, I'd done lots of other types of gaming, board games, bridge, and several sports, and I think active participation in any of those helps to keep your mind juices flowing. But, like anything else, doing it to the exclusion of all else can have it's pitfalls.

EXEcution
05-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Games rule no matter what!! :thumbs:

SoulReaver
05-29-2003, 10:26 PM
thnx for the info :thumbs: