PDA

View Full Version : Firewall questions.

OUTLAWS The Machine
10-21-2002, 11:12 AM
I have a router already but I want to know if I should get some firewall software. If so what is good? I heard that BlackIce was a good one.

G-$TrikE
10-21-2002, 11:21 AM
NO! BLACKICE IS SHIT!

i recomdend ZoneAlarm PRO it's the best FW ever man!

Goober
10-21-2002, 02:40 PM
Hey Machine...Some of the routers already have a firewall built in....I know my linksys does, and it was a pain when I went to host a server. I had to open up a port to allow players to see me in SS, I still haven't figured out which ones to open in UT2003 yet .You might want to check out the docs. on your router
Right now I am thinking of going Hammers route and using 2 network cards in my xp computer and linking my other computer to it and not using my router....been causing problems with my IP it has.#@$$...and other harsh language.
Goober

OUTLAWS The Machine
10-21-2002, 02:53 PM
Mine does have built in protection. I think it's pretty good too. I was just wondering if I need both router and software protection.

Sauron
10-21-2002, 03:06 PM
if u open ports or even activate the DMZ option u should install a software firewall too

Slash
10-21-2002, 03:12 PM
Tiny Personal Firewall is great, and it is free!

http://download.com.com/3000-2092-6313778.html?tag=lst-0-1

OUTLAWS The Machine
10-21-2002, 09:07 PM
Cool man! Free=good! I'll try that out. Thanks.

Yellow[GummiBear]
10-22-2002, 02:49 AM
well I've been looking for a firewall too and thanks to your guys suggestions I picked up tiny personal firewall myself... the only problem is that when I installed it I was prevented from doing just about everything... trillian couldn't connect and I couldn't even make it on a webpage so I had to uninstall... I tried reading the help crap to no avail... can anyone offer a firewall n00b some help?? thanks in advance!

OUTLAWS The Machine
10-22-2002, 02:51 AM
Not tried it yet. Sounds like they are a pain in the ass to set up if you don't know what you are doing. (like us) LOL

Dan2
10-22-2002, 05:11 AM
Zone Alarm is the best IMHO and the basic version is free. It's easy to configure.

Grimmy
10-22-2002, 05:38 AM
I heard Norton's firewall was pretty good. Not free but you can get some other utilities with it if you buy as a package. I have ZoneAlarm Pro here, I like it. Easy to figure out.

A friend of mine had BlackIce and he couldn't figure it out and ended up uninstalling it.

Yellow[GummiBear]
10-22-2002, 12:33 PM
yeah if I can't figure out this tiny personal firewall I may have to resort to norton firewall or zone alarm ... I currently have a copy of norton but I'm not sure how old it is and I'm sure zone alarm wouldn't be that hard to acquire... does anybody know off hand a website with some firewalling basics that they may have used??? I'm gonna look on google but if something's worked well for you hook the rest of us up with the knowledge (or source thereof)

Grimmy
10-22-2002, 04:17 PM
not right off hand, no, but I could look if you don't find it.

Yellow[GummiBear]
10-22-2002, 04:45 PM
whelp I downloaded and printed out the User Guide for Tiny Personal Firewall from their website...98 pages... looks like I have a little reading ahead of me

Grimmy
10-22-2002, 06:39 PM
have fun lol

OUTLAWS DirtGod
10-23-2002, 02:47 AM
Yeah i reccomend getting a software FW it will keep apps from jumping off your computer also and not just from getting on

Grimmy
10-23-2002, 04:55 AM
yea, I don't know anything about a hardware firewall. How do those work?

Drunken Warrior
10-23-2002, 12:08 PM
[quote:664e8e700a="Yellow[GummiBear]"]yeah if I can't figure out this tiny personal firewall I may have to resort to norton firewall or zone alarm ... I currently have a copy of norton but I'm not sure how old it is and I'm sure zone alarm wouldn't be that hard to acquire... does anybody know off hand a website with some firewalling basics that they may have used??? I'm gonna look on google but if something's worked well for you hook the rest of us up with the knowledge (or source thereof)[/quote:664e8e700a]

like checking out www.grc.com myself the guy seems to know a lot. If you want the free version of zonealarm you'll find it at www.zonelabs.com.
I have used it and it is a good firewall, just make sure you disable the pop-up warning or your online gaming will be interupted by being pinged.

Drunken Warrior
10-23-2002, 12:09 PM
[quote:a581a9e1a3="Yellow[GummiBear]"]yeah if I can't figure out this tiny personal firewall I may have to resort to norton firewall or zone alarm ... I currently have a copy of norton but I'm not sure how old it is and I'm sure zone alarm wouldn't be that hard to acquire... does anybody know off hand a website with some firewalling basics that they may have used??? I'm gonna look on google but if something's worked well for you hook the rest of us up with the knowledge (or source thereof)[/quote:a581a9e1a3]

like checking out www.grc.com myself the guy seems to know a lot. If you want the free version of zonealarm you'll find it at www.zonelabs.com.
I have used it and it is a good firewall, just make sure you disable the pop-up warning or your online gaming will be interupted by being pinged.

Drunken Warrior
10-23-2002, 12:11 PM
Oops sorry about the double post :)

Yellow[GummiBear]
10-23-2002, 01:41 PM
thanks whymeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i'll give them a try

Goober
10-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Has any of you tried to host a server with it in serious sam? If so did you have any problems, or settings you had to adjust?

Thanks.................Goobs

Grimmy
10-23-2002, 04:40 PM
I had a server running with zone alarm pro running. People were able to join, so I am sure it was running ok.