PDA

View Full Version : Turn it off........leave it on?

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-07-2002, 03:34 PM
What are the benefits of leaving your PC on 24/7?

I have always turned my (home) PC off after each use.

Am I wearing any parts out, by turning it on and off 2-3 times a day?

You'd think I'd know the answers to these simple questions...........but I don't..........hence the reason for this post! :rolleyes: :D

Slice
11-07-2002, 03:40 PM
I just leave mine on. I don't care if something burns out. I will just buy a new one. I am a lazy ass though, and don't like to wait for it to boot and shutdown. :P

OPTIMOOSE
11-07-2002, 04:01 PM
I leave mine on all the time - i use it so frequently - me or the wife, so why should i turn it off..

I was told a long time ago thats its better to leave it on then turn it on and off many times...

But BLAH! what do i know!

:P

Joe

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-07-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by OPTiMUS PRiME v2.0@Nov 7 2002, 09:01 AM
I leave mine on all the time - i use it so frequently - me or the wife, so why should i turn it off..

I was told a long time ago thats its better to leave it on then turn it on and off many times...

But BLAH! what do i know!

:P

Joe
I had heard that it's best to leave them on too.............it was probably the manufacturers hoping people would wear out parts, and have to buy new ones! :D

Troop
11-07-2002, 04:17 PM
I usually turn it on once a day. I only turn it off when I go to bed unless I'm downloading some huge files.

Because the 'net is always on with cable, I don't keep IE on 'cause those popups jam the system and I'll have to reboot. Also in the screen saver settings, I never turn off the hard drives.

Basically, it's a matter of preferance to keep it on or off. I suspect though that a lot of people here leave the 'puter on all the time. It saves time on the boot and shutdown as Slice mentioned. Hope this helps with your query HPC.

Sauron
11-07-2002, 04:27 PM
i Turn my comp on when i get out of bed and turn it off when i go to bed so the comp is on when im awake

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-07-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Troop@Nov 7 2002, 09:17 AM
I usually turn it on once a day. I only turn it off when I go to bed unless I'm downloading some huge files.

Because the 'net is always on with cable, I don't keep IE on 'cause those popups jam the system and I'll have to reboot. Also in the screen saver settings, I never turn off the hard drives.

Basically, it's a matter of preferance to keep it on or off. I suspect though that a lot of people here leave the 'puter on all the time. It saves time on the boot and shutdown as Slice mentioned. Hope this helps with your query HPC.
Thanks Troop (and everyone else).
BTW I love your avatar! :D

Grimmy
11-07-2002, 05:01 PM
I never leave mine on at night. Some times on the weekend, I will shut the monitor off, that way save a little on the electric bill.

OUTLAWS Ada
11-07-2002, 07:38 PM
I keep mine on when I go out otherwise it gets a bit drafty! Sorry what were we talking about? :huh:

Grimmy
11-07-2002, 07:44 PM
:lol: Ada, you are silly B)

|SCK|Sephiroth
11-07-2002, 08:00 PM
i turn it off each time I leave the house now. Recently I left it on when I went to school and someone got in and decided to go buckwild in my computer!

OUTLAWS Behind You?
11-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS high ping camper@Nov 7 2002, 09:34 AM

You'd think I'd know the answers to these simple questions...........but I don't..........hence the reason for this post! :rolleyes:  :D
The original story line is that is better to leave the PC on 24/7 because it is better for the chips to stay at operating temperaturs instead of many heat up, cool down cycles. Analogy, a light bulb will last longer if kept on than when it is constantly being turned on and off. At least that the theory I operate under. I leave all my PC's (5) on 24/7 except for the one at work, which gets turn off for weekends.

Grimmy
11-08-2002, 05:40 AM
A lot of the reason I don't leave mine on, well there are 3.

1) if I had a different OS then XP, you have to reboot to get a fresh start with TSR's. (I think that is what it is called) What it is, when you open and close a bunch of programs, there is stuff still in memory, and the only way to get them out is to reboot. I have had to do this several times if I was on the puter for long periods of time and open and closing lots of programs. Since on XP, seems like they have fixed that, probably the same for 2000.

2) The chance of being hacked due to having a cable modem. If you don't leave the door open, they can't enter!

3) Electricity isn't cheap here. I know the monitor is the major sucker of the juice and you can turn it off, but that still leaves the door open to hackers.

My 2 cents worth!

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-08-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Nov 7 2002, 10:40 PM
A lot of the reason I don't leave mine on, well there are 3.

1) if I had a different OS then XP, you have to reboot to get a fresh start with TSR's. (I think that is what it is called)  What it is, when you open and close a bunch of programs, there is stuff still in memory, and the only way to get them out is to reboot.  I have had to do this several times if I was on the puter for long periods of time and open and closing lots of programs.  Since on XP, seems like they have fixed that, probably the same for 2000.

2) The chance of being hacked due to having a cable modem.  If you don't leave the door open, they can't enter!

3) Electricity isn't cheap here.  I know the monitor is the major sucker of the juice and you can turn it off, but that still leaves the door open to hackers.

My 2 cents worth!
911! Someone call 911! ..Grimmy needs medical assistance............he just left a helpfull....serious post.
I fear a major breakdown is near! LOL
J/K thanks for your post Grimmy. :D

Sacrifice
11-08-2002, 05:56 AM
well i heard that if u want to save power u should keep you computer on if u are gonna use it again within 2 hours

Grimmy
11-08-2002, 06:11 AM
lol@HPC see, I can post something helpful! :P

Sac, that is true. If I know that someone is going to use the puter for a while in an hour or so, I will leave it on, but turn the monitor off, but I will not leave it on over night. Weekends it is on a lot, unless I am like mowing the lawn or something lol

Snip3r
11-09-2002, 03:52 AM
I leave mine on 24/7 with the side of the case off. This allows more air to flow into it and alot of dust to get into it. I clean it once a week. The reason I don&#39;t turn it off and on is because when things heat up they expand, when they cool down, they contrast, if you do this too much ur hardware will **** on ur leg. But who am I to know, I have a HP Pavilion <_< BTW putting a little fan blowing inside ur case can be quiet helpuful too ;)

Grimmy
11-09-2002, 04:54 AM
but then again you are talk minute parts, that don&#39;t move that much and are soldered on, and solder expands and contracts too, but keep continuity to everything. That is what the fans are for, you probably couldn&#39;t see how much it would expand. Being at room temp, and a not much above it isn&#39;t going to make a difference. The dust would be worse on your pc then the expand and contract. Dust hold static electricity, and when you whip it off, that is when you can zap and break s*it.

Gun Element
11-09-2002, 05:50 AM
I would leave mine on, but its in my room and I love to sleep with no noise. And its going to over heat so fast that Ill need a new one by the end of the week.

Grimmy
11-09-2002, 06:23 AM
why you think it is going to over heat?? If you have the proper fans and cooling, it won&#39;t.

666vicious666
11-09-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS high ping camper@Nov 7 2002, 07:34 AM

You&#39;d think I&#39;d know the answers to these simple questions...........but I don&#39;t..........hence the reason for this post&#33; :rolleyes: :D
I turn it off because I live in Ca and get reamed on my electric bill if I don&#39;t turn it off.

Grimmy
11-10-2002, 07:06 AM
me too, I need my own generator for the whole house and just tap in to the 220V but would like to have 3 phase to the house, it is cheaper to run&#33;

666vicious666
11-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Yea, turn it off...