PDA

View Full Version : price drops--and new 411

ME BIGGD01
10-28-2003, 04:16 AM
As I mentioned about the price drops that were coming soon, they just started.

Intel made some nice cuts in the p4 line which should be nice for some of you who just want to upgrade there system with a newer processor. I do not suggest going out and building a new p4 system since the motherboards will not support the new Prescott chip which again is delayed until next spring.

As for the p4 ee--this chip which was announced during Amd's release of their 64 bit processor debut is nothing more than a paper launch to distract the weak minded souls. This chip will not be out until middle or late November and will cost you as much as 900 +. Benchmarks show it will be faster than the p4 line and beat the Amd’s FX chip in 2 out of 10 but will not outperform it. So it will be more expensive and will not outperform amd's now available chip and most of all, you can’t get one even if you wanted. I hate reading peoples posts about this chip since it's not available and even when it is available, Amd will have the newer FX 53 out and also the 939 pin which will alone add 10 % boost due to the latency reduction minus the registered ram. Intel is in trouble but we all know they have enough money to market anything and make believers of the unaware.

Amd also has cut there prices in the xp line and is still holding their high-end FX chips at a premium (why wouldn’t they, it's the fastest chip on the market today). Unless you have tons of cash to waste avoid this due to price and the must need ecc ram. The next chipset with 939 pin is what you will want because it will not require the registered dims and will give a 10 % boost due to latency reduction. As far as building a new system I would suggest not looking to build an xp system either if you expect it to be the fastest. This can be argued but the truth is you will get a little more performance out of a p4 with 800 fsb but nothing you will notice. I just want to state the facts. Now I would recommend you building an xp system if you were on a budget and wanted an ass kicking gaming system but not expect the fastest rig in the world. This suggestion is due to price/performance ratio. Regardless of Intel’s price drops (trust me, they wouldn’t drop them if they didn’t have to) the complete system on an Intel platform will cost you allot more than an equal performance Amd xp platform.

AMD XP 2600 333 FSB=105.00-RETAIL W/3YR WARRANTY
CHAINTECH APOGEE NFORCE2 BOARD FULL ATX/AGP8X USB 2.0=55.00
2 STICKS OF Kingston 256 DDR PC3200 CAS2=100.00
ATI-9600 PRO W/256 MB RAM=150.00
1-ata133 80 gig 7200 rpm Maxtor hard drive =69.00
Case=50 with 400 watt power supply=40.00
Samsung 52xcdrw/16xdvd combo=60.00
Floppy drive--10
Total--589.00 and everything is still upgradeable.

This platform including the nforce2 has proven to be efficient and well worth the price. The reason I chose the 2600 and not the 2500 is because the way Amd has kind of screwed everyone with their numbering scheme. The point Amd was trying to make is that MHz does not matter and they are right but... the naming scheme to the unaware will rip you off on performance. The 2500 is the Barton core with extra 256 l2 cache Amd runs at a clock speed of 1.84 GHz but a 2400 xp runs at 2.0 GHz and in most benchmarks the 2400 will outperform the 2500. the 2400 is a 266 fsb while the 2500 is a 333fsb and still the 2400 seems to be a little faster and 10 dollars cheaper but I wanted to take advantage of the dual channel controller of the nforce 2 board and that's the reason I chose the 2600 which is 333 fsb (they also have a 266 version but not what I am talking about) and clocked at 2.1 GHz and out performs both the 2400 and 2500. just as a quick note, the p4 at 2.6 GHz 800fsb cpu today costs 169.00 dollars after the price drop and will only beat the xp2600 in an sse2 optimized programs and maybe a little more but nothing anyone would notice. To me Intel needs another price drop to make them a value CPU because you do not get enough return for your money which is my point on price/performance.

Now if you were looking to get the second fastest platform on the market (second to the Amd FX chip), I would recommend the Amd athlon64 platform. This platform will outperform the highest end available chip from Intel in most of the benchmarks along giving you a future proof system that will give 32bit and 64 bit abilities. You can not lose since the platforms design is just a work of art including the 1 Meg l2 cache and onboard memory controller which reduces the latency dramatically. Why this and not just the FX chip? Well I don’t have the money for the FX chip and the Athlon 64 will use non registered ram which gives full performance. It wont beat the FX’s performance but will whoop Intel’s p4 (don't mention a p4 ee to me until any of you have one). This is the system to build if you are building from scratch and want the best technology. I would recommend any computer freaks to read the specs on this platform to really see what you are getting and then compare it with any p4 platform. One key thing to remember as I have always argued about---make sure you can always upgrade to the board. With this platform it is kicking ass and it's today's and tomorrows technology.

I can go on and on but will end this post with this. My 2 year old Amd mp platform rig was a great purchase and I can still upgrade it. When a company puts out a product and gives you the ability to upgrade at a low cost without having to purchase a new system, I have to cheer them on and continue to buy their products

ME BIGGD01

Slice
10-28-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Oct 28 2003, 12:16 AM

I can go on and on but will end this post with this. My 2 year old Amd mp platform rig was a great purchase and I can still upgrade it. When a company puts out a product and gives you the ability to upgrade at a low cost without having to purchase a new system, I have to cheer them on and continue to buy their products

I would agree with you a year ago on that statement. AMD has hung in there and still hangs on to their small percentage of the market share which I think is great because they help the Intel users cost wise. As of lately though the higher end AMD chips are the same or cost more then Intel's for the same or in some cases less performance. AMD is losing their grip on the "cheaper chip" legacy.

ME BIGGD01
10-28-2003, 05:01 AM
well if you are reffering to the xp chips i will not argue regarding price but they have dropped down and you can buy a 2800 for under 150.00 dollars. i do think the 3200xp chips are crazy priced and do not think the performance boost to the higher end xp chips are worth buying until they are priced at 140 dollars or lower. that's why i chose 2600 and maybe i would choose the 2800. as for amd charging more than intel with the high end chips, they have to charge more in order to stay in business but..... the athlon64 is cheaper than intels 3200 p4 and it's faster. the only processor that's really expensive is the fx chip and that is because they are in low supply and will profit to the enthusiast. i am not sure how anyone could say intel is a value regardless of the price drops when they are still more expensive than amd's chips and does not have the crown anymore.

i also could careless about the market. we all know amd is small and does not have the deep pockets like intel yet they still manage to come out with better technology. this helps us because we get faster and better technology and lower cost. it also keeps intel on it's toes. you show me an analyst that knows anything about computers and i will be shocked.

regardless of who makes more money, i am strictly commenting on who has the best chip and how anyone can get a good pc for low cost. i am sure this time next year amd will have made a profit on their products even if they have to charge more for them to make it.

Pure_Evil
10-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the 411, it was a great read and including a system build and cost :thumbs:

Nice work.

I just replaced my intel system with a AMD because I just couldn't afford the intel mobo and CPU, why pay a extra $60 or so for the same performance :WTF:

ME BIGGD01
10-28-2003, 10:00 PM
:thumbs:

truth be told, that when it comes to pure number crunching, the amd's fpu can NOT be beat. when a program is optimized for intels instruction set (sse2), intels chip pulls ahead. I would also add that amd's athlon64 series includes sse2. i think you made a good choice pure and would like for you to post the total amount you paid for your gaming/lan party system.

Fragetti
10-29-2003, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the Info ME BIGGDO1 :thumbs: So from what I read this should be
my next rig: what do you think (was going with P4 2.8 800fsb/abit ic7g max II)

Athlon 64 3200 $404
ABIT KV8-MAX3 Motherboard for Athlon 64 Socket 754 Processors $209
1 Gig Memory
Dual Maxtor 120 Gig SATA - Raid
yes <> No

If I did build the Intel system it would have been my first since I am AMD all the way. My favoret low end bullet proof system(abit KT7a & 1.4 Thunderbird)only replace 2 boards out of 30 with bad caps. Now you can build this for 80 bucks.
go figure :thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
10-29-2003, 02:44 AM
that system would rock but would suggest 2 serial seagate hard drives w/8mg cache which are very low priced at 108.00

i use these in a stripe set and it definetly rocks along with very low noise.

you would definetly have one of the fastest pc&#39;s around for awhile and the ability to go to 64 bit and the ability to upgrade next year if you were crazy enough.

you can not go wrong.

alot of people say that there is no 64 bit software but trust me, it will be here next year and there will also be games that are 64 bit.

Rivers
10-30-2003, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the scoop bigg. :cool: