PDA

View Full Version : My New Card

Rivers
06-17-2003, 07:09 AM
Alright ladies and germs the moment no body but myself has been waiting for......my new video card. I got so fed up with trying to save up for the big boys that I just broke down and decieded to buy the discontinued Radeon 9500 Pro. I saw a few on the shelves at Best Buy and realized they were left overs. I got a question for ATI card users. I downloaded two driver updates from the site but didn't use the CD the card came with. Should I use the CD or should I be just fine with the new stuff I got? I also would like to say I saw little difference from my old Geforce 4 MX 440 and this one till I played that buggy bitchy game devistation. Man oh man this card hacked so much more then my old one would in a wet dream. I also decided to bump up the rez in other games and I'm pretty satisfied with the end result. I'm still running the damn thing at 4x AGP since that's all my board can support. I bet it would be even more rockin' at 8x. :jammin:

Grimmy
06-17-2003, 07:27 AM
Congrats Rivers on your new card!! :wootrock: ATI WOOTERS! :drink:

I am not sure about the cd. I am going to take a stab at this, but the CD installs some other goodies, like the ATI control panel, which you can do different things, change your res. quickly, and other stuff (I don't tough it, or I'd "F" it up probably :rolleyes: )

I think it installs like a media player also. I can't remember everything it installs. What ya could do, create a system restore point. Install the stuff from the CD, and if you don't like it, go back to that restore point, or uninstall that stuff.

Just make sure you get the latest drivers. They make a world of difference!!

When I first got my rig together, and that card installed, I couldn't break 1000 on the old drivers. :wacko: After upgrading the drivers for it, I hit like mid 3000's. After doing the bios and a few other things, I finally hit like around 4600.

Again, remember that was with a 9700 Pro, so yours I'd think should be respectivily close. Hope it works for ya. I think you will love that card man!! :drink: :thumbs:

Rivers
06-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks a lot for the tips Grimm. Its not quite the 9700 Pro but It'll have to do. I'm pretty sure I got the latest drivers already but I'm going to double check just to be on the safe side. :oooo:

JIMINATOR
06-17-2003, 12:10 PM
WTG Rivers!
Look in the hardware threads for old threads about video cards.
The 9500 pro is the same as a 9700 pro,
there are driver hacks to enable all of the missing features,
i had posted urls in one of the previous articles
anyway, enjoy that card, i know it has been a long time coming for you

FUS1ON
06-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Congrats Rivers :thumbs:
Also, I wouldn't sweat the 8x thing since most games don't take advantage of it ...... Yet

EXEcution
06-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Congrats!! :thumbs: I wanaa new card too but u cant doo much with 3 PCI slots and no AGP! :bawling:

ME BIGGD01
06-17-2003, 11:04 PM
agp 8x--no need today--ck back tommorow

ati 9500= great card like the 9700 just better benchmarks with 9500

cd that came with card--junk --goto the ati websight and download the latest drivers including control panel. anything else on that cd can be downloaded at ati

good luck with the card. :thumbs:

Rivers
06-18-2003, 04:39 AM
Yeah I got all the stuff including the control pannel and I downloaded it from the site. I really like this card and I noticed a WORLD of difference in my Devastation game. :cool:

ZeLL
06-18-2003, 06:09 AM
just incase your wondering why the 8x don't matter, 8x is the speed for doing stuff like using the mb's memory rather than the video cards. Because almost every game out today doesn't need more than 128 mbs of memory space, our radeons have it full covered and then some.

8x will come in handy when huge kickass maps like maybe half life 2 come out.

have fun with that card, take advantage of it by using the anti aliasing and anistropic filter, 2x AA and 4x AF