PDA

View Full Version : The reasons I like Quake3 better.

OUTLAWS The Machine
07-02-2003, 02:26 AM
1. There is no spaming involved. With Sam there is grenades, rockets, cannon balls flying randomly everywhere. Not so in Quake.
2. Netcode is better. No F9s. No jerking you back and fourth lag.
3. When someone dies - they die. They don't pop back to life and kill you because of the net code.
4. A lot more maps.
5. More mods.

need I go on. :oooo:

Let the flames begin. :devil:

EXEcution
07-02-2003, 02:31 AM
I agree, but Sam is still cool. I figure when i fragged u in that game today cuz u werent moving a tear must have run down ur cheek! :P

OUTLAWS The Machine
07-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Sam is still cool. That's why I still play it.

OUTLAWS Tip
07-02-2003, 02:58 AM
For Quake there are too many updates, settings, maps, punkstuff, grapple thingies. The graphics are too dark, the rooms too cramped.

In Sam all, I have to do is lock and load.
Spamming/ f9's etc are just part of the game. Actually doesn't bother me much anyhow. lol
:rofl: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Sirc
07-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Jul 1 2003, 10:26 PM

2. Netcode is better. No F9s. No jerking you back and fourth lag.
3. When someone dies - they die. They don't pop back to life and kill you because of the net code.

Not true. I've gotten kicked from several games. And when you lag you can shoot all you want at someone and they don't die.

No flame intended, just an honest observation. Things may look smoother in Q3, and they may be a bit, but don't be tricked. Lag is a problem in all online games.

Sirc
07-02-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Tip@Jul 1 2003, 10:58 PM
For Quake there are too many updates, settings, maps, punkstuff, grapple thingies. The graphics are too dark, the rooms too cramped.

Spamming/ f9's etc are just part of the game. Actually doesn't bother me much anyhow. lol
Agreed. I dread having to install Q3. But Shoggy's guide is gonna help a lot. :thumbs:

And frankly I don't like freeze tag. It is not the game to start with. If you're a noob you're just gonna be frozen most of the game. Not a good way to learn how to play. :bandhead:

FASTway
07-02-2003, 04:05 AM
Well I'm a big fan of both games.

But Croteam could learn a thing or two about supporting their products the way id (or whoever made Quake) does. The Freeze tag mod gets patched (I don't know who patches this mod) more often than Sam plus the latest patches make the game better unlike Sam and the infamous 1.07 patch(which I think made netplay more unstable IMO).

Plus the mapping and mod community for Quake is way better than Sam.

FUS1ON
07-02-2003, 04:06 AM
Sam is a great game that has alot of potential to become a awesome game. It's just a shame that Croteam doesn't offer smaller patches instead of trying for a "All in One" fix. Kinda makes me think that it really needs a total redo of the code. If that happens, What changes will they have to make to the game so that it works properly, Hopefully none. Honestly I think they (Croteam) are in over their heads and afraid to admit it. Or either it can't be fixed because at least some of the problems would have been fixed by now. I really wish them luck, Because I love the game and remember the good times i've had playing it and the great friends i've met because of Sammy. :cool:

BUT In the meantime, I'm have more fun than the law allows playing Q3 UTF. :thumbs:

Sirc, Thanks I really hope that guide helps people, You of all people should know how sloooooow I type :rofl:

FUS1ON
07-02-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Tip@Jul 1 2003, 09:58 PM

The reason for all those updates were because Grimmy & myself talked Frag into trying out the beta versions of UFT and it caused a bunch of confusion and problems for some people. The v1.2 of UTF is now Final so that shouldn't be a problem for a while. Hopefully in the future we will stick to just the final versions and leave the betas alone.

The Punkbuster updates are to try and cut out the cheaters and that in turn makes the games more fun. Punkbusters updates maybe happen every 6 months or so.

Too many maps? Tell me you don't get tired of the same old maps all the time. :oooo: Remember all the FE maps you and the guys used to play on Shogun's Dojo? PZ Arena, Alnitak, The Islands, etc ..... sound familiar? Damn that was fun! :thumbs:

Q3's graphics too dark. The gamma settings can be adjusted just as they can in Sam.

Grappling hook - How many of you would like to have this to use to get at those campers in Hole's Lava room? :D

I'm not trying to convince or convert you all. Just stating the facts. :D

JIMINATOR
07-02-2003, 08:13 AM
a couple of things i would love to see for sam se would be powerups that would not disappear at death - like quake - and some bots. then you could always find a game. as for the grappling hook in the lava room - rocket jump baby! :devil:

by darkness, i think he meant that the textures are darker, and hell, also more bland...

anyway, now i can rack up the wins with you guys gone... :P

Dissectional
07-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Id did the same thing with Q3 that they are going to do with Doom 3, well, almost.
The textures are more bland so the game can naturally run at a higher FPS. Doom 3 they took the mulitplayer out so you could see the textures and effects in all thier glory.

I like to play both games. When I started playing Q3 when it came out there wasn't a grapple that I can remember, so that is taking some getting used to. The addition of Punkbuster is great, don't have to worry about cheaters really at all.

They both have their place, and they are both fun....but they aren't UT2K3 :jammin:

:rofl:

Sepra
07-02-2003, 08:08 PM
I've only played a few games of FT and I think I'm getting hooked!! :rolleyes: :wootrock:

Sepra
07-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Except for the Fragpunk server (or whatever the name is) Junkfrag maybe??? I played that last night and got the crap scared/beat out of me and i'm scared to go back :unsure: It's too tough for me. :bawling:

Pure_Evil
07-02-2003, 08:28 PM
UT 2003 beats them both! But Q3 with Outlaws is more fun than sam, but I seem to only find bots on Outlaws server lately :bawling:

SSSE is a great concept, but it's a beta game, they screwed you guys. One cannon can kill a server, that just sucks.

Q3 graphics are weak, but game is smooth.

UT 2k3 is smooth, but some seem too lazy to learn the weapons and moves, even though most weapons are simmilar to SSSE, that's why ,IMO, most SSSE players like instag better.

But UT 2k3 is my first choice, I play the others to see familliar players mostly.

He Is Legend
07-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Quake 3 sucks because

1.Netcode (for me) sucks and jerks me back and forth every minute
2.graphics suck
3.when you kill someone blood goes everywhere and you cant see

Why sam is better

1.when you kill someone, it looks very cool and turnes to gibs
2.when someone shoots a rocket you can explode it with a shotgun and it makes them explode
3.better graphics
4.cause its the only game im good at :rofl:

He Is Legend
07-02-2003, 08:29 PM
but UT2K3 beats it all :drink:

JIMINATOR
07-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Chaotic@Jul 2 2003, 04:28 PM
Damn straight! That's the best reason! :thumbs:

OUTLAWS The Machine
07-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Chaotic@Jul 2 2003, 04:28 PM
Quake 3 sucks because

2.graphics suck

Why sam is better

2.when someone shoots a rocket you can explode it with a shotgun and it makes them explode
3.better graphics
I think you have the 2 games reversed. :P

OUTLAWS Spike
07-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine+Jul 2 2003, 05:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS The Machine @ Jul 2 2003, 05:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Chaotic@Jul 2 2003, 04:28 PM
Quake 3 sucks because

2.graphics suck

Why sam is better

3.better graphics
I think you have the 2 games reversed. :P [/b][/quote]
Thats what I was thinking&#33;&#33; I was like man this guy doesn&#39;t have a clue&#33;&#33; :rofl:

Sepra
07-03-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Terminathare+Jul 2 2003, 07:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS Terminathare @ Jul 2 2003, 07:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sepra@Jul 2 2003, 12:10 PM
Except for the Fragpunk server (or whatever the name is) Junkfrag maybe???* I played that last night and got the crap scared/beat out of me and i&#39;m scared to go back* :unsure:*&nbsp; It&#39;s too tough for me.* :bawling:
You are brave&#33; I&#39;m too scared to go in there myself :unsure: ph34r [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s a dangerous place Term.......I got a total of four frags and I was damn lucky to get those precious four. They&#39;re animalistic maniacs in that server fragging left and right......very intimidating. :unsure:

FASTway
07-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Sepra@Jul 2 2003, 01:10 PM
Except for the Fragpunk server (or whatever the name is) Junkfrag maybe???* I played that last night and got the crap scared/beat out of me and i&#39;m scared to go back* :unsure:*&nbsp; It&#39;s too tough for me.* :bawling:
LOL,
It is called the Junkphreak server.
Instagib freeze tag.

I love playing there and there is always people there. There is a 20 person limit on the server. There is quite a big map rotation also but you can download the map packs from the junkphreak website.

Those guys are hardcore gamers LOL but they seem mostly friendly. :thumbs:

Also on their website they have a link to Gamemecca so maybe we will get to meet some of them soon. :thumbs:

Pure_Evil
07-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by FASTway+Jul 3 2003, 12:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FASTway @ Jul 3 2003, 12:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sepra@Jul 2 2003, 01:10 PM
LOL,
It is called the Junkphreak server.
Instagib freeze tag.

I love playing there and there is always people there. There is a 20 person limit on the server. There is quite a big map rotation also but you can download the map packs from the junkphreak website.

Those guys are hardcore gamers LOL but they seem mostly friendly. :thumbs: [/b][/quote]
:hmmm: Have to try that :thumbs:

He Is Legend
07-04-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Spike+Jul 2 2003, 06:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS Spike @ Jul 2 2003, 06:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -OUTLAWS The Machine@Jul 2 2003, 05:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Chaotic@Jul 2 2003, 04:28 PM
Quake 3 sucks because

2.graphics suck

Why sam is better

3.better graphics
I think you have the 2 games reversed. :P
Thats what I was thinking&#33;&#33; I was like man this guy doesn&#39;t have a clue&#33;&#33; :rofl: [/b][/quote]
:dry: