PDA

View Full Version : Buddhism

Phoenix
06-27-2003, 03:08 AM
Are there any Buddhists on this forum? If so, I am interested in the religion and would like to look into it. Now, what I need to know is: Where do I start? I am beggining to read the book Siddartha, which people tell me you should do if you are interested in Buddism*Not to the mention the fact that is in an amazing work and should be read by all, not just people interested in Buddism.*

JIMINATOR
06-27-2003, 03:24 AM
It sounds like you are in search of a path. Buddhism is a good start,
learn what you can from it, then on to the next. There is a lot
to be learned, just leave yourself open to the experiences.
A part of you will know what is truth or not, but it needs the
raw information first before it can fully process it.
I am not really sure where you are headed, but the road to
self discovery can be a painful one. Often we have to destroy
ourselves and our preconceived notions of what reality
is in order that we can have a clearer vision of ourselves and our surroundings.
As a religion, buddhism probably isn't what you are looking for,
but if you look in your area, you can probably find some zen
meditation groups that meet weekly for meditation sessions.
Good luck to you and your search.

Herbus Maximus
06-27-2003, 03:25 AM
Go read... The Tao of Pooh. It's a great book! It's an easy read and it gives you the basics to start on. :thumbs:

Herbus Maximus
06-27-2003, 03:36 AM
Well said Jiminator!
Phoenix....I like to think that Buddhism is more of a way of looking/reacting to life more so than a religion.

but as Jim said too...keep your options open. No one religion has all the answers but there are answers to find in each religion.. If you are getting interested in such things, look around and take to heart the things that feel right to you.

Death Engineer
06-27-2003, 03:47 AM
While I disagree with you guys on the basis of the Bible ("I am the way, the truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by me", John 14:6), I can appreciate your looking for something that goes beyond this life Phoenix. Many won't even take that step. :thumbs:

Phoenix
06-27-2003, 03:58 AM
Thank you all for your input. Yeah, I guess I am trying to find something. Not sure what it is though, lol.
Herbus, is it really called "The Tao of Pooh"?
Oh, and thank you all for your support. I will keep you updated on my search *Does that sounds pretentious?*

Phoenix
06-27-2003, 04:00 AM
Oh, and this is kind of a dumb question, but where would I go about looking for a place that has buddishts? Are their gathering places called temples? Would I look in the yellow pages :wacko:
This also goes for the Zen meditation.

Herbus Maximus
06-27-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix@Jun 26 2003, 07:58 PM
Thank you all for your input. Yeah, I guess I am trying to find something. Not sure what it is though, lol.
Herbus, is it really called "The Tao of Pooh"?
Oh, and thank you all for your support. I will keep you updated on my search *Does that sounds pretentious?*
Yes...The Tao of Pooh. And yes...it is after the Pooh bear and all his friends. I know it sounds silly but it really is kinda' insightful.

JIMINATOR
06-27-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix@Jun 27 2003, 12:00 AM
Oh, and this is kind of a dumb question, but where would I go about looking for a place that has buddishts? Are their gathering places called temples? Would I look in the yellow pages :wacko:
There are probably metaphyiscal or new age type stores in your area.
They will usually have local circulars that include information/ads/etc as to
local study groups/temples/etc.
You may find some info in the phone book, but maybe not.
As for buddhist temples, I don't know much about them, but many
probably cater to native buddhists and not to westerners, so I
would find out about that aspect beforehand.

Phoenix
06-27-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR+Jun 27 2003, 04:14 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JIMINATOR @ Jun 27 2003, 04:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Phoenix@Jun 27 2003, 12:00 AM
Oh, and this is kind of a dumb question, but where would I go about looking for a place that has buddishts?&nbsp; Are their gathering places called temples?&nbsp; Would I look in the yellow pages :wacko:
There are probably metaphyiscal or new age type stores in your area.
They will usually have local circulars that include information/ads/etc as to
local study groups/temples/etc.
You may find some info in the phone book, but maybe not.
As for buddhist temples, I don&#39;t know much about them, but many
probably cater to native buddhists and not to westerners, so I
would find out about that aspect beforehand. [/b][/quote]
Grazie&#33; I already know of a store like the one you mention. Lets hope they know something :)

solid snake295
06-27-2003, 04:19 AM
theres a big ass budda temple here in niagara falls, i want to go in there some time but i dont know if im allowed. and i dont want to get jumped by a bunch of monks that come down from the rafters with big sticks that they hit you in the legs with....ahh i play too much video games :rofl:
theres even a big gong out front, how loud do you think it would be if i nailed it with my patatoe cannon? :P

Herbus Maximus
06-27-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix@Jun 26 2003, 08:00 PM
I looked in the phonebook for temples in my area.
As for the meditation....you don&#39;t need to go to a temple for that. There are chants and prayer beads used to help in Zen meditations but really any way you you meditate is fine. It&#39;s the getting to know your mind and how you think and why you react is what&#39;s important when you meditate. It&#39;s to get through all the day to day garbage that floods through your head to get to hear your real voice, thoughts, feelings.

or something to that effect. :P

He Is Legend
06-27-2003, 04:20 AM
I dont belive in religion, i belive in god, just i dont belive in religion, if you wanna belive in god, do it, but you dont have to have a religion to say you worship something

He Is Legend
06-27-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by solid snake295@Jun 26 2003, 11:19 PM
theres a big ass budda temple here in niagara falls, i want to go in there some time but i dont know if im allowed. and i dont want to get jumped by a bunch of monks that come down from the rafters with big sticks that they hit you in the legs with....ahh i play too much video games :rofl:
theres even a big gong out front, how loud do you think it would be if i nailed it with my patatoe cannon? :P
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JIMINATOR
06-27-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by solid snake295@Jun 27 2003, 12:19 AM
SS, you going to hell&#33;

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Sirc
06-27-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Herbus Maximus@Jun 27 2003, 12:19 AM
It&#39;s the getting to know your mind and how you think and why you react is what&#39;s important when you meditate. It&#39;s to get through all the day to day garbage that floods through your head to get to hear your real voice, thoughts, feelings.
Sounds dangerous. I have enough trouble ignoring those damn voices in my head. They&#39;re the ones that make me do bad things here on the forums. :unsure: :P