PDA

View Full Version : Serious Sam Tips

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
09-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Hey guys,

Well, since you guys welcomed me to this board so nicely, I think I'm going to give away some of my tips, which you may or may not already know, or that you know but do not really think about. So enjoy!

General Gameplay Tips

1. Time is precious!- The most important aspect of Serious Sam, by far, is time. For every second that one wastes, either hunting down a hidden power-up, or searching for that elusive cannon, is a second that the enemy is out killing. And that is a sacrifice that one cannot afford to make. So, as a general rule, always stick to the basics, if you intention is to win the game. Granted, it is tempting to go after secrets in the game, to add variety and spice to your gameplay experience if nothing else, but you will be much happier in the long run when you actually win.

2. The sneaky one- Nobody likes someone who is sneaky in life. But in Serious Sam, if you're a sneaky player, other players will not like you not only because your being sneaky, but because YOU'RE WINNING. And that's the bottom line. Being sneaky can be as simple as staying away from a mass firefight and shooting at the hoard on the perimeter, or running along the walls in open areas to blend in and stay camoflauged. Or, deciding to use the minigun instead of the lasergun for a long range firefight. The whole point is do not be obvious. Because obvious players get killed.

3a. Huh? What about Jaws?- Your character in Serious Sam is like a Great White Shark. If he stays in one spot for too long, he will eventually lose "oxygen" and it is only a matter of time before he will be fragged(sharks have to keep moving to have oxygen pass over their gills, even when they sleep they move). No sniper in Serious Sam, in a high level game, is going to make a dent on the scorecard. And, it's really obvious when a barrage of bullets have come from the SAME location for a while.

3b. I already took math..- A successful player never runs in a linear motion for longer than 3 seconds. When you are moving, always make sure you are jumping, and every few seconds make sure you turn around and check your back! One cannot hear footsteps in Serious Sam, therefore it is absolutely crucial to make every attempt to know if there are players around you. And again, running in a linear motion gives the enemy a clear understanding of where you are going to be next, and they can line up the shot to make the kill.

4. Pick off the weak- If you see someone with "red crosshairs", go after them! Don't even worry about the surrounding players- a player in the red zone usually only needs one more hit to go down. So take them down! Of course, in the fast paced game of Serious Sam, one does not usually have time to make the distinction between a player who has low health and a player who has higher health, but this does occur in rare instances.

5. Anticipate- Always anticipate what your enemy will do next. Will he run to the left, will he go after that +25 health, will he decide to switch to the knife..etc. Predicting the future greatly increases your chance of survival. Similarly, always act as if there if someone waiting for you down the corridor in indoor areas. I personally do not recommend throwing grendades down corridors or shooting rockets up elevators, because of the position give away, but some players do use it and swear by it. I, instead, recommend to "strafe jump" quickly with a shotgun preferably, when making a turn in a corridor. This usually catches the enemy by surprise and gives you just enough reaction time to take him/her out.

6. No courage- Serious Sam players often make the mistake of going after a player who either has you outgunned or is "green crosshaired" when you have low health. The chances of survival agaisnt a player who is equal to or exceeds your skill level is very slim. The best advice in this situation is to RUN AWAY. Switch to your knife and get the hell out of there. If you don't, all you are doing is racking up another frag for your opponent.

Weapons
Rating between 1-10

1. The Knife- Rating 9 - Arguably the best weapon in the game, and when one considers the fact that one always has it, that should not come to much of a surprise. The knife is crucial because it enables the player to run faster and jump higher. Not just by a little but, but by a substantial amount. Also, the "backstab"(instant kill) aspect of the knife is a very interesting and effective means of killing an opponent who does not watch his back. Although you can reach hidden areas with the knife that would not be reachable otherwise, I do not reccommend using this feature, as explained in General Gameplay Tips #1.

2. The Chainsaw- Rating 2- The chainsaw is, in all in all, not very useful. You are restricted to your melee range, but you do not have the extra speed that one has with the knife. Also, there is no "backstab" instant kill feature with the chainsaw. That said, one can also have a very fun time playing with chainsaws only with friends.

3. The Pistol- Rating 4- Perhaps the most underrated weapon in the game. Obviously, the double pistol increases the rate of fire by 2x, so it is desireable to have two if possible. The interesting aspect of it is, that you have it all the time, and it is useful for finishing off "red crosshaired" players in a medium to long firing range. Obviously, one should not use the weapon if one has another gun, but when you first spawn, it can be a help in certain situations.

4. The Single Barrel Shotgun- Rating 8- The single barrel shotgun is a very useful weapon. It allows for a quick rate of fire and can be devasting to a mass of players. See "Double Barrel Shotgun" for more information on how to use it.

5. The Double Barrel Shotgun- Rating 10- The double barrel shotgun has been shown, time and time again, to be the weapon of choice for succesful players. The weapon should not be used in long range firing, however. The reason for this is the simple fact that one gives away his position by hitting a target with the shotgun in long range, and the actual damage done to the target is very minimal. It packs twice the punch as the single barrel, but does take twice as long to reload. So, as a general tactic, try to get as close as possible to the target when using the shotgun, and THEN fire. Not the other way around. A very useful technique is to combine jumping around and/or over the target and hitting them with a full double barrel shotgun blast. The affect produced is nothing short of amazing.

6. The Tommy Gun- Rating 3- The Tommy Gun is a show gun, period. I never recommend that one use the tommy gun. It requires a lock on the target for much too long of a time. In that time period, the target has either run away or has taken you out already. Avoid the temptation of using this gun at all costs.

7. The Minigun- Rating 7- The minigun only has merit in a long range situation. It is the weapon of choice for long range outdoor areas, but for indoor areas and in close-medium range firefights, it is very unproductive. The reason is, like the tommy gun, it requires a longer lock on the target than normal, and when a target is close, this becomes very difficult. The weapon does not have too bad of a position give away, and unless the target also has a suitable long range weapon, this is not usually a problem anyway.

8. The Flamethrower -Rating 3- The flamethrower is nonsense. It was useful in the campaign to take out the little frogs, but that was about it. Spraying the hot napalm across the battlefield will only give away your position, and not give you any kills. Again, avoid the temptation of using this weapon at all costs, unless faced in a close range situation where it is your only weapon and knifing would not be suitable.

9. The Rocket Launcher- Rating 5- The Rocket Launcher can be useful, however, in most indoor environments, there is simply too much risk involved. In a firefight, often times it is very easy to kill yourself, which is the absolute worst thing that you can do in Serious Sam. One must almost remain in a single position in a tight indoor environment to avoid suicide. In long ranges, the rocket itself is much too slow, and the "grey trail" from the rocket is a dead give away on your position. If you do use it, make sure that you fire at the ground, and never in a horizontal way like a standard gun. This will greatly increase your chances of fragging.

10. The Grenade Launcher- Rating 7- The Grenade Launcher is useful in tight indoor areas. The unique advantage here is the fact that one can bounce the grenades around corners and poles, which can frag an opponent who was either running away or waiting for you around the corner. Another interesting aspect is its high rate of fire, although the range of the weapon is very much reduced when one does this. This does have merit in a situation where a hoard of players are having a fire fight, and you are dropping in a barrage of grenades from an above position. The weapon also does not give away position as easily as other weapons, which is without question an advantage.

11. The Lasergun- Rating 6- The lasergun is a useful weapon, but it is unfortunately a very weak weapon. The "location give away" cost to benifit ratio is too high for this weapon to be successfully regularly employed. It is my weapon of choice, however, in Red Station. Combined with the Serious Damage Powerup, one can really rack up kills in Red Station in a very short amount of time with this weapon. This is the only weapon which I can really only recommend for a specific level.

12. The Sniper Rifle - Rating 4- The sniper rifle is also a fool's purchase. One may be lured by the temptation of a "one shot kill", but how many times, in any computer game, or in life for that matter, does this approach actually work? The fact of the matter is, unless one has very good aim, your line of vision will be decreased for a very long time, and that spells disastor. It is very, very difficult to run and snipe with this weapon, thus making it only useful for standing in one spot type of shots. And I have already given my position on players who try this. Also, when one fires the sniper rifle, the entire arena can hear the shot. And that is, without question, a very undesirable feature to this weapon.

13. The Cannon- Rating 6- Some players may be surprised to see such a low rating for the "king of weapons". But, this weapon has major drawbacks, although it is essentially a one shot kill. First, it has a very slow rate of fire. If an enemy dodges one of your cannon shots, you are a sitting duck. If you try to shoot an enemy in an indoor environment, many times the weapon will bounce off of a wall, corner, or column, and not hit your target. Also, whenever you fire, unless your opponent is blind, everyone around you will know that you are firing. So, if you are going to use this weapon, and insist on using it, make sure you line up your shot correctly and ahead of time, or else you will just end up dead.

Final Thoughts

There are other aspects of Serious Sam that one simply has to learn by experience. This is by no means anywhere close to all you have to know to be a very successful Serious Sam player. But I hope that you learned something from my experiences, and I hope that you reconsider at least one aspect of your strategy, to make you better. Again, this is strickly my opinion, and is not the only way to win. But these tips sure work for me, and if you give them a try, I bet that they'll work for you.

EXEcution
09-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Excellent!
A job we'll done!
The anticipation is the most important aspect, because if youy can track a players movements they're as good as dead!

EXEcution
09-13-2003, 12:50 PM
:lol: U got 9 posts!

merkwannabe
09-13-2003, 04:11 PM
:thumbs: Wow, I am really impressed. That was very well written and said. How old are you anyway?

EXEcution
09-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by merkwannabe@Sep 13 2003, 12:11 PM
:thumbs: Wow, I am really impressed. That was very well written and said. How old are you anyway?
18!

Dangerous Dan
09-13-2003, 06:59 PM
very well thought out for a newcomer to serious sam, i can see you're going to go far, now you just have to get used to the maps and find a routine route that always allows you to get the weapon of choice, because after all, staying alive and finding a weapon is the key to doing anything you just described. :hmmm:

EXEcution
09-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Phrenic@Sep 13 2003, 02:59 PM
very well thought out for a newcomer to serious sam, i can see you're going to go far, now you just have to get used to the maps and find a routine route that always allows you to get the weapon of choice, because after all, staying alive and finding a weapon is the key to doing anything you just described. :hmmm:
He i awesome, he be me and JIM a couple mins ago!

FUS1ON
09-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by XtremeGamer+Sep 13 2003, 02:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (XtremeGamer @ Sep 13 2003, 02:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Dr. Phrenic@Sep 13 2003, 02:59 PM
very well thought out for a newcomer to serious sam, i can see you&#39;re going to go far, now you just have to get used to the maps and find a routine route that always allows you to get the weapon of choice, because after all, staying alive and finding a weapon is the key to doing anything you just described.&nbsp; :hmmm:
He i awesome, he be me and JIM a couple mins ago&#33; [/b][/quote]
Slow down and spell your words correctly :oooo:

EXEcution
09-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN+Sep 13 2003, 03:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS SHOGUN @ Sep 13 2003, 03:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -XtremeGamer@Sep 13 2003, 02:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Dr. Phrenic@Sep 13 2003, 02:59 PM
very well thought out for a newcomer to serious sam, i can see you&#39;re going to go far, now you just have to get used to the maps and find a routine route that always allows you to get the weapon of choice, because after all, staying alive and finding a weapon is the key to doing anything you just described.*&nbsp; :hmmm:
He i awesome, he be me and JIM a couple mins ago&#33;
Slow down and spell your words correctly :oooo: [/b][/quote]
:lol: i don wan

FASTway
09-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Great post 9.99^32
You have a very impressive knowledge of the game.

Everyone hates the chainsaw. :rofl:

MR. SLiK
09-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by FASTway@Sep 13 2003, 01:31 PM
Everyone hates the chainsaw. :rofl:
not me, its actually a good weapon if you use it right. It owns people trying to knife you cause of the range. I remember one time in Lost Tomb, i got the chainsaw and was waiting for the shotgun to spawn. Then 12 people (literally), came after me trying to knife me and i chainsawed them all. Was sooo funny.

MR. SLiK
09-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 9.99repeating^32@Sep 13 2003, 05:46 AM
7. The Minigun- Rating 7- The minigun only has merit in a long range situation. It is the weapon of choice for long range outdoor areas, but for indoor areas and in close-medium range firefights, it is very unproductive. The reason is, like the tommy gun, it requires a longer lock on the target than normal, and when a target is close, this becomes very difficult. The weapon does not have too bad of a position give away, and unless the target also has a suitable long range weapon, this is not usually a problem anyway.
i disagree. 10/10 for minigun you just have to use it correctly. And having to "lock on" players with it shows your true skill and accuracy because it has no spread unlike the shotguns. The same goes with the tommy gun as well but it fires slower and does less damage.

JIMINATOR
09-13-2003, 08:37 PM
ummm, i hate getting the chainsaw, screws up selecting the knife....
every time i get it i am glad when someone finally kills me....

DiTomasso
09-13-2003, 09:06 PM
in my opinion next to skill the most important thing is your connection, down and upload speed and the speed of your PC.

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
09-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all of the replies guys.

Just in case you didn&#39;t see my original posts, the name I use in game is 9999999999999999999999999999999, not 9.99repeating^32. I had to change it because the admin said that it was cropping off too much of the text.

To XtremeGamer and Jiminator- Nice game we had in Yodeller huh&#33; I think the problem was, you guys were using the rocket launcher too much, and I was able to get a lot of kills like that(the final score was, me 36, Jim about 25, and XtremeGamer about 20, it was a 1v1v1 only, no one else). But GG&#33; Side note: Xtreme, what were you trying to do with the Serious Speed? You were trying to go over the mountain? LOL.

Mr. Slik- I like your opinion, although I do disagree. I think you are right when you say that the chainsaw is useful in Lost Tomb, but is there another situation when the weapon has even the slightest bit of merit? In terms of the minigun for close range, you&#39;re right, it does take a great deal of skill to use. Espically if you get caught off guard, because it takes that second to warm up. And, I definitely think that 10/10 for the minigun is a little too extreme; if you consider the double barrel shotgun to be a 10 also. But again, we are all entitled to our opinion, so thanks for that input. Just hope that I&#39;m not playing with you and you have it, because I&#39;ll knife you. :yohoho: Then again, you might get me. ;)

DiTomasso- Yes, that is very important, no question about it. Definitely helps with aim. I left that out because once you have your computer, there isn&#39;t much you can do to speed up performance(at least in the short term, besides possibly defragmenting it).

Dangerous Dan
09-13-2003, 10:00 PM
don&#39;t judge the minigun&#39;s usfulness untill you&#39;ve played SLiK or Falkentyne... in the hands of the inexperienced it may be deadliest of weapons...

basically when it comes right down to it, there are three big weapons, or a "triforce" if you will: The DB Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, and the Minigun... all other weapons are just there to help you accumulate this triforce....

Die Hard
09-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Hey lots of 9&#39;s that was a great post.
Although where the hell did you find the
time to write that? :w00t:

One small point: You can hear players
footsteps in Sam. :thumbs:

He Is Legend
09-13-2003, 10:39 PM
My disk is coming to me soon guys ;)

Prepare for a ass kicking ;), Cheers..

JIMINATOR
09-13-2003, 11:28 PM
footsteps? Turn the music down, to about 2%....
I hear footsteps or a knife slashing, it is time to spin & shoot

Dangerous Dan
09-14-2003, 01:24 AM
i just played ya in fortress, gg :thumbs:

SoulReaver
09-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Great advice :thumbs:

13375n1p4
09-21-2003, 01:59 AM
Thanks :thumbs: Acctually I think the knif and shot guns should be given ratings 10 & 9

13375n1p4
09-21-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by 13375n1p4@Sep 21 2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks :thumbs: Acctually I think the knif and shot guns should be given ratings 10 & 9
:thumbs: No I MEAN it&#33;

Morpheus
09-21-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by DaRkAgent@Sep 13 2003, 08:50 AM
Excellent&#33;
A job we&#39;ll done&#33;
The anticipation is the most important aspect, because if youy can track a players movements they&#39;re as good as dead&#33;
avatar = equilibrium? that movie pwnz.

BOSTON SHOCKER
09-21-2003, 08:21 AM
The chainsaw is a very good tool in lost tomb &#33;

i love it..

Knife only in little trouble ohh thats fun &#33;

:cool: BS

merkwannabe
09-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS BOSTON SHOCKER@Sep 21 2003, 12:21 AM
The chainsaw is a very good tool in lost tomb &#33;

i love it..

Knife only in little trouble ohh thats fun &#33;

:cool: BS
How many times have people called you bad names because of your chainsaw antics.. :lol:

I think its funny, although the noise hurts my ears after ten minutes....

Sepra
09-22-2003, 02:23 AM
Wow&#33; Great post 9.99&#33;&#33;&#33; :cool: :thumbs: I have yet to play you but I&#39;m looking forward to it :drink:

BTW I also have the music volume all the way off and I hear every little sound (even footsteps ;) )

DiTomasso
09-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Sepra@Sep 22 2003, 02:23 AM
Wow&#33; Great post 9.99&#33;&#33;&#33; :cool: :thumbs: I have yet to play you but I&#39;m looking forward to it :drink:

BTW I also have the music volume all the way off and I hear every little sound (even footsteps ;) )
If you listen very carefull, you can even hear them breath in your neck. :rofl:

Die Hard
09-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by DiTomasso@Sep 23 2003, 10:05 PM
yeah and sometimes i get goose bumps :blink:

13375n1p4
09-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by DiTomasso+Sep 24 2003, 05:05 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DiTomasso @ Sep 24 2003, 05:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sepra@Sep 22 2003, 02:23 AM
Wow&#33; Great post 9.99&#33;&#33;&#33;&nbsp; :cool:&nbsp; :thumbs:&nbsp; I have yet to play you but I&#39;m looking forward to it :drink:

BTW I also have the music volume all the way off and I hear every little sound (even footsteps&nbsp; ;) )
If you listen very carefull, you can even hear them breath in your neck. :rofl: [/b][/quote]
The little internet buttercup of love strikes again wub wub i ma gonna quote this in this :P all the forums&#33;&#33;

DiTomasso
09-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Die Hard+Sep 23 2003, 10:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Die Hard @ Sep 23 2003, 10:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DiTomasso@Sep 23 2003, 10:05 PM
yeah and sometimes i get goose bumps :blink: [/b][/quote]
Was that you? :rofl:

Rivers
09-26-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Sep 13 2003, 08:37 PM
ummm, i hate getting the chainsaw, screws up selecting the knife....
every time i get it i am glad when someone finally kills me....
lol jim you said it :thumbs:

Nitro
09-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Shotty ownz&#33;&#33; :wootrock: :wootrock: