PDA

View Full Version : Whopper of the Week

Thundarr
06-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Whopper of the Week: Donald Rumsfeld
Don Rumsfeld, meet Dick Cheney.
By Timothy Noah
Posted Friday, May 23, 2003, at 12:51 PM PT

"I don't believe anyone that I know in the administration ever said that Iraq had nuclear weapons."

—Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, at a hearing of the Senate's appropriations subcommittee on defense, May 14

"We believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons."

—Vice President Dick Cheney on NBC's Meet the Press, March 16

Full story - Slate.com (http://slate.msn.com/id/2083532/)

Pure_Evil
06-02-2003, 05:51 PM
:lol:

typical! :rofl:

EXEcution
06-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Okay :lol:

OUTLAWS Jag
06-02-2003, 06:54 PM
:lol:

Elessar
06-02-2003, 08:01 PM
i wish Rumsfeld would run for president.

and no one said he had nuclear weapons, they said "we believe he has"

but if they outright said he has nuclear weapons that would be a different story
but, they didnt

so how was this a whopper?

Thundarr
06-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Elessar@Jun 2 2003, 04:01 PM
i wish Rumsfeld would run for president.

and no one said he had nuclear weapons, they said* "we believe he has"

but if they outright said he has nuclear weapons that would be a different story
but, they didnt

so how was this a whopper?
Guess you didn't read Cheney's entire interview??? Cheney Interview Transcript (http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/886068.asp?cp1=1)
MR. RUSSERT: The Los Angeles Times wrote an editorial about the administration and its rationale for war. And let me read it to you and give you a chance to respond: “The Bush administration’s months of attempts to justify quick military action against Iraq have been confusing and unfocused. It kept giving different reasons for invasion. First, it was to disarm Hussein and get him out. Then, as allies got nervous about outside nations deciding ‘regime change,’ the administration for a while rightly stressed disarmament only. Next, the administration was talking about ‘nation-building’ and using Iraq as the
cornerstone of creating democracy in the Arab/Muslim world. And that would probably mean U.S. occupation of Iraq for some unspecified time, at open-ended cost. Then, another tactic: The administration tried mightily, and failed, to show a connection between Hussein and the 9/11 perpetrators, Al Qaeda. Had there been real evidence that Hussein was behind the 9/11 attacks, Americans would have lined up in support of retaliation.”
What do you think is the most important rationale for going to war with Iraq?

VICE PRES. CHENEY: Well, I think I’ve just given it, Tim, in terms of the combination of his development and use of chemical weapons, his development of biological weapons, his pursuit of nuclear weapons.
MR. RUSSERT: And even though the International Atomic Energy Agency said he does not have a nuclear program, we disagree?
VICE PRES. CHENEY: I disagree, yes. And you’ll find the CIA, for example, and other key parts of our intelligence community disagree. Let’s talk about the nuclear proposition for a minute. We’ve got, again, a long record here. It’s not as though this is a fresh issue. In the late ’70s, Saddam Hussein acquired nuclear reactors from the French. 1981, the Israelis took out the Osirak reactor and stopped his nuclear weapons development at the time. Throughout the ’80s, he mounted a new effort. I was told when I was defense secretary before the Gulf War that he was eight to 10 years away from a nuclear weapon. And we found out after the Gulf War that he was within one or two years of having a nuclear weapon because he had a massive effort under way that involved four or five different technologies for enriching uranium to produce fissile material.
We know that based on intelligence that he has been very, very good at hiding these kinds of efforts. He’s had years to get good at it and we know he has been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons. And we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons. I think Mr. ElBaradei frankly is wrong. And I think if you look at the track record of the International Atomic Energy Agency and this kind of issue, especially where Iraq’s concerned, they have consistently underestimated or missed what it was Saddam Hussein was doing. I don’t have any reason to believe they’re any more valid this time than they’ve been in the past.
:hmmm:

Pssst: What's the story with "Saving Private Lynch"? :P Sounds like another whopper may be on the way... :hmmm:

JIMINATOR
06-02-2003, 10:46 PM
The spins begins.

It just reaffirms that all politicians are liars,
doesn't matter what party.

Elessar
06-02-2003, 11:55 PM
im sorry, but i did not see anything that said he has nuclear weapons
just firm belief that he has a nuclear weapons program.
:wave:

JIMINATOR
06-03-2003, 01:30 AM
Well,
I have my own personal nuclear weapons program.
It involves buying uranium from a old soviet weapons plant
and building my own plant to process and refine it.
I am still looking for the funding and also the hiring
of scientists and experts in the handling of hazardous
materials, and also black market detonators and so forth.

In other words, you can spin it but it doesn't fly.
They were implying much more than some theory some guy
had in his head.