PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to Offer Own Antivirus Product

FUS1ON
06-11-2003, 01:13 AM
That's bad news for Symantec and Network Associates, But good news for us as consumers. Or is it? :hmmm:

SEATTLE (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. said Tuesday it will acquire antivirus technology from a Romanian software company and develop its own antivirus product, stepping into a market it has long ceded to others specializing in software security.
The rest of the story LINK (http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MICROSOFT_ANTIVIRUS?SITE=LASHT&SECTION=HOME)

Slice
06-11-2003, 01:16 AM
Let's play Monopoly. I get the top hat oh and Broadway & Park Place. :D

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
06-11-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Slice@Jun 10 2003, 09:16 PM
Let's play Monopoly. I get the top hat oh and Broadway & Park Place. :D
I already own hotels there
PAY UP!!

Grimmy
06-11-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS WHOCARES+Jun 10 2003, 08:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS WHOCARES @ Jun 10 2003, 08:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Slice@Jun 10 2003, 09:16 PM
Let&#39;s play Monopoly. I get the top hat oh and Broadway & Park Place. :D
I already own hotels there
PAY UP&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
And I live there, but pay no rent :P

Death-Dude
06-11-2003, 05:52 PM
More like, "We&#39;ll let you have Baltic Avenue, we&#39;ll take the rest. And we may want a piece of Baltic Avenue later."

This part is interesting...it would kinda leave M&#036; to be altruistic, we can trust Bill, can&#39;t we?

"But some questioned Microsoft&#39;s foray.

Michael Rasmussen, an analyst at Forrester Research Inc., compared Microsoft&#39;s decision to "mafia-type" behavior of offering additional protection for customers who pay extra for it.

"The world does not want Microsoft to be a security vendor, it wants Microsoft to provide secure products," Rasmussen said."

Man in striped suit, black shirt, black tie - "Nice little computer you have here....be a shame if something were to &#39;happen&#39; to it......maybe you need to hire me for a little &#39;protection&#39; service....."

Dissectional
06-11-2003, 06:29 PM
I think a bigger concern would be how are they going to license/sell it? I have used Norton/Symantec for years at home and work. You pay a moderate price for initial purchase, even at a corporate level, and about &#036;10 a year for Live Update Automatic service per user, and not much more for home use. After that expires, you can download updates for free...even for older versions. If Microstink is going to introduce an AV solution similar to let&#39;s say Office XP, you would have to buy Software Assurance, Media Kit and License...to protect yourself from the even bigger bone they will throw at you when they release a new version in 18 months. Just think of the poor suckers who bought Win2K with software assurance, which is only good for two years, and still had to turn around and pay long dollar for Win2K3 which came out after the 24 month life span of software assurance. Money, money, money....

Death-Dude
06-11-2003, 09:17 PM
I think you&#39;re right, Diss, they would have several new avenues to both charge you and snoop on you.....I&#39;ll stick with Norton. Also, since MS progs like Word, Outhouse, and Excel are targeted heavily, I&#39;d hate to have the virus pigs writing bugs to attack the AV solution.

Slice
06-11-2003, 09:28 PM
What will be even worse is when 3rd party applications such as Norton won&#39;t even work with the latest operating system that M&#036; puts out.

UncleSam
06-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Any bets on how long it will take someone to Hack it??