PDA

View Full Version : LOOK AT THIS POP UP AD!

V98ci
08-14-2003, 08:00 AM
I'm posting this in off topic because I think more people will see it. I was downloading a song and the "Shutdown" message appeared. Something struck me as strange about it so I right clicked and went to properties, IT'S AN AD! :bandhead:

It had a timer that was counting down from 60 so I let it go. Nothing happened, no shutdown. I had to do ctrl/alt/delete to shut the page off. My song was still downloading without problem.

Be aware this is not a system message!

solid snake295
08-14-2003, 08:14 AM
:blink: shiznit.......

solid snake295
08-14-2003, 08:23 AM
:hmmm:

solid snake295
08-14-2003, 08:31 AM
i took a big risk of going to that url that was on your properties window, turns out the bastards are trying to sell virus protection. :dry: its nothing more than an ad thats trying to scare you into buying theyre stuff. i wouldnt worry about it

mod
08-14-2003, 01:38 PM
:thumbs:

Crism
08-14-2003, 01:43 PM
i'll have to send that site to some people.... :devil:

Dissectional
08-14-2003, 02:05 PM
That is like a kick in the nutz. MSBlaster is flying around the web causing havoc, and some @sshole third rate software company is using a scare tactic WITH the friggin' warning that you actually get when you have the virus! Companies like that should be put out of business. :loser:

EXEcution
08-14-2003, 02:08 PM
DEATH TO ALL POPUPS!!!!!!!! :devil:

PJ'l_Master
08-14-2003, 02:09 PM
That is like a kick in the nutz. MSBlaster is flying around the web causing havoc, and some @sshole third rate software company is using a scare tactic WITH the friggin' warning that you actually get when you have the virus! Companies like that should be put out of business.
Well Said! :wootrock:

Yellow[GummiBear]
08-14-2003, 02:14 PM
I couldn't agree with you more Diss... exploiting the less knowledgable is just wrong

Sepra
08-14-2003, 02:22 PM
:wacko:

Red[GummiBear]
08-14-2003, 04:27 PM
i actually had the same thing happen to me 2 days ago when the whole scare was going on...seems one of the "modeling" pages i was looking at had a popup and it came up and looked like a DOS screen with all these funky commands and stuff...but it happens all the time so i just close them all

Gun Element
08-14-2003, 04:44 PM
I got that many many times. I always closed it and never really cared of what it said.

Works so far.:D

OUTLAWS Tip
08-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Wow, they are already attempting to exploit people with a copy-cat ad.

Just get a pop-up stopper. They work wonders and get about 99% of them. My mouse was so happy it didn't have to click to close all those popups that it's batteries last an extra day. :P

The bottom right corner show how many pop-ups I have been saved from in less than 2 months.

Thundarr
08-14-2003, 06:53 PM
What a sneaky thing to do! shuriken Good thing all of us here at GM are smart enough to know when something looks fishy!!! POP-UPs are so danged annoying!! :mad: :down:

::: DARK PSI :::
08-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Here's the fix guys... go download and install...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...s/msblaster.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/virus/alerts/msblaster.asp)

PimpDaddy
08-14-2003, 08:22 PM
This is too wierd everyone. My son had this on his computer 2 or 3 days ago too, but his computer actually did shut down and re-start. Every 2 - 5 minutes, up comes the message and it would count down to zero, and the computer would restart. :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: At the time, he was not running his pop-up ad blocker, but we had no idea wtf this was.....we thought it was a virus. Has anyone else had this thing actually re-start your computer ??

V98ci
08-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by PimpDaddy@Aug 14 2003, 03:22 PM
This is too wierd everyone. My son had this on his computer 2 or 3 days ago too, but his computer actually did shut down and re-start. Every 2 - 5 minutes, up comes the message and it would count down to zero, and the computer would restart. :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: At the time, he was not running his pop-up ad blocker, but we had no idea wtf this was.....we thought it was a virus. Has anyone else had this thing actually re-start your computer ??
Yeah, sounds like you have the real thing! Go to the link that DL posted above and get the fix.

FlameRush
08-15-2003, 04:09 AM
I wish bush could make popups more illegal, so that where they come from, the host of it gets ****ing charged, I hate popups, I just got popup stopper, saves me from alot too...
I always run it, just press CTRL and click the link you want to goto, and it pops up just for you(Hold CTRL, and click the linkl, then release it), which makes you able to open a popup when you feel like it...

Death Engineer
08-15-2003, 06:18 AM
I got that crap today too. Man....not only are people writing destructive software, there are actually people out there trying to gain financially by scaring people with it. Very sad.

SoulReaver
08-15-2003, 04:04 PM
never happenned to me yet hope it wont

good point dissectional