PDA

View Full Version : New virus - please check for it!

OUTLAWS Ada
08-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Dear All,

I'm extremely sorry to send you this, but unfortunately, a virus has been passed on to me by a previous correspondent. My address book WAS infected. Since you are in my address book, there is a big chance you will find it in your computer too. The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee antivirus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book, whether or not you sent e-mail to your contacts.

Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it:

1. Go to start, Find or search option.

2. In the file folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe

3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all subfolders and any other drives you may have. (I found it in C:\WINDOWS\system32) But you better check in the whole C drive)

4. Click "find now"

5. The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN IT!

6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to highlight the file without opening it.

7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will then go to the Recycle Bin.

8. IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK, SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.

To do This:

a) Open a new e-mail message

b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"

c) Highlight every name and add to "BCC" (blind copy)

d) Copy this message and paste to e-mail

This was sent to me and I thought it wouldn't hurt for you all to check your systems for it! I found it on mine, but have got rid of it. :bandhead:

JIMINATOR
08-28-2003, 07:32 PM
the virus is the email, you have been suckered....

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/jdbgmgr.htm

"In this case the target file is JDBGMGR.EXE, a Java Debug Manager program used by the Microsoft Java runtime engine. This file is included as part of a standard Windows installation and is not a "virus." (The icon for this file is a graphic of a bear like the one shown to the left.)"

SALvation
08-28-2003, 07:35 PM
I was wondering if this was a scam before I read Jim's post. I trust Norton to scan my viruses. Something fishy about deleting just one file as almost all viruses get to the registry and that's where you have to do the cleaning.

V98ci
08-28-2003, 07:36 PM
Hoax!Link (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322993)

::: DARK PSI :::
08-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Ah ain't he cute..

I think I will buy Sal one for Xmas..

SALvation
08-28-2003, 07:41 PM
In case you're worried that you deleted it:

From Microsoft:

---------------------------------
The Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) is only used by Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 developers.

If you follow the e-mail message instructions and delete this file, you do not have to recover it unless you use Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 to develop Java programs on Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98, or Windows 95.

For Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98, and Windows 95:

The Microsoft VM is not available as a Web download. For information on the availability of the Microsoft VM in Windows XP, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/java/

Windows 2000:

The Windows 2000 File Protection feature will recover the file. For additional information about the Windows 2000 File Protection feature, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
222193 Description of the Windows File Protection Feature

Windows Millennium Edition (Me): The Windows Me System File Protection feature will recover the file. For additional information about the Windows Me File Protection feature, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
253571 Description of the System File Protection Feature

OUTLAWS Ada
08-28-2003, 07:42 PM
:bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead:

OUTLAWS The Machine
08-28-2003, 07:58 PM
I think people who make viruses and crap like this should be shot.

OUTLAWS Ada
08-28-2003, 08:00 PM
I feel bad as I must have sent this to 50 people who in turn will be sending it to their 50 people over the next hour - what a waste of life! :devil:

OUTLAWS The Machine
08-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Maybe you should send them another email telling them what is going on.

OUTLAWS Ada
08-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Done :wacko:

Panagiotis
08-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Aug 28 2003, 07:58 PM
I think people who make viruses and crap like this should be shot.
I agree with you 100% :thumbs:

OUTLAWS Ada
08-29-2003, 08:04 AM
Well - guess who is Miss Popular this morning - think I have now upset my entire address book! Thank you to the B**T***s who started this. I just lost 95% of my credibility points. :devil: :bandhead:

Snip3r
08-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Just by the name of the file you can tell it's a Java file. The name of the file makes it look like Java Debug Messenger

OUTLAWS BIOHAZARD
08-29-2003, 08:33 AM
Well I have it should I delete it or not this is so confusing some say get rid, some say keep it what should I do? :bandhead:

SALvation
08-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Do not delete it. It's a real Microsoft file.

C2H5OH Guy
08-29-2003, 11:35 PM
jup viruses suck...i got myself last week the w32 spybot c worm...(so iŽd to remove it hardly cuz antivirus couldnŽt remove it :bandhead: )
it happened cuz iŽd forgotten to update my antivirus :bandhead:

Thundarr
08-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Just updated mine too, hope it's not too late! :unsure: I am scanning right now... :online2long:

OUTLAWS BIOHAZARD
08-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by SALvation@Aug 29 2003, 07:15 AM
Do not delete it. It's a real Microsoft file.
Too late its gone perhaps I should some how get it back? Is it really nessessary? Oh well tell me if its important.

Thanks alot!
BIOHAZARD

Fantum309
08-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Ada@Aug 29 2003, 04:04 AM
Well - guess who is Miss Popular this morning - think I have now upset my entire address book! Thank you to the B**T***s who started this. I just lost 95% of my credibility points. :devil: :bandhead:
Naw, not 95%, more like 92%! :unsure:

j/k :rofl:

OUTLAWS Spike
08-30-2003, 02:22 PM
There is a site called truthorfiction.com that will tell you if it is real or a hoax Link (http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/jdbgmgr.htm)