PDA

View Full Version : Venting

Drunken Warrior
07-21-2003, 02:23 AM
:bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: WTF, why do I have to redo all my settings when switching between game types. isn't there a config file that holds all the common stuff like your f**king player name and control settings? I know I'm new to this but I tell you it is starting to piss me off with all this f**king around with settings each time I want to try something new. Having to wait for maps to down load is bad enough at pitiful speeds like 1kb/sec but then to start the game only to find out that none of your settings were saved :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead:

Sirc
07-21-2003, 02:27 AM
LOL! Yep, Q3 can be a bit of a time investment just getting to the point where you can play. Hopefully some of the Q3 gurus around here can offer some suggestions on the game settings.

OUTLAWS Spike
07-21-2003, 03:16 AM
any time you try a new mod, I think you have to re set-up your settings. :thumbs:

Fragetti
07-21-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Drunken Warrior@Jul 20 2003, 09:23 PM
:bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: WTF, why do I have to redo all my settings when switching between game types. isn't there a config file that holds all the common stuff like your f**king player name and control settings? I know I'm new to this but I tell you it is starting to piss me off with all this f**king around with settings each time I want to try something new. Having to wait for maps to down load is bad enough at pitiful speeds like 1kb/sec but then to start the game only to find out that none of your settings were saved :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead:
Dud relax :oooo:

just make sure your in the mod when you start changing settings. each mod has its own q3config in their respective mod folder. if you need the gm server maps let me know i will set you up. Hint hint I set something up and you should be able to DL the whole map pack in no time. :thumbs:

Drunken Warrior
07-21-2003, 03:36 AM
All this wouldn't be so bad, but I like trying new things and there is about 4,000 different mods with about 2,000,000 maps out there. :blink: I suppose if I lock myself up for a length of time and down load all the maps and mods that go with them I'll be ready to enjoy Q3 hassle free in about 50 years :rofl:

Sirc
07-21-2003, 03:38 AM
What particular mod are you trying? Just curious. :P

Fragetti
07-21-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Drunken Warrior@Jul 20 2003, 10:36 PM
All this wouldn't be so bad, but I like trying new things and there is about 4,000 different mods with about 2,000,000 maps out there. :blink: I suppose if I lock myself up for a length of time and down load all the maps and mods that go with them I'll be ready to enjoy Q3 hassle free in about 50 years :rofl:
Try to find a few of your best servers and set your self up. Thats why we have our own.
if you like a mod let me know and ill setup a server just for you :thumbs:

OUTLAWS Spike
07-21-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Drunken Warrior@Jul 20 2003, 08:23 PM
Little steps Grasshopper!!! :thumbs:

Grimmy
07-21-2003, 03:55 AM
Downloading the map packs from junkphread.com and installing them would definatelly help with the map stuff. :thumbs:

FUS1ON
07-21-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Drunken Warrior@Jul 20 2003, 09:23 PM
:bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead: WTF, why do I have to redo all my settings when switching between game types. isn't there  a config file that holds all the common stuff like your f**king player name and control settings? I know I'm new to this but I tell you it is starting to piss me off with all this f**king around with settings each time I want to try something new. Having to wait for maps to down load is bad enough at pitiful speeds like 1kb/sec but then to start the game only to find out that none of your settings were saved :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:  :bandhead:
I think there is a way to put all your settings in a file called autoexec.cfg, Then all you have to do is bind a button in each Mod to execute that file each time. It's only one step and your done. LINK (http://www.kan.org/michael/Quake/Quake4Dummies.htm) Frag posted this site the other day, See the section there on scripting. I haven't tried to figure it out myself yet. :cool:

synth
07-21-2003, 06:36 AM
Make a cfg file that you like, then make a copy of it. Save the copy incase of problems. When you try a new mod just copy your cfg file to your new mod. You might have change some settings for that mod but the rest of cfg like your binds will stay. This is what i allways do. Try it let me know if it works ya. Also the first time you run the mod q3 should copy over most of your settings. If it doesn't do the above.

Drunken Warrior
07-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN+Jul 20 2003, 11:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS SHOGUN @ Jul 20 2003, 11:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Drunken Warrior@Jul 20 2003, 09:23 PM
:bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead: WTF, why do I have to redo all my settings when switching between game types. isn&#39;t there* a config file that holds all the common stuff like your f**king player name and control settings? I know I&#39;m new to this but I tell you it is starting to piss me off with all this f**king around with settings each time I want to try something new. Having to wait for maps to down load is bad enough at pitiful speeds like 1kb/sec but then to start the game only to find out that none of your settings were saved :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:* :bandhead:
I think there is a way to put all your settings in a file called autoexec.cfg, Then all you have to do is bind a button in each Mod to execute that file each time. It&#39;s only one step and your done. LINK (http://www.kan.org/michael/Quake/Quake4Dummies.htm) Frag posted this site the other day, See the section there on scripting. I haven&#39;t tried to figure it out myself yet. :cool: [/b][/quote]
Thanks Shogun, that autoexec.cfg file really works :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

It took some time to get it right, but once it was set up all my settings were there, even when joining a new mod for the first time :thumbs: :thumbs:

Btw sorry about the venting, I was just having a bad day trying to play different mods and then having to start all over on the set-up crap :blink:

Drunken Warrior
07-21-2003, 10:10 AM
:wave: Frag got those maps for the servers???

Death Engineer
07-21-2003, 05:21 PM
Drunken,

Head on over to www.junkphreak.com (http://www.junkphreak.com) and click on Download Files and then UFT Maps (or something like that). Download all 7 map packs at lighting speed (assuming you have broadband) and then unzip all the files into your q3base folder. That should set you up for the majority of maps.

DE

Fragetti
07-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Drunken Warrior@Jul 21 2003, 05:10 AM
:wave: Frag got those maps for the servers???
Here ya go bud :thumbs:

GMmaps.net (http://gamemeccamaps.net/)

MR. SLiK
07-21-2003, 07:34 PM
there is a console command to save your config.

&#092;writeconfig [file name]

then to load it at any time, &#092;exec [file name]