PDA

View Full Version : Transferring 8mm home movies to DVD

OUTLAWS Dixie Chick
12-24-2003, 03:40 AM
I need very "user" friendly software and simple instructions on how to do this. Can anyone give this blonde a clue on how to do this? :wacko:

JIMINATOR
12-24-2003, 07:45 AM
lol, you need some means of capturing the video first, if you
have something with a tv output, then you can use a tv card in the
computer to capture the video (and audio?)
once you have that, then hell, you can download movie maker 2
from microsoft.com. it is good for splitting up the video, adding
transitions, captions, etc, and fairly simple to use. save it as a ntsc
format, and then it can be burned directly to cd or dvd...

i am sure this sounds complex, but the hard part is the video capture card.

OUTLAWS Dixie Chick
12-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Thank you, Jiminator. Machine says he has video inputs on his videocard...hooray! :thumbs: I'll have to try this out after all the Christmas video is taped.

MANSON
12-24-2003, 08:58 PM
It works good! I have taken some VHS tapes and VHS-C tapes and transferred them to DVD. Pretty cool having home movies on CD!!

Bingo
12-26-2003, 12:48 AM
I suspect your biggest obstacle will be finding something that will PLAY an 8mm movie that actually has ANY sort of audio/video outputs on it.

Pretty much, as long as you can find a player with audio/video outs, the rest will be a cake-walk like Jim says. Just output the streams to Machine's vid card, and go from there.

I'll be supprised if you can find the player. If not, I kinda suspect your only real option will be what I did a couple years ago, and take the tapes to a Audio/Video business to be professionally done. If you do go that route, I'd try to just get it done to video, as I believe it's still cheaper than having them burned to DVD. Price it out. If it's much cheaper, than go the VHS route and have Machine burn them to DVD for you.

Bingo