PDA

View Full Version : Illegal operation.........

OUTLAWS high ping camper
07-05-2003, 09:41 PM
I don't know a lot about PC's. But I do know enough to screw someones else's up.

Well, actually it was already getting error messages (at reboot) when I got a hold of it.

Here's the names of the exe files that come up in the error boxes: WINKYFB, WINKMSC, WINKJDA, and last but not least WINKTH.

I've searched the web, looking for a description of these file, but have found nothing.

The OS is Windows 98. I went into msconfig's start up tab and found that all of these files are check marked to run.

Unchecking them results in a system that locks up.

Please, I don't want to here the standard answer here "uhh you need to re-install the OS"...bite me, that's the wussy's way out! :)

Anyone know the descriptions of the above files?

Come on......impress me with your knowledge! :)

Slice
07-05-2003, 09:57 PM
What is the error message?

OUTLAWS high ping camper
07-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Slice@Jul 5 2003, 01:57 PM
Something about a fatal error occuring, or an illegal operation, and contacting the software provider.

Heck, I'm a drinker .......you don't expect me to remember everything do ya? :)

BTW, the PC still works, it's just annoying having to close out the message boxes each time the PC is turned on.

Phobos
07-05-2003, 10:18 PM
sorry canīt help :P

EXEcution
07-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS high ping camper+Jul 5 2003, 06:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS high ping camper @ Jul 5 2003, 06:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Slice@Jul 5 2003, 01:57 PM
Something about a fatal error occuring, or an illegal operation, and contacting the software provider.

Heck, I&#39;m a drinker .......you don&#39;t expect me to remember everything do ya? :)

BTW, the PC still works, it&#39;s just annoying having to close out the message boxes each time the PC is turned on. [/b][/quote]
i get something similar on XP too :hmmm: i dont worry about it thouh

OUTLAWS high ping camper
07-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Phobos@Jul 5 2003, 02:18 PM
sorry canīt help :P
Thanks Phobos.....you don&#39;t know....how much...that...means to me&#33; :P

EXEcution
07-05-2003, 10:28 PM
my error isnt fatal though so.........................i dunno

Slice
07-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Do a search for those files and see where they reside on the hard disk. Try replacing just those files from the Win 98 CD, they may have become corrupt.

Crism
07-06-2003, 12:16 AM
uhh you need to install XP :w00t: :P 98 sucks

OUTLAWS high ping camper
07-06-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Slice@Jul 5 2003, 02:41 PM
Do a search for those files and see where they reside on the hard disk. Try replacing just those files from the Win 98 CD, they may have become corrupt.
I did a search, and they weren&#39;t found.

The only thing I forgot to do was look in "Add/Remove Programs" to see if there was anything there that resembled those file names.

And thank you.
I&#39;m going to continue to look around on the Web and see what I can find.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
07-06-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Crism@Jul 5 2003, 04:16 PM
uhh you need to install XP :w00t: :P 98 sucks
Thanks Crism, I&#39;m just happy it&#39;s not my PC. :)

JIMINATOR
07-06-2003, 02:23 AM
dunno, but it sounds like your friends system was partially virused.
i&#39;ve never heard of the files (which doesn&#39;t mean much)
and like you say, nothing on the web, (which would be strange if they were msoft files)
so if he has uninstalled or deleted anything recently,
to reinstall it, or else live with the boxes, or finally to take the wussy way out :D

He should prolly do a scan disk though to ensure that his drive has no corruption...

OUTLAWS high ping camper
07-06-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jul 5 2003, 06:23 PM
dunno, but it sounds like your friends system was partially virused.
i&#39;ve never heard of the files (which doesn&#39;t mean much)
and like you say, nothing on the web, (which would be strange if they were msoft files)
so if he has uninstalled or deleted anything recently,
to reinstall it, or else live with the boxes, or finally to take the wussy way out :D

He should prolly do a scan disk though to ensure that his drive has no corruption...
Thanks Jim.
I did a disk clean up, scan disk, and defrag. I hit ctrl-alt-dlt, he had 18 programs running, leaving him at 71% for "performance". So I went into msconfig and closed out 5 of them. He was at 83% by the time I was done.