PDA

View Full Version : Using linux now

MR. SLiK
09-20-2003, 05:51 PM
anyone using linux here? I downloaded both iso files for Gentoo linux (a friend reccommend i use it since im a newb to linux). The one thing i cant seem to figure out yet is how to install it off this disk (im running it off the cd i created) I also have a second cd with mozilla n stuff but i have to figure out how to install that stuff to :P This "browser" im using now is like edit.com in windows.

EXEcution
09-20-2003, 05:56 PM
What makes Linux harder than Windows?

MR. SLiK
09-20-2003, 06:12 PM
I've never used linux before for one, and its a lot more difficult (for me) than windows to setup. Doesnt have the my computer and all that stuff. I still dont know yet how to install it to one of my hard drives (im working off the cd right now). And this browser, Links, is only text. No images. I do have Mozilla on the Disk2 along with other stuff though.

Scorch
09-20-2003, 06:13 PM
So you going with the east plan to destroy Microsoft? :P

MR. SLiK
09-20-2003, 06:17 PM
no scorch :) I've been interested in learning how to use linux for a while now. One of the cool things though, is you have 4 different consoles in which to do stuff. Right now im using the first one, for browsing and posting here. Second one, i have for doing the install, the third for the installation, and the fourth i havent used yet. This text only browser is annoying as hell though since right now i cant use the mouse at all (pure keyboard goodness).

JIMINATOR
09-20-2003, 07:09 PM
gentoo, never heard of it.
get mandrake, it is a standard linux, easy to install, works well,
is pretty much configured out of the box.

prolly the only thing you will want to do is divide the drive
up into 3 partitions, swap, /, & /home (for personal files),
that way if any problems with the install, you
just reformat & reinstall on the /, and all your home files remain...

MR. SLiK
09-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Yeah im reading the documentation on the 3 partition deal, but for some reason the fdisk doesnt see my second hard drive (i can see it in bios and windows). I do not want to format my main drive. The second hard drive is completely clean now, i even made it my second boot device (cd rom first so i can load gentoo), but i still can only see my C drive through fdisk.

JIMINATOR
09-20-2003, 09:54 PM
uhhh, what are you talking about, fdisk??
linux includes a version of fdisk, but that is a pos,
they have graphic partitioning stuff instead,
should be really easy to use,
i think that may be a problem with some of the 'easy'
distros, they take all the choices away, that is why
i like mandrake, easy but powerful.

MR. SLiK
09-20-2003, 10:01 PM
i do fdisk /dev/hda to get into it but it only shows my primary ide drive. ive tried /dev/hda2 n what not to access the slave but i cant. In the instructions i need to make 3 partitions.

Phobos
09-20-2003, 10:02 PM
I´m using linux too :drink: at my other computer

but it´s difficult :bandhead:

I have to learn it better :thumbs:

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
09-21-2003, 05:32 AM
I haven't tried Linux yet.
But soon