PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Winston Cup .......

FUS1ON
06-20-2003, 09:21 PM
and hello Nascar Nextel Cup Series. As a long time Nascar fan that sounds strange to me. Old dog, New trick :down:

The world of stock-car racing changed quickly and dramatically Thursday morning with the announcement that Nextel Communications Inc. of Reston, Va. will back NASCAR's top series for 10 years, starting in 2004.
The rest of the story LINK (http://www.nascar.com/2003/news/headlines/wc/06/19/nascar_nextel/index.html)

I guess I knew it had to happen sooner or later what with all the anti-smoking ads and smoking area restrictions being enforced in many public places nowadays. Nascar is the premier racing series in the US and it's not the "Good 'ol Southern boy" sport it once was, It's big time now what with major corporate dollars being spent you knew changes were in the plans. Just look at how many sporting arenas & venues have changed their names due to the influence or influx of corporate moneys. Case in point, Charlotte Motor Speedway is now known as Lowe's Motor Speedway. I'm sorry, It will forever be known to me as just Charlotte. I agree that the money that these corporations bring is what allows me to be able to watch every Sunday, But it's also killed off some of the smaller tracks that helped make NASCAR what it is today.

Goodbye to the Winston Cup name, May you R.I.P. :bawling:

Anti smoking plug:
I've smoked cigarettes for close to 15 years and am currently trying to quit because it's a nasty & expensive habit in more way than one. I've seen the results of smoking up close and personal. If you smoke, STOP. Trust me the food taste better, Your teeth will look brighter, You can smell things that you couldn't before and YOU will smell better to others around you. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention, You might just live longer too. ;)

FASTway
06-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Good luck quitting smoking Shogun.
I know you can do it. :thumbs:

At least Nascar didn't get sponsored by Tampax

SIFI
06-20-2003, 11:19 PM
good luck sho :thumbs:

FUS1ON
06-20-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by FASTway@Jun 20 2003, 06:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Guys :thumbs:

Die Hard
06-20-2003, 11:48 PM
sh1t, I've been smoking for way too long :unsure:

Dan2
06-20-2003, 11:55 PM
Wow, I thought Coca-Cola, McDonalds, or Visa were going to be the big sponser. The Nextel Cup. Sounds weird. Oh well, political correctness has creeped into our sport. Will the beer companies be next?
Shogun you're right about Charlotte. How cheesey is calling it Lowe's Motor Speedway. Can you believe Darlington is in danger of losing a race??? Its all about the greed. :down:
Keep on Keepin' on with kickin' the habit Shogun!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

FUS1ON
06-21-2003, 12:28 AM
IMO Losing a Darlington date would be tragic and a big mistake. It could happen though with tracks like Texas, Las Vagas & California just begging for more dates and the big money sponsors backing them up.
Hey aren't they racing at North Wilkesboro next week? Oh yeah I forgot, That track lost it's dates. :( I miss the little bullring tracks like that one, The bodymen knew Monday morning what was in store for them. ;)

BTW Restricter plates make me wanna puke! :mad: That kind of racing is as boring as CART or IRL. :oooo:

OUTLAWS Spike
06-21-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by FASTway@Jun 20 2003, 05:13 PM

Hey FASTway, did you ever see that movie Blue Collar w/ Jeff Foxworthy? There was a joke along those lines. :rofl:

Anyway I think it will be good for the sport that Nextel will be sponsoring it, the reported pay out will be $700 million over the next 10 years.

Although I do hate it that some of the tracks that made NASCAR what it is today will surely be phased out, if I am correct Darlington has allready lost one of its races :bawling: , and that is a great track w/ alot of history!

Hey guys I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, Shogun hates restrictor plate racing becauase Ford hasn't figured it out yet :P

DEI Rulz !!

SALvation
06-21-2003, 04:21 AM
I'm only an occasional fan but the NASCAR Nextel Cup sounds weird even to me. I actually went to a race at MIS (Michigan International Speedway) about 4 years ago with my now wife and her family. We were in the infield and that was one hell of an experience :D

As for smoking would you believe I've never even tried one cigarette. I enjoy cigars on special occasions (like selling a house) but never tried a cig. Cigars to me seem non-addictive (are they supposed to be addictive?) and are a great way to just sit back and relax.