PDA

View Full Version : my skills are mediocre

Tman
08-01-2003, 11:40 PM
:bandhead: I was just playing a fragmatch on OUTLAWS.. I realised that everyone else was able to aim so easily, especially with dbsg (and of course they take it out on me.. :bawling: ). I had until recently considered it impossible to aim so well on a moving object (without getting obliverated yourself.) Does anyone use something other than the mouse? Maybe it's the frequent-but-not-so-bad-at-least-usually-lag, maybe it's the fact that my mouse needed cleaning, or maybe I just suck ;). If anyone could give me a tip or two, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll start playing with the dbsg more (picked this one up in another thread) to see if it helps, but I doubt it will magically make all my problems go away, although hopefully I'll improve.

Blah. I talk too much. For your sake I'll shut up ;)

Sirc
08-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Questions: Where do you live, what kind of internet connect do you have, what kind of computer system do you have, how long have you been playing SS, etc. These all will affect gameplay.

Tman
08-01-2003, 11:51 PM
San Antonio, Texas, USA; I have ADSL; With XP; and I got SS a while ago but I only recently started playing it again, like two days ago. But I remember enough to be ok at it. And I'm playing Second Encounter, in case you wanted to know.

Sirc
08-01-2003, 11:57 PM
As long as you have a computer system that can give you decent frame rates, then it comes down to just practice. Play A LOT using only the weapon you are trying to master. Better yet, try playing with only the single barrel shotty for a week. Don't worry about how much you get killed, just work on your skills.

Everyone struggles with trying to aim better. I've been playing for a year and a half and I'm still struggling with it. :P

Sirc
08-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Terminathare@Aug 1 2003, 07:58 PM
Keep playing you'll get better :thumbs:

Where is Sal's SS beginner worksheet? :unsure:
Good question. They should be pinned here. :thumbs:

OUTLAWS Spike
08-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Tman@Aug 1 2003, 05:40 PM
Does anyone use something other than the mouse? Maybe it's the frequent-but-not-so-bad-at-least-usually-lag, maybe it's the fact that my mouse needed cleaning,

Get an Optical mouse, no fuss, no muss and certainly no dust!!! :jammin:

EXEcution
08-02-2003, 01:19 AM
Not to worry Tman, just go optical, and practice......practice...... :drink:

Sirc
08-02-2003, 01:44 AM
I was just playing with Tman on the Outlaws server. He is from Texas, has DSL, and his pings are around 340. :blink:

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

OUTLAWS Spike
08-02-2003, 02:48 AM
I wonder what his upload speeds are? :hmmm:

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
08-02-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Sirc@Aug 1 2003, 09:44 PM
I was just playing with Tman on the Outlaws server. He is from Texas, has DSL, and his pings are around 340. :blink:

netcode

Sirc
08-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS WHOCARES+Aug 1 2003, 10:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS WHOCARES @ Aug 1 2003, 10:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sirc@Aug 1 2003, 09:44 PM
I was just playing with Tman on the Outlaws server.&nbsp; He is from Texas, has DSL, and his pings are around 340.&nbsp; :blink:

netcode [/b][/quote]
NO&#33; :rolleyes:

Come on. His pings should be around 150 or less for being that close to the server.

Pure_Evil
08-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Sirc+Aug 1 2003, 10:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sirc @ Aug 1 2003, 10:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -OUTLAWS WHOCARES@Aug 1 2003, 10:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Sirc@Aug 1 2003, 09:44 PM
I was just playing with Tman on the Outlaws server.* He is from Texas, has DSL, and his pings are around 340.*&nbsp; :blink:

netcode
NO&#33; :rolleyes:

Come on. His pings should be around 150 or less for being that close to the server. [/b][/quote]
I&#39;ve had that problem before on DOA&#39;s server.... And I&#39;m real close to that one..

One question I have is there a way to speed your fire button?? I seem to notice a little hesitation on my microsoft intelli optical mouse in tough fights in all games. Just seems like the fire response is a tad slower than my fat fingers :blink:

No Joke, but I&#39;m sure they&#39;ll follow...

Sirc
08-02-2003, 03:03 AM
I don&#39;t know anything about the mouse you are using. I use a Logitech MX700. My main problem is that I just don&#39;t have the reflexes that some of these young whippersnappers do. When suddenly coming face to face with someone on a map it seems like I always get the shot off a tad bit too late. :bandhead:

Pure_Evil
08-02-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Sirc@Aug 1 2003, 11:03 PM
I don&#39;t know anything about the mouse you are using. I use a Logitech MX700. My main problem is that I just don&#39;t have the reflexes that some of these young whippersnappers do. When suddenly coming face to face with someone on a map it seems like I always get the shot off a tad bit too late. :bandhead:
I call it Zellitis :blink:

I don&#39;t have the &#036;&#036; for the logitech...yet

Slice
08-02-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Sirc@Aug 1 2003, 09:44 PM

It&#39;s all about the pipe and network, not how close you are. True being closer helps (especially if you are on the other side of the world) but a non congested fat pipe (backbone) makes a hell of a difference. If you are on a network with huge amounts of hops to the server then it doesn&#39;t matter if you live next door to it. For instance, I can ping a huge gaming server in Miami, FL and get 95ms round trip and I am only 100 miles from it, I can ping a massive backbone server in Virginia and get 50ms.

He may have dial up or just a really poor internet provider. Sams pings on screen are totally false anyways. If you want an accurate actual ping, do a ping or tracert in DOS prompt, to the ip of the server you wish to play on. I laugh at all the people who use that little green netgraph in Sam, it means absolute sh&#33;t. lol

OUTLAWS Ada
08-02-2003, 08:34 AM
We played Sam on dial-up for what seemed like years&#33; We had got used to firing 3 inches ahead of someone running in the hope that they wouldn&#39;t change direction but would run inot the shot. The delay meant that they usually got hit. But now we have had to relearn when we got Broad band to hit the guy in the head/body immediately&#33;

Tman
08-02-2003, 06:00 PM
I did a tracert on outlaws and it took 16 hops (including the one to my router). I don&#39;t think my ping is usually that high though.

Optical mouse? My dad has a MS Optical Intellimouse Trackball (mix those words around a bit and eventually you&#39;ll get what I meant to say), but he&#39;s using it and I don&#39;t know if he&#39;ll let me trade ;)

And I might be getting better at my dbsg, but I always seem to get killed first :rolleyes:
Right now I&#39;m using two weapons only: dbsg and the knife. I have easy-to-access keys assigned to both of them, after reading the MERC tactics :)

BrianBoru
08-10-2003, 07:36 PM
Just saw your post Tman. I can relate from my experience.
One of my buddies in our clan was asking me to practice my aim by having me stay still and try to shoot him with different weapons as he ran around in RedStation. I laughably was way off target, I mean way off. I was using a microsoft Intellimouse PS/2 with scroll wheel. I had cable (DSL now - is twice as fast), good computer specs and the rest. He suggested an optical mouse like others that have posted replies.
After a little research I found out that Logitech has twice the tracking capabilities of the Microsoft mouse. Optical Tracking (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/features/opticaltopics&CRID=826&parentCRID=274&contentID=6174&countryid=2&languageid=1)Particularly the MX series.
I tried the MX 400 and within one day I noticed a substantial improvement.
That mouse was too small for my hand to play hours at a time without going into a &#39;deathcramp.&#39; So I bought the MX700 wireless mouse that is larger. I was concerned the wireless would cause a delay in transmission and play but no such worries. It works great&#33;
I have an ADSL line on a wireless 4 port router with 3 other pcs connected. Using Windows 2000 Pro and an XP2100 CPU with 512Mb PC 2100 DDR.

2 other quick tips, I found that running an Nvidia card in an NT system(Win2k, XP) the Direct 3D works better than OpenGL.
Also setting Predictions in SSE Menu go to OPTIONS - ADVANCED OPTIONS -
ADVANCED PREDICTIONS. Personally I set mine for local and remote players at 100m. Seems to work well and seldom ever get lag.
Of course the issue of practice ... practice is equally important and knowing what the capabilities of the weapons. Some require less accuracy than others depending on the situation.
Hope this helps :thumbs: