PDA

View Full Version : Intel ITANIUM 2

Phil
06-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Although Intel Itanium 2 is a server use,has it turned to the game use?

JIMINATOR
06-07-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Phil@Jun 7 2003, 01:24 AM
Although Intel Itanium 2 is a server use,has it turned to the game use?
I'd have to say not. The main thrust of the cpu is to run 64 bit code.
In order to use that feature, programs have to be rewritten and or recompiled
for the 64 bit support. That is a pretty major task.
So the cpu comes out at what, 1.2 Ghz or so, and it runs
regular 32 bit code slower than normal. I think it would
be a pretty bad gaming system. (but then I may be an idiot, what do I know...)
the athlon on the other hand will do 64 bits as an extension, so it should rock!!

Grimmy
06-07-2003, 07:14 AM
although, what about if it was used for setting up a server?? Not actually playing the game, but running a server? Wouldn't that be a tad bit better?? :hmmm:

Scorch
06-07-2003, 07:36 AM
It should be up when Intel start with 64bit proccessors.

Death-Dude
06-07-2003, 09:33 PM
How 64 bit processors will do with gaming is an important question, but I know that many game companies are long-since on board with the 64-bit platform, so that shouldn't be the snag, I'd think. Does the Itanium do 32-bit code as well, like the A64s?

JayChyl
06-07-2003, 09:57 PM
i can bet that there will be even 128 bit processor, but for that we need to wait some of time.

:shifty:

chaotic42
06-08-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Death-Dude@Jun 7 2003, 04:33 PM
How 64 bit processors will do with gaming is an important question, but I know that many game companies are long-since on board with the 64-bit platform, so that shouldn't be the snag, I'd think. Does the Itanium do 32-bit code as well, like the A64s?
Only in emulation, and even then not well. Apparently Intel is planning on doing something about it.

You'd need to use an IA-64 supported OS, and then the programs would have to be recompiled with IA-64 optimizations for it to be worth it. If you have the need for an Itanium 2 system, you'll know it.

They are also very, very expensive.

ME BIGGD01
06-08-2003, 07:14 AM
may i speak? :P :lol:

first the itanium2 will not be used for a gaming system. and to remind everyone it was a flop with the first itanium.

second it will not be hard to port anything over for 64 bit and should be as easy as they did when they went from 16 bit to 32 bit.

third it will a common move for the game servers and games to do once 64 bit os is made. i believe around october there will be a 64 bit windows xp out.

4th, amd has a server processor out called the opteron which is a 64 bit cpu but unlike the the itanium 1 and 2 it can run 32 bit applications without emulation like the itanium which will not run 32 bit.

5th- september will be the reease of the 64 bit chip for us. it will be a desktop cpu and it will be 32/64 bit. there are games that are already being ported to 64 bit. the name of the processor is going to be called the athlon64. it is also going to be priced very good.

the itanium= around 3000.00 which sucks and can not run 32 bit only 64 bit

the itanium2= around the same thing in price but runs better than there first release and still sucks at 32 bit

the opteron=800.00 kicks ass and blows away itanium and xeon chips and can runs both 32 bit and 64 bit. only problem right now is motherboards are scarce and very hard to get. this will change regardless.

the athlon 64--this will be the best of both worlds with backward compatibility. it will be fast and be out in september. this will retake the crown for amd and also give us freaks the abilty to run 64 bit and 32 bit.

it does not pay to bu a new system right now if you do not need to. things will change quickly this year and we are going to benefit. :thumbs:

Phil
06-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Thank you very much! :P