PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck with joining the USAF!

chaotic42
06-20-2003, 10:19 PM
I tried to join once when I was 17. I had bad knees, so I couldn't duck walk like I needed to. I was supposed to get a waiver, but the doctor at MEPS (military processing) messed up.

Now I'm in Indiana and I'm trying again. I've been working on my knees, praying, eating semi-right, all in hopes of joining up. It's what I want to do in life.

So wish me luck! I go in Wednesday at 8am.

:)

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
06-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Good Luck! :thumbs:

UncleSam
06-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Good luck Dude!

ME BIGGD01
06-20-2003, 10:31 PM
good luck, be safe, and god bless--thank you :wave:

EXEcution
06-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Good Luck! :thumbs: PS What the USAF? (im serious i dont know)

SIFI
06-20-2003, 10:33 PM
good luck dude :thumbs:

FUS1ON
06-20-2003, 10:33 PM
Hope you make it Chaotic42 :thumbs:

FUS1ON
06-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by XtremeGamer@Jun 20 2003, 05:32 PM
Good Luck! :thumbs:  PS What the USAF? (im serious i dont know)

EDIT: I shouldn't have post that comment, Sorry :cool:

SIFI
06-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by XtremeGamer@Jun 20 2003, 06:32 PM
Good Luck! :thumbs: PS What the USAF? (im serious i dont know)
United States Air Force

EXEcution
06-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by SIFI+Jun 20 2003, 06:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SIFI @ Jun 20 2003, 06:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--XtremeGamer@Jun 20 2003, 06:32 PM
Good Luck&#33; :thumbs:&nbsp; PS What the USAF? (im serious i dont know)
United States Air Force [/b][/quote]
Thanx i am a dumb@&#036;&#036; for not figuring that out, GOOD LUCK AGAIN&#33;&#33;&#33; :thumbs:

FASTway
06-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by chaotic42@Jun 20 2003, 03:19 PM
I had bad knees, so I couldn&#39;t duck walk like I needed to.

Walking like a duck would hurt anybody&#39;s knees. :wacko:

Good luck man,
Great career choice.

Dissectional
06-20-2003, 11:38 PM
All I can say is GO NAVY&#33; 10 year vet baby and still serving...but all inter-service grudges aside...

Good luck brother...and take it from BM1(SW) Plummer, E6...it will be worth everything that you put into it.

Hope the best for you&#33; :thumbs:

Die Hard
06-20-2003, 11:42 PM
break a leg man :thumbs:

chaotic42
06-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Die Hard@Jun 20 2003, 06:42 PM
break a leg man :thumbs:
That&#39;s what I&#39;m trying to avoid ;)

Thanks everyone&#33;

OUTLAWS The Machine
06-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Good luck&#33;

OUTLAWS The Machine
06-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Chaotic ======> http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/sarge/Tomcat.gif

Scorch
06-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Good luck&#33;

OUTLAWS Spike
06-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Best of Luck to you&#33; :jammin:

SASQUATCH
06-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Chaotic42 good luck and let me know what your MOS will be ok.
Make sure also that you read the rules and most important do not sign
a contract without your mos included to be sure what you want ok and not
what they want understand. Send me a PM if you need help
or at least talk to your family before making a decisions.

Good Luck my friend. . . . :thumbs:

PimpDaddy
06-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Good Choice Chaotic.........I was usaf back in the day..... entered in Nov of &#39;72 (Viet Nam still going on)....went through basic training got into tech training school and was getting ready for my first assignment when the war was called off in Jan of &#39;73. (I want to believe the VietCong knew I was ready to come over ;) ) I got out in &#39;76 (E4) Good Luck Bro and thanx in advance for your service to our country &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

V98ci
06-21-2003, 07:51 PM
I salute your dedication to your country&#33; :thumbs: :wootrock: :thumbs: :wootrock:

chaotic42
06-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by SASQUATCH@Jun 21 2003, 10:04 AM
Chaotic42 good luck and let me know what your MOS will be ok.
Make sure also that you read the rules and most important do not sign
a contract without your mos included to be sure what you want ok and not
what they want understand. Send me a PM if you need help
or at least talk to your family before making a decisions.

Good Luck my friend. . . . :thumbs:
Yeah, my family is helping me out quite a bit. My dad&#39;s sneaky..

Dad:

Army
.1946-1947: 3rd Armored Div-Sherman tank gunner
.1947: 1st Cavalry browning gunner
USAF
.1948-1955: Administrative worker
.1955-1957: Drill Seargent
.1957-1962: Recruiter
.1962-1966: Investigator
1966: Retired E-7

Uncle John:
.1969-1972: Medic in Vietnam
.1972-present: Radar operator, E-9

Those are the ones I have lot&#39;s of detail about.

Other family members:

Cousin Charlie-C130 engine mechanic, USAF
Cousin Jaime-C130 engine mechanic, USAF
Uncle Charles-Vehcile repair, US Army in the 70s
Cousin John-Military Police, USAF
Cousin John&#39;s wife-Intelligence, Spanish Cryptolinguist

My dad&#39;s been helping me out a lot.

I appreciate your offer. Not being in the military seems weird. I guess I need to learn the USAF song.

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder.

lol

Thanks everyone&#33;

PimpDaddy
06-22-2003, 12:39 AM
:thumbs:

OUTLAWS high ping camper
06-22-2003, 01:15 AM
Good luck chaotic42&#33; :thumbs:

SASQUATCH
06-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by PimpDaddy@Jun 21 2003, 10:37 AM
(I want to believe the VietCong knew I was ready to come over ;) )&nbsp;

Be grateful you didn&#39;t go my friend because you might have been dead and chances are that you would have, believe me.

Vietnam was a war that took adjustment for us to learn how to fight the way the Vietcong did and they were experts and we were in there turf.

Ugly war and a war to be forgotten but remembered on both sides. . . .

JIMINATOR
06-22-2003, 05:37 AM
Good luck dude&#33;
It looks like you have a good support team.
Let us know how it goes&#33;

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Fantum309
06-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Anything you do at one MEPS will be transferred to the other&#33; (I worked in 2 different Meps in my 12 years on active duty. DO NOT TRY TO HIDE THE TRUTH about your previous processing at the other meps. They will know how many times you ASVAB tested and taken a physical.

If you get a waiver and are accepted for enlistment, pick your job and swear in. After your sworn in, and you change your mind, tell your recruiter you want a different MOS or you don&#39;t want to go. Either way, if you decide that you don&#39;t want to go, you are not obligated until the day your scheduled to ship and you swear in again. The second swear in is the "point of no return".

Good luck and I believe the Air Force is an excellent choice. Back when I was in the Corps, information provided to me shown that the Air Force get the most money for their operations from the DOD than any of the other branches. That means the facilities are better supplied, the PX&#39;s are better, and more is made available to you as a service member. Additionally, the USAF has the best academic programs of all the other branches. Get all you can and enjoy the travels.

chaotic42
06-22-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Fantum309@Jun 22 2003, 07:02 AM
Anything you do at one MEPS will be transferred to the other&#33; (I worked in 2 different Meps in my 12 years on active duty. DO NOT TRY TO HIDE THE TRUTH about your previous processing at the other meps. They will know how many times you ASVAB tested and taken a physical.

If you get a waiver and are accepted for enlistment, pick your job and swear in. After your sworn in, and you change your mind, tell your recruiter you want a different MOS or you don&#39;t want to go. Either way, if you decide that you don&#39;t want to go, you are not obligated until the day your scheduled to ship and you swear in again. The second swear in is the "point of no return".

Good luck and I believe the Air Force is an excellent choice. Back when I was in the Corps, information provided to me shown that the Air Force get the most money for their operations from the DOD than any of the other branches. That means the facilities are better supplied, the PX&#39;s are better, and more is made available to you as a service member. Additionally, the USAF has the best academic programs of all the other branches. Get all you can and enjoy the travels.
Thanks for the advice. I&#39;m not going to hide it. I&#39;m just going to tell him that my legs were weak (if he asks), squat, and show him that my legs are fine.

Even if they don&#39;t want to let me in, the doctor at Shepard AFB said to send him a waiver and he&#39;ll sign it.

So I should be good to go. I hope I do better on the ASVAB this time.

I can&#39;t wait to go in&#33;

I&#39;m planning on being a 3C0. I used to want to be a 1N3X1, specializing in Russian Cryptolinguistics.

SASQUATCH
06-22-2003, 08:13 PM
This is what you maybe doing ok. The good thing about this is that when you leave or have servered your time you should find work without a problem and the key in joining the service is to be able to get something out of it.

3C0&#39;s are Comm. Computer Systems Operators. You could end up doing any of the following duties:

1. Helpdesk-basically answering phones and troubleshooting computer problems for users. You&#39;re the 1st line of "defense". Everyone on base that has trouble with their computer will be calling the helpdesk first. It&#39;s stressful and busy, but the days fly by. Anyone, from the base commander to the dining hall cashiers, might call with a problem. Normally you&#39;ll spend a few minutes trying to diagnose and fix the problem with them, and if you can&#39;t get it fixed, you&#39;ll open a work order for one of the technicians to go look at and fix.

2. Small Computer Technician- Here you&#39;ll be responsible for actually doing hands on troubleshooting and repair work. Normally the helpdesk will open a problem report and you&#39;ll actually go out to the office or location of the problem and fix it there. If it can&#39;t be fixed there, you&#39;ll bring it back to the shop and work on it there. The shop I worked in was kinda split. There were people who preferred not to go out and fix things, so we&#39;d just bring the computers that needed fixed back to the shop and they stayed and worked on them, while we took care of things out in the field. It&#39;s always busy.

3. LAN Install- LAN Installers are responsible for installing network hardware such as routers, hubs, new network cabling, etc. For example if a new building or office was opened or reconstructed, etc, the LAN installers would have to go in and install the network ports in the walls, run the network cable, hook them up to the hubs that give network access. These folks get to crawl through ceilings and other fun places tor run wire for the network.

4. LAN Admin- This is where the network administrators work. They&#39;re in charge of running the servers, configuring the network, creating accounts, giving network security, etc. Lots of responsibility here, and if something goes wrong with the network, these folks are running around like mad.

chaotic42
06-22-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by SASQUATCH@Jun 22 2003, 03:13 PM
This is what you maybe doing ok. The good thing about this is that when you leave or have servered your time you should find work without a problem and the key in joining the service is to be able to get something out of it.

3C0&#39;s are Comm. Computer Systems Operators. You could end up doing any of the following duties:

1. Helpdesk-basically answering phones and troubleshooting computer problems for users. You&#39;re the 1st line of "defense". Everyone on base that has trouble with their computer will be calling the helpdesk first. It&#39;s stressful and busy, but the days fly by. Anyone, from the base commander to the dining hall cashiers, might call with a problem. Normally you&#39;ll spend a few minutes trying to diagnose and fix the problem with them, and if you can&#39;t get it fixed, you&#39;ll open a work order for one of the technicians to go look at and fix.

2. Small Computer Technician- Here you&#39;ll be responsible for actually doing hands on troubleshooting and repair work. Normally the helpdesk will open a problem report and you&#39;ll actually go out to the office or location of the problem and fix it there. If it can&#39;t be fixed there, you&#39;ll bring it back to the shop and work on it there. The shop I worked in was kinda split. There were people who preferred not to go out and fix things, so we&#39;d just bring the computers that needed fixed back to the shop and they stayed and worked on them, while we took care of things out in the field. It&#39;s always busy.

3. LAN Install- LAN Installers are responsible for installing network hardware such as routers, hubs, new network cabling, etc. For example if a new building or office was opened or reconstructed, etc, the LAN installers would have to go in and install the network ports in the walls, run the network cable, hook them up to the hubs that give network access. These folks get to crawl through ceilings and other fun places tor run wire for the network.

4. LAN Admin- This is where the network administrators work. They&#39;re in charge of running the servers, configuring the network, creating accounts, giving network security, etc. Lots of responsibility here, and if something goes wrong with the network, these folks are running around like mad.
Yeah, I&#39;ve got quite a bit of experience with this stuff, so it should be pretty easy. I&#39;d really like to be a network admin, so I&#39;ll hope for that. I just want something that will give me the chance to get a good job afterwards. I&#39;m not sure if I&#39;m going to do 20 years or not.

SASQUATCH
06-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by chaotic42+Jun 22 2003, 03:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chaotic42 @ Jun 22 2003, 03:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--SASQUATCH@Jun 22 2003, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I&#39;ve got quite a bit of experience with this stuff, so it should be pretty easy. I&#39;d really like to be a network admin, so I&#39;ll hope for that. I just want something that will give me the chance to get a good job afterwards. I&#39;m not sure if I&#39;m going to do 20 years or not. [/b][/quote]
Just start off the minimal for now and if you like it then you can make that decision while you&#39;re in.

Network admin you can get your certification before going in or get it while you are in and I am sure they will have you in that department.

Hope it works out for you and it is a good field and there will be lots of work if you should decide to serve the minimal.

chaotic42
06-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by SASQUATCH@Jun 22 2003, 03:19 PM
Network admin you can get your certification before going in or get it while you are in and I am sure they will have you in that department.

Hope it works out for you and it is a good field and there will be lots of work if you should decide to serve the minimal.

Yeah, I&#39;ve got some experience with Unix networking. Like 8 years or so. I&#39;m the network admin among other things at the radio station I work at now, but it&#39;s Lantastic networking (blech).

My roomate&#39;s dad is a retired 3C0, and he&#39;s making &#036;80/hr for Lockheed Martin.

SASQUATCH
06-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by chaotic42+Jun 22 2003, 05:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chaotic42 @ Jun 22 2003, 05:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--SASQUATCH@Jun 22 2003, 03:19 PM

Yeah, I&#39;ve got some experience with Unix networking. Like 8 years or so. I&#39;m the network admin among other things at the radio station I work at now, but it&#39;s Lantastic networking (blech).

My roomate&#39;s dad is a retired 3C0, and he&#39;s making &#036;80/hr for Lockheed Martin. [/b][/quote]

Nick
06-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Please don&#39;t bomb any Canadians when your up there &#33;&#33; :P
Good Luck &#33;&#33; :thumbs:

OUTLAWS DirtGod
06-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Good luck to you man :thumbs:

chaotic42
06-25-2003, 11:27 PM
Ok, I&#39;m back from the recruiter. I had some weird problems from the last time I joined, but it looks like everything is ok. The only problem is that I have to lose 10 pounds in two weeks&#33;

I&#39;ve got it planned out though.

chaotic42
06-30-2003, 03:03 PM
:sigh:

Well, bad news. I have a degenerative cartilege disorder. That&#39;s a permanent DQ for all branches.

:bawling:

I&#39;m pretty bummed.

SALvation
06-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Damn. is that a serious health risk?

EXEcution
06-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by chaotic42@Jun 30 2003, 11:03 AM

Well, bad news. I have a degenerative cartilege disorder. That&#39;s a permanent DQ for all branches.

I&#39;m pretty bummed.
im sorry to hear that

Dissectional
06-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by chaotic42@Jun 30 2003, 10:03 AM

I&#39;m pretty bummed.
I am sorry to hear that too.

At least you have the heart to have wanted too man. And I know I&#39;m not the only guy that appreciates that kind of heart. :thumbs: :drink:

chaotic42
06-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@Jun 30 2003, 10:13 AM
Damn. is that a serious health risk?
Thanks guys.

I&#39;m not sure how serious it is. At least I can now admit that my knees hurt like hell all of the time. :)