PDA

View Full Version : TeamSpeak

Goober
08-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Has anyone tried Teamspeak voice chat in Serious sam and found that it causes major slowdown? I have used it in UT2003 with no problems, but LaSH and I tried it in serious sam and it was like we were being put in slow motion every now and then.....always at the worst possible time.
By the way....teamspeak was being hosted on an outside server, not on either of our machines.
We also noticed the same thing a while back using Roger Wilco.
Reckon it's just a Sam Thang.

Sirc
08-28-2003, 11:48 PM
The Reapers have been using TS for a few weeks now on a regular basis. I haven't noticed that it affects Sam at all. :hmmm:

Crism
08-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Sirc@Aug 28 2003, 07:48 PM
The Reapers have been using TS for a few weeks now on a regular basis. I haven't noticed that it affects Sam at all. :hmmm:
WHERE!!!!!!!!! i NEED the ip... : drools over ts :

Slice
08-29-2003, 01:40 AM
Teamspeak sucks. Ventrilo is way better.

Death-Dude
08-29-2003, 03:09 AM
As much as I dislike MSN....anything*, GameVoice works extremely well with Wolfenstein. I'm not that impressed with RWilco....is there anything like a concensus on the 'better' VON program to use? I'd be willing to try something else of there is something out there that works well.

*Bastiges called me saying I owed them $400 for my account that I got with my Compaq computer.....'cept I've never owned a Compaq, and had only signed up for the free account for MSN Messenger and GVoice. The dude, after hearing this, conferred with his 'supervisor', and siad they'd be happy with $200 - ! - I clarified by telling them I intended to pay nothing at all. He said OK, and that he'd contact me further if needed. Haven't heard from him.

Slice
08-29-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Death-Dude@Aug 28 2003, 11:09 PM
As much as I dislike MSN....anything*, GameVoice works extremely well with Wolfenstein. I'm not that impressed with RWilco....is there anything like a concensus on the 'better' VON program to use? I'd be willing to try something else of there is something out there that works well.

*Bastiges called me saying I owed them $400 for my account that I got with my Compaq computer.....'cept I've never owned a Compaq, and had only signed up for the free account for MSN Messenger and GVoice. The dude, after hearing this, conferred with his 'supervisor', and siad they'd be happy with $200 - ! - I clarified by telling them I intended to pay nothing at all. He said OK, and that he'd contact me further if needed. Haven't heard from him.
Did you miss my post? VENTRILO! Ventrilo.com (http://ventrilo.com)

Snip3r
08-29-2003, 04:31 AM
You guys catch on slow... Ventrilo is better than the telephone, seriously, Teamspeak sucks ass compared to Ventrilo. DOWNLOAD IT WOMEN!

mod
08-31-2003, 02:22 PM
i find roger wilco works fine in sam for me no lagg at all

mod :wave:

Die Hard
08-31-2003, 02:25 PM
what the hell are these things and where do
i get them and how do i use them (feeling dumb)

EXEcution
08-31-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Snip3r@Aug 29 2003, 12:31 AM
You guys catch on slow... Ventrilo is better than the telephone, seriously, Teamspeak sucks ass compared to Ventrilo. DOWNLOAD IT WOMEN!
:hmmm: I will just because im a woman!

Goober
08-31-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Die Hard@Aug 31 2003, 09:25 AM
what the hell are these things and where do
i get them and how do i use them (feeling dumb)
These are software that you can use to communicate with fellow players during a team match....all you need is a set of headphones with a mic and one of these three pieces of software.
They are real handy for Capture the Flag...if you have the flag, you can tell your team mates where you are and where you are going so they can cover your run.

Roger Wilco (http://rogerwilco.gamespy.com/)

Team Speak (http://www.teamspeak.org/)

Ventrillo (http://www.ventrilo.com/)

Death Engineer
08-31-2003, 03:28 PM
I used TeamSpeak for the first time last night and I have to say that the quality was superior to Roger Wilco. However, this may mean (almost certainly) that it uses more bandwidth which could be a crucial point to games like Serious Sam. In Q3, it didn't seem to make a difference for me.

I have also used Ventrilo and the voice quality seemed to be about the same as TeamSpeak. However, Ventrilo has some buggy behaviors (like disconnecting some people whenever someone else joins the channel) that would cause me to recommend TeamSpeak.

It should be noted that while TeamSpeak and Ventrilo have support for separate password protected channels, Roger Wilco is simpler to set up but offers less options.

That's my review for what it's worth.

DE

JayChyl
08-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Teamspeak rules :jam:

(

OUTLAWS Jag
09-01-2003, 02:05 PM
I have not noticed any slow downs with TS when playing sam.

Die Hard
09-02-2003, 09:50 PM
wow that sounds cool. I can't believe I've never
heard of it. I must move out of my cave soon :w00t:

EdoG
09-03-2003, 01:26 AM
:thumbs: Roger Wilco ROCKS! :oooo:

T I K
09-03-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Die Hard@Sep 2 2003, 04:50 PM
wow that sounds cool. I can't believe I've never
heard of it. I must move out of my cave soon :w00t:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Drunken Warrior
09-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Teamspeak and Ventrilo are fairly close in sound quality, with TS slightly better because of the new codecs it uses, plus TS has a few more options that Ventrilo doesn't have (user registration, Linux client and codec specific channels).
TS codecs:
CELP Windows 5.2 Kbit
CELP 5.1 Kbit
CELP 6.3 Kbit
GSM 14.8 Kbit
GSM 16.4 Kbit
Speex 3.4 Kbit
Speex 5.2 Kbit
Speex 7.2 Kbit
Speex 9.3 Kbit
Speex 12.3 Kbit
Speex 16.3 Kbit

Ventrilo codec: GSM 12.7 Kbit

Like I said you just get more options with TS than Ventrilo ( I would not recommend either for dial-up, though TS can do it, it just sounds like RW ).

I also have to agree with Sirc and Jag that there is no noticable lag due to using TS and that's with at least 6-7 people yakking at once :thumbs:

Pure_Evil
09-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Teamspeak also has badwidth adjustments. One problem that people have is they set for voice activated and their mic sensativity is too high! I have yet to be able to get all of {DS} to set to key activate, so I hear breathing and echos all the time. And with voice activated set wrong, you're wasting bandwidth by having Teamspeak being used constantly. watch the TS screen during practices and see who's killing their bandwidth.

We had the same problem with Roger Wilco, people not taking the time to set up the service properly, but TS is clearer than RW, but RW was free for {DS} and TS server was not, thanks for the TS server Goober. :thumbs:

When used properly, all 3 programs do basically the same thing and are effective.

Goober
09-03-2003, 01:25 PM
After a little experimenting I found this problem/
With teamspeak running but not yet connected to the server Strafing right and left in serious sam is slowed down by about 25-30%. Connecting to the server doesn't make it any worse.
I have 512mb of memory so that shouldn't be the problem. and a Barton 2400 processor so..what the heck? Oh and my bandwidth was set at 17kb up and down. and no one else was on the server.

Drunken Warrior
09-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Goober@Sep 3 2003, 07:25 AM
With teamspeak running but not yet connected to the server Strafing right and left in serious sam is slowed down by about 25-30%. Connecting to the server doesn't make it any worse.
I have 512mb of memory so that shouldn't be the problem. and a Barton 2400 processor so..what the heck? Oh and my bandwidth was set at 17kb up and down. and no one else was on the server.
:WTF: :WTF: I don't know what to say, I've tested SS with and without TS on and I felt or saw no noticable slow down or lag either way :WTF: :WTF:

Death Engineer
09-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Goober@Sep 3 2003, 08:25 AM
Do you use a router?

Goober
09-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Death Engineer+Sep 3 2003, 01:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Death Engineer @ Sep 3 2003, 01:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Goober@Sep 3 2003, 08:25 AM
&nbsp; With teamspeak running but not yet&nbsp; connected to the server Strafing right and left in serious sam is slowed down by about 25-30%.&nbsp; Connecting to the server doesn&#39;t make it any worse.
I have 512mb of memory so that shouldn&#39;t be the problem. and a Barton 2400 processor so..what the heck?&nbsp; Oh and my bandwidth was set at 17kb up and down. and no one else was on the server.
Do you use a router? [/b][/quote]
Yes I do

Goober
09-05-2003, 05:38 PM
A little more experimenting.
left and right strafe with any weapon.....very slow
jumping left or right normal speed
I pressed caps lock and strafe spead went back to normal
running slowed down to a walk as it&#39;s supposed to.
go figure.
Reinstall sam maybe?

JIMINATOR
09-05-2003, 05:43 PM
look in the controls for the run/walk toggle, and unassign that button...

Drunken Warrior
09-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Sep 5 2003, 11:43 AM
Jup that&#39;s what I did :thumbs:

Goober
09-05-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Drunken Warrior+Sep 5 2003, 04:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Drunken Warrior @ Sep 5 2003, 04:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JIMINATOR@Sep 5 2003, 11:43 AM
Jup that&#39;s what I did :thumbs: [/b][/quote]
That was the problem.......Thanks a whole bunch fellers.
Sometimes I just feel stupid....and then I look in the mirror.

Death Engineer
09-11-2003, 06:54 PM
I can now speak from experience about this voice chat question since I&#39;m running 2 TS servers on my second machine (600Mhz). It is fairly easy to setup and maintain with an unbelievable amount of control given for security purposes (everything from general access to the ability to create channels or changing the codec).

The bandwidth and voice quality is dependant on the codec that you choose. I have found that the Speex codecs give the best sound / bandwidth taken. I generally use the 7 or 9 versions of that codec.

I can still play DAOC and Q3 without really noticing any more lag than usual. At one point, I had 8 people connected to one server and 5 to the other and Q3 was still running smooth with no delay. I won&#39;t comment about Sam. The lag there is....well....there anyways.

There&#39;s my take.

Goober
09-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks DE for the information. I will give the Speex Codecs a try.