PDA

View Full Version : Free MMORPG

SALvation
08-05-2003, 05:28 PM
I know some of you have asked about a free MMORPG. There is one coming out soon called Guild Wars. It's being developed by the same people who created battle.net for Blizzard. Could be interesting:

http://www.guildwars.com/

Mr Clean
08-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@Aug 5 2003, 11:28 AM
I know some of you have asked about a free MMORPG. There is one coming out soon called Guild Wars. It's being developed by the same people who created battle.net for Blizzard. Could be interesting:

http://www.guildwars.com/
Can someone who has played a MMORPG give me their opinion on this please?.... :cool:

Burn the Witch
08-05-2003, 06:18 PM
This isnt aimed at you SAL, or anyone here.

IMO it boils down to this: MMORPGs are worth the price, if you dont wanna pay for them, because you dont have the funds or think the idea of a monthly fee is a pain, then thats your problem, and shut up and let those who do play them enjoy them. Most likely this guild wars will need 100 expansion packs to keep it going.

With MMORPG you get patches and new things, quests area's etc. they maintain servers with up to 3,000 players on at one time. It is NOT cheap to run these things.

I obviously cannot judge the game before it comes out, but I played 2 main MMORPG's, Asherons Call, (for 3 and a half years) and Dark Age of Camelot (on and off for almost 2 years now or maybe less..) both provide great servers, and maybe Mythic would be a better company if they stopped systematically screwing the players over on a regular basis.

Ultimately I think you pay what you get for. Will there ever be a free MMORPG? Yeah, but will there ever be a GOOD free MMORPG? I have my doubts but like I said, I wont pass judgement on a game I havent played yet.

Paying around $8 is hardly extortion now, come on.....and NOTHING in life is free

SALvation
08-05-2003, 06:24 PM
I agree that a monthly fee for a MMORPG is not a big deal. Compare it to spending $20 at the movies for 2 hours entertainment and you can see that a monthly fee can be well worth it. I just know that some of the younger gamers out there sometimes can't afford it so this looks like a decent game without the monthly fee.

Personally, I own Everquest, DAOC, and Planetside and the monthly fee isn't what stops me from playing, it's the lack of a final goal or "end". I know...weird.

Nick
08-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@Aug 5 2003, 06:24 PM
I agree that a monthly fee for a MMORPG is not a big deal. Compare it to spending $20 at the movies for 2 hours entertainment and you can see that a monthly fee can be well worth it. I just know that some of the younger gamers out there sometimes can't afford it so this looks like a decent game without the monthly fee.

Personally, I own Everquest, DAOC, and Planetside and the monthly fee isn't what stops me from playing, it's the lack of a final goal or "end". I know...weird.
:unsure: sometimes its not the price but the bother of
sending the payment....

Slash
08-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Nick+Aug 5 2003, 01:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nick @ Aug 5 2003, 01:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--SALvation@Aug 5 2003, 06:24 PM
I agree that a monthly fee for a MMORPG is not a big deal. Compare it to spending &#036;20 at the movies for 2 hours entertainment and you can see that a monthly fee can be well worth it. I just know that some of the younger gamers out there sometimes can&#39;t afford it so this looks like a decent game without the monthly fee.

Personally, I own Everquest, DAOC, and Planetside and the monthly fee isn&#39;t what stops me from playing, it&#39;s the lack of a final goal or "end". I know...weird.
:unsure: sometimes its not the price but the bother of
sending the payment.... [/b][/quote]
Maybe one day you crazy Canadians will have something we Americans have learned to cherish:

Credit Cards? Hello Mcfly :thumbs:

Slash
08-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Oh and DAOC rocks and I will have absolutely no problems paying when my free month runs out on Saturday.

Burn the Witch
08-05-2003, 06:46 PM
not to add the straw that breaks the Camels back, but this is the quote on the Guild Wars site:

Will there be a monthly fee for Guild Wars?

Although we are determining the final business model, there will be no monthly charge to play Guild Wars in North America; in Asia and most areas of the world, a variety of options will be offered using NCsoft’s existing infrastructure.

what do they mean by "a variety of options will be offered "? I smell a rat, just because you dont have to pay every month doesnt mean they wont stick an annual fee on.

Slash
08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Burn the Witch@Aug 5 2003, 01:18 PM

IMO it boils down to this: MMORPGs are worth the price, if you dont wanna pay for them, because you dont have the funds or think the idea of a monthly fee is a pain, then thats your problem, and shut up and let those who do play them enjoy them. Most likely this guild wars will need 100 expansion packs to keep it going.

With MMORPG you get patches and new things, quests area&#39;s etc. they maintain servers with up to 3,000 players on at one time. It is NOT cheap to run these things.

I obviously cannot judge the game before it comes out, but I played 2 main MMORPG&#39;s, Asherons Call, (for 3 and a half years) and Dark Age of Camelot (on and off for almost 2 years now or maybe less..) both provide great servers, and maybe Mythic would be a better company if they stopped systematically screwing the players over on a regular basis.

Ultimately I think you pay what you get for. Will there ever be a free MMORPG? Yeah, but will there ever be a GOOD free MMORPG? I have my doubts but like I said, I wont pass judgement on a game I havent played yet.

Paying around &#036;8 is hardly extortion now, come on.....and NOTHING in life is free
How does Mythic screw their players over systematically?

Death Engineer
08-05-2003, 07:52 PM
He&#39;s probably referring to the nefarious player nerfs (downgrade in effectiveness) in the name of balancing the game. Scouts are an example of a class that have had it pretty rough.

Burn the Witch
08-05-2003, 08:23 PM
no, its not the nerfs, balancing is cool, but Mythic dont give 2 ****s about their 200,000+ European players. We can go months without patches then maybe get 5 patches in a row, and they dont look after the Euro server maintenance too much either. Big pain in the a** really :(

Morpheus
08-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Burn the Witch@Aug 5 2003, 02:18 PM

With MMORPG you get patches and new things, quests area&#39;s etc. they maintain servers with up to 3,000 players on at one time. It is NOT cheap to run these things.

I obviously cannot judge the game before it comes out, but I played 2 main MMORPG&#39;s, Asherons Call, (for 3 and a half years) and Dark Age of Camelot (on and off for almost 2 years now or maybe less..) both provide great servers, and maybe Mythic would be a better company if they stopped systematically screwing the players over on a regular basis.

Paying around &#036;8 is hardly extortion now, come on.....and NOTHING in life is free
One pin in your butt(LOL). Both my parents lost their jobs, and I don&#39;t have an allowance. Not many places will give a 13 year old a job so he can get hi-speed internet and afford those things. :oooo:

Morpheus
08-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Another thing i found in the FAQ, which will make this really interesting.

"NEW: Will I be able to play Guild Wars on a dial-up modem?

Yes you will. We are well aware that many users do not have broadband access, and we want the largest possible number of gamers to be able to join our game without being held back by technical issues like their Internet connection. We have designed Guild Wars to function excellently on a dial-up connection and our alpha testers confirm they have no problems with their connection, even testing from other continents."