PDA

View Full Version : dedicated server ?

Grimmy
08-07-2003, 09:15 PM
If I were to run one at work, would I have to buy another copy of the game?

The puter guy at work said he'd let me run a gaming server on a machine at work. They just got a T1 line installed and he said it was ok. Just wondering if I need another copy or not.

JIMINATOR
08-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Aug 7 2003, 05:15 PM

The puter guy at work said he'd let me run a gaming server on a machine at work. They just got a T1 line installed and he said it was ok. Just wondering if I need another copy or not.
i imagine so if you are going to do the punkbuster thing, although fragetti will know better

Fragetti
08-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Aug 7 2003, 04:15 PM

Am not sure bud :WTF: I think if you run a deditcated server you should be alright. but PB may screw you. I dont have any problems joining my servers? although I do conect through a LAN. :unsure:

Grimmy
08-08-2003, 01:16 AM
yea, I think I might need another copy. The server won't even be in my house, it will be 3 miles away at work. Might have to get another copy or something. :cool:

Drunken Warrior
08-08-2003, 08:41 AM
I thought I read that if you don't use bots you're OK, but if you use them you have to have a disk in the machine. :hmmm:

Sirc
08-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Lemme guess...yet another UFT server with hook enabled? :rolleyes:

You guys really need to try some new things. :thumbs:

Hobbes
08-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Sirc@Aug 7 2003, 11:05 PM
Lemme guess...yet another UFT server with hook enabled?  :rolleyes:

You guys really need to try some new things.  :thumbs:
**coughcoughrocketarenacoughcough** Ahem... whew, damn that smoker's cough, time to quit again. :rolleyes:

Fragetti
08-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Theres alot of mods out there some good some bad and some just dont work. I ran several diff ones and there was just no interest in them. If you would like to give it a try be my guest its not as easy as you think :wave: Besides that look at all the bullchit we whent thruoght just to get everyone playing Freeze. If you like a mod let me know and ill try to set it up for ya. Frag

FUS1ON
08-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Fragetti@Aug 8 2003, 09:41 AM
Theres alot of mods out there some good some bad and some just dont work. I ran several diff ones and there was just no interest in them. If you would like to give it a try be my guest its not as easy as you think :wave: Besides that look at all the bullchit we whent thruoght just to get everyone playing Freeze. If you like a mod let me know and ill try to set it up for ya. Frag
I hear ya big daddy and agree 100% :jammin:

I deleted about 2 gigs worth of mods off my computer this morning. Anyone remember Western Quake? :P

Death Engineer
08-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Sirc@Aug 8 2003, 01:05 PM
Lemme guess...yet another UFT server with hook enabled?  :rolleyes:

You guys really need to try some new things.  :thumbs:
Sounds like someone can't handle the speed and skill requirements of the grapple. :P Bring it on, old guy. :w00t:

Seriously though...the reason I like playing UFT (besides the insane speed, which I love) is the competitive atmosphere with a team concept. It makes things much more organized and coherent than just slinging rockets everywhere like in SS. :wacko:

If you don't like UFT, it's no big deal. But don't keep knocking it. Some of us really enjoy it.

Grimmy
08-08-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Death Engineer+Aug 8 2003, 10:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Death Engineer @ Aug 8 2003, 10:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sirc@Aug 8 2003, 01:05 PM
Lemme guess...yet another UFT server with hook enabled?*&nbsp; :rolleyes:

You guys really need to try some new things.*&nbsp; :thumbs:
Sounds like someone can&#39;t handle the speed and skill requirements of the grapple. :P Bring it on, old guy. :w00t:

Seriously though...the reason I like playing UFT (besides the insane speed, which I love) is the competitive atmosphere with a team concept. It makes things much more organized and coherent than just slinging rockets everywhere like in SS. :wacko:

If you don&#39;t like UFT, it&#39;s no big deal. But don&#39;t keep knocking it. Some of us really enjoy it. [/b][/quote]
W3RD DE&#33; :jammin: Like someone else said once, just changed a little, go back to SS or whatever it is, and leave UFT players alone. :P

Sirc
08-08-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Death Engineer+Aug 8 2003, 11:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Death Engineer @ Aug 8 2003, 11:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sirc@Aug 8 2003, 01:05 PM
Lemme guess...yet another UFT server with hook enabled?*&nbsp; :rolleyes:

You guys really need to try some new things.*&nbsp; :thumbs:
Sounds like someone can&#39;t handle the speed and skill requirements of the grapple. :P Bring it on, old guy. :w00t:

If you don&#39;t like UFT, it&#39;s no big deal. But don&#39;t keep knocking it. Some of us really enjoy it. [/b][/quote]
I think you missed my point. I like UFT occasionally - in fact several of the Reapers were on Frag&#39;s server playing it a couple of nights ago. :thumbs:

I was thinking about Railgun CTF or something like that. There you have teamplay and lightning fast action. Some of the Reapers have played this game too and it was a blast&#33; :wootrock:

Drunken Warrior
08-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Sirc+Aug 8 2003, 11:21 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sirc @ Aug 8 2003, 11:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Death Engineer@Aug 8 2003, 11:15 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Sirc@Aug 8 2003, 01:05 PM
Lemme guess...yet another UFT server with hook enabled?** :rolleyes:

You guys really need to try some new things.** :thumbs:

If you don&#39;t like UFT, it&#39;s no big deal. But don&#39;t keep knocking it. Some of us really enjoy it.
I think you missed my point. I like UFT occasionally - in fact several of the Reapers were on Frag&#39;s server playing it a couple of nights ago. :thumbs:

I was thinking about Railgun CTF or something like that. There you have teamplay and lightning fast action. Some of the Reapers have played this game too and it was a blast&#33; :wootrock: [/b][/quote]
Jup :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :wootrock: :wootrock: :wootrock: :wootrock:

Railgun speed needs to be set at about 700 :thumbs:

melonhead
08-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Um.. to each his own. All games and mods have their merit. One thing I would point out is I have never heard the word "grapple" and "skill" used in conjunction... ;) Grapple is interesting, and provides a different facet to the game, but it isn&#39;t really a skill tool. Everyone should learn how to traverse a map with strafe jumps and other movement skills. After that, using the grapple will seem secondary and useful for getting out of a void, lava, etc.. trust me, you&#39;ll feel more rewarded if you can chase an enemy down with your skills rather than clicking on a point all the way across the map.
I must say, all you grapple users have helped me develope my "snap shooting" skills with shotgun and especially rail. The hook give a good line of sight while you&#39;re in motion. Lotta times I just look where the destination will be and pick you off when you get there :w00t: Of course, sometimes you make a left turn at Alburquerque and I gotta adjust...

FUS1ON
08-08-2003, 06:26 PM
I agree Melon, But you aren&#39;t supposed to tell our little secret. :D

Of course, sometimes you make a left turn at Alburquerque and I gotta adjust...

:lol:

melonhead
08-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Ooopps&#33; :rofl:

Death Engineer
08-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by melonhead@Aug 8 2003, 09:53 PM
Um.. to each his own. All games and mods have their merit. One thing I would point out is I have never heard the word "grapple" and "skill" used in conjunction... ;) Grapple is interesting, and provides a different facet to the game, but it isn&#39;t really a skill tool. Everyone should learn how to traverse a map with strafe jumps and other movement skills. After that, using the grapple will seem secondary and useful for getting out of a void, lava, etc.. trust me, you&#39;ll feel more rewarded if you can chase an enemy down with your skills rather than clicking on a point all the way across the map.
I must say, all you grapple users have helped me develope my "snap shooting" skills with shotgun and especially rail. The hook give a good line of sight while you&#39;re in motion. Lotta times I just look where the destination will be and pick you off when you get there :w00t: Of course, sometimes you make a left turn at Alburquerque and I gotta adjust...
Umm....I don&#39;t want to sound rude, but if you have seen some of the moves some of the better players on the junkphreak server have, then you would believe that grappling = living. You have to understand I&#39;m talking about an instagib world here though. Grappling becomes less important with all the weapons, but I would still give it a higher value than you.

I do agree that it will make you an all around better player if you can get through the maps without the hook. However, show me two good players: 1 who can hook and one that is inclined not to, and I&#39;ll show you one dead player very quickly (on a hook server).

My opinions are also probably skewed because the grapple was pretty much the thing that sold me on Q3. Without it, it&#39;s just another FPS....a darn good one, but for the most part, just like all the others. With the hook, it rox the hizzouse. :P

Like you said tho, to each his own.

Sirc....I agree...I wish more people would run CTF instagib servers. That would be fun.

DE

Fragetti
08-08-2003, 10:19 PM
It’s good to finally see some serious discussion on Q3 games mods and settings. Up until this point I was on my own trying different stuff to see what reactions I got. Freeze tag brought in the most people and we all had the most fun. I have always asked for suggestions. I am willing to try anything but please remember its not as easy as installing the mod and running a server. I am running 6 q3 servers for GM and they can be what ever WE want them to be Freeze CTF DM. I think we need to think about this a little. I am still not sure it my server will handle 6 games running. Its not likely all six servers would be full at the same time but there hasn’t been much action lately to really test it.
It may get choppy if say 8 of us are playing on server 2 and people are joining or leaving server’s 1 & 5. I should be able to run 4 servers with no trouble at all @ 5 Mega bit cable
Connection. I would rather have 2 servers with rock solid pings then 6 chitty ones and am sure you would agree.

Grimmy
08-08-2003, 11:49 PM
Also, I may be out on a limb here, but I think there is such a thing as votable configs. I thought I read somewhere that this could be done. Like have one config for UFT TDM no hook, no bots, and another just plain CTF.

I will have to do some more checking, but that could be a way to sorta have 6 servers, just running on 2. Just vote and change the game to different settings (/callvote config *****)

Maybe Borland or Haste will know more on this.

Seriously Stoned
08-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Keep up the good work Fragetti. I like UTF but I would like to see a reliable DM game and like sirc said a CTF.
Ok there&#39;s my 2 cents

Fragetti
08-09-2003, 01:52 AM
Grimmy votable configs :w00t:
yes it is possible but allot off these guys cant even get past the PB and pure server bull just to play.
plus the nukle heads join the server and change things all around and others fine a server with 6 bots and only a guntlet :blink: Soon all servers maps and hook votable only.

Grimmy
08-09-2003, 01:56 AM
Just don&#39;t tell anyone about the config, or better yet, it there is a way to just have a ref do it. Then you just have to make a few people refs and then they can change it. :cool:

melonhead
08-09-2003, 02:59 AM
I&#39;m with Frag, it&#39;s good to see the interest in mods/configs. The votable option can be tailored to what you want to let the general public to be able to do, but like it was mentioned, not everyone is into the console commands and stuff. IMO, 3 servers would be fine, 4 would be better. My suggestions:

hook and rail - relatively small fan base, but very devoted players. I like it too.

normal UFT (like LIC) - mainly because that&#39;s what 80% of UFT is. If you want to attract or interact with other clans, etc..this is what they&#39;re playing. Before any spirited responses get written ;) I gotta say, i"m basing this on personal experience, and I&#39;ve been playing awhile :cool:

"Fragetti House Special" I for one would like server 1 to stick around. This is the server I wandered into one night and found a few friends. :thumbs:

Don&#39;t have an idea for a fourth, if there is one. Anyway, there&#39;s my &#036;.02 :wave:

To DE:
Believe me, I don&#39;t mean to slam on the hook, and I certainly don&#39;t complain about anyone using it. Let me tell you where I&#39;m coming from. Quake 3&#39;s been around for about 5 years, I&#39;ve been playing over 3. The grapple is purely freeze tag, and it&#39;s not that old, comparatively. So when you talk Quake, you&#39;re not talking about the hook. I have witnessed what you mean: a good grappler can zip around with precision, almost impossible to hit. But when you rely on the hook, you&#39;re only getting proficient with the hook, not Quake. ;)
Freeze tag is a small mod, and makes up very little of the overall Quake community. We who have been playing lo these many years have taken pride in our skills of movement and aim. Now I&#39;ve played the JP servers, and there are many bad dudes on there. But honestly, I don&#39;t do too bad there myself, despite not using grapple. In any case, the good players are using more skills than the hook, believe me.
Let me ask you this; which takes more skill, (on DM15) strafejumping over the lava, landing on the jumpad and simultaneously rocket jumping up to the ledge to get the Red Armor; or pointing your crosshairs on it, and pressing the &#39;hook key? :oooo:
Having said all that, it is after all a game. It&#39;s what you want it to be. If hook and rail is your bag, by all means play it. Show up and support your servers and community. That&#39;s what this game is about. I know a guy who frequents our FFa server who is an extremely aggresive player, and who kicks alot of ass. The weird thing is he only uses the rocket launcher. Nothing else. Occasionaly he uses a machine gun because he ran out of rox. :blink: The point is, he&#39;s a bad dude, but he&#39;s limiting himself by only getting profficient with one weapon. Granted he can make you dance with it... :rolleyes: I would tremble if he learned how to play the WHOLE game. But for the time being, I&#39;ll stay at a distance and pick him off with the rail. My advice is not to limit yourself to the hook. A good overall Quaker can go on any server, and be fairly comfortable. A good grappler can go on a normal non-hook server and get owned. :P

Grimmy
08-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Holy s h i t Melon :blink: Someone get the dude a beer&#33;&#33; :drink:

**Note to self, Melon&#39;s longest post 8/8/03, and a very good one I might add**

I see what you are saying Melon. Very good points also. If I can figure some things out, you might see something like this, during the GM Tourney week. I will explain later.

synth
08-09-2003, 10:26 AM
I have nothing to add, but agree with Mel 100% :thumbs:

MR. SLiK
08-09-2003, 05:58 PM
we got enough people now to play a great game of Q3F, but no one wants to. Such a great mod.

OUTLAWS Spike
08-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by MR. SLiK@Aug 9 2003, 11:58 AM
we got enough people now to play a great game of Q3F, but no one wants to. Such a great mod.
:rolleyes:
I don&#39;t recall ever seeing you in freeze tag&#33;&#33; :cool:

MR. SLiK
08-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Spike+Aug 9 2003, 10:01 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS Spike @ Aug 9 2003, 10:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MR. SLiK@Aug 9 2003, 11:58 AM
:rolleyes:
I don&#39;t recall ever seeing you in freeze tag&#33;&#33; :cool: [/b][/quote]
you dont? i played for a while. then i hated my 150 ping (very playable but it got annoying) so i stopped.

melonhead
08-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Never tried Fortress, but it seems kinda popular. I might like to try it. I installed Team Arena a little while back, but it reverted my files back to the 1.30 point release&#33; :wacko: Had to reinstall 1.32 and all the punkbuster stuff again, and I didn&#39;t bother to try it out, just deleted it.

MR. SLiK
08-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by melonhead@Aug 9 2003, 10:07 AM
Never tried Fortress, but it seems kinda popular. I might like to try it. I installed Team Arena a little while back, but it reverted my files back to the 1.30 point release&#33; :wacko: Had to reinstall 1.32 and all the punkbuster stuff again, and I didn&#39;t bother to try it out, just deleted it.
its class based team play, usually ctf. its very fun, i suggest reinstalling.