PDA

View Full Version : I tried it

melonhead
07-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Well, thanks to you all for the help and encouragement, but I'm afraid Sam isn't for me. I can see it's appeal, but IMO it's got too many issues. Also, I'm a Quake man from way back, some UT, lot of Half-Life, and now BF1942, so I think I'm a little spoiled. :rolleyes: :wave: :wave:

JIMINATOR
07-10-2003, 06:43 PM
oh well, sorry to hear that. :thumbs:

I loved the game from the start, pretty mindless, unbelievable amounts of monsters to fight through

the multiplayer gaming was a nice bonus.

Just curious though, what problems did you see? (aside from unfamilarity with controls type thing)

:wootrock: :wootrock: :wootrock:

Falcor
07-10-2003, 08:14 PM
:hmmm: Ummmmmmmm......... Netcode! Oh yeah and NETCODE!! Example.... shooting and gibbing someone 2-3 times........ and their spattered remains recompile to shoot and kill you instead.

melonhead
07-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Well, here are my main points:

few servers
yucky netcode
physics were weird
mouse sensitivity awkward
couldn't see a thing :wacko:

I have a fast machine and video card, so it was not a hardware issue. I used commands to make models easier to see, and tried various mouse speeds; the game just didn't do it for me. It is a nice looking game, but I think it suffers from the same thing as UT2003, the textures and polys don't have much place in such a fast paced deathmatch scenario. I'll probably still play a little single player here and there, but basically I'm done.

SoulReaver
07-10-2003, 09:00 PM
sorry to hear that :(

(Villains) Crazy Idiot
07-11-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jul 10 2003, 07:43 PM
oh well, sorry to hear that. :thumbs:

I loved the game from the start, pretty mindless, unbelievable amounts of monsters to fight through

Just curious though, what problems did you see? (aside from unfamilarity with controls type thing)

:wootrock: :wootrock: :wootrock:
OH JIMY. :bandhead:
IF YOU ONLY KNEW HOW MANY NERVES I LEFT ON THIS UNFINISHED GAME!!!

JIMINATOR
07-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by cri+Jul 10 2003, 09:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cri @ Jul 10 2003, 09:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JIMINATOR@Jul 10 2003, 07:43 PM
oh well, sorry to hear that.&nbsp; :thumbs:

:wootrock:&nbsp; :wootrock:&nbsp; :wootrock:
IF YOU ONLY KNEW HOW MANY NERVES I LEFT ON THIS UNFINISHED GAME&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
come on cri, all you got to do is play a little, save game when health is high,
if it goes down too much, then f9
i did SE on easy and later FE on normal
normal sucks because you can not use rockets and grenades like on easy
some of those damn sections took days to complete&#33;
on the last level of SE outside the castle, i stayed way the hell back
and took everything out with a pistol.... that was before i realized that the ammo
and health pack would respawn in the little temple thing.
I was redoing SE on normal, and damn it is hard....

now see bulls with cannons&#33; like WTF???

How far did you get and at what difficulty?

Dangerous Dan
07-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by melonhead@Jul 10 2003, 08:16 PM

few servers
yucky netcode
physics were weird
couldn&#39;t see a thing :wacko:

I have a fast machine and video card, so it was not a hardware issue. I used commands to make models easier to see, and tried various mouse speeds; the game just didn&#39;t do it for me. It is a nice looking game, but I think it suffers from the same thing as UT2003, the textures and polys don&#39;t have much place in such a fast paced deathmatch scenario. I&#39;ll probably still play a little single player here and there, but basically I&#39;m done.
i love the physics in sam... thats why i have such a hard time playing other fps, hehe

Sirc
07-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Phrenic+Jul 10 2003, 10:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dr. Phrenic @ Jul 10 2003, 10:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--melonhead@Jul 10 2003, 08:16 PM

few servers
yucky netcode
physics were weird
couldn&#39;t see a thing :wacko:

I have a fast machine and video card, so it was not a hardware issue. I used commands to make models easier to see, and tried various mouse speeds; the game just didn&#39;t do it for me. It is a nice looking game, but I think it suffers from the same thing as UT2003, the textures and polys don&#39;t have much place in such a fast paced deathmatch scenario. I&#39;ll probably still play a little single player here and there, but basically I&#39;m done.
i love the physics in sam... thats why i have such a hard time playing other fps, hehe [/b][/quote]
Yep, I agree. Sam plays cleaner, despite the netcode, then other games do.

(Villains) Crazy Idiot
07-11-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR+Jul 11 2003, 02:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JIMINATOR @ Jul 11 2003, 02:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -cri@Jul 10 2003, 09:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--JIMINATOR@Jul 10 2003, 07:43 PM
oh well, sorry to hear that.* :thumbs:

:wootrock:* :wootrock:* :wootrock:
IF YOU ONLY KNEW HOW MANY NERVES I LEFT ON THIS UNFINISHED GAME&#33;&#33;&#33;
come on cri, all you got to do is play a little, save game when health is high,
if it goes down too much, then f9
i did SE on easy and later FE on normal
normal sucks because you can not use rockets and grenades like on easy
some of those damn sections took days to complete&#33;
on the last level of SE outside the castle, i stayed way the hell back
and took everything out with a pistol.... that was before i realized that the ammo
and health pack would respawn in the little temple thing.
I was redoing SE on normal, and damn it is hard....

now see bulls with cannons&#33; like WTF???

How far did you get and at what difficulty? [/b][/quote]
Thanks Jimy, but I&#39;m completly lost, dont&#39;t know where I am (I think near the castle)&#33;

JIMINATOR
07-11-2003, 02:59 AM
well, play a coop game and figure out where you are. you can see how it is supposed to be done...

(Villains) Crazy Idiot
07-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jul 11 2003, 03:59 AM
well, play a coop game and figure out where you are. you can see how it is supposed to be done...
Thanks Jimiy, BTW nice avatar you have&#33; :thumbs:

Morpheus
07-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jul 10 2003, 10:59 PM
aha i beat both on infinite ammo serious mode (play on split screen you can change settings)

EDIT: Checked and first encounter is doen on mental also.