PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union

Slice
01-21-2004, 03:09 AM
Can he be anymore teleprompter aided? Did he even read the damn thing before he stepped in to the room? George Bush=Puppet. Sorry but he is as dumb as the stones that lay in my driveway. I seriously question at this point whether or not he even has a say in anything anymore. It seems to me that all the cabinet heads holds the strings.

JIMINATOR
01-21-2004, 03:10 AM
i didn't bother. i see that i didn't miss anything...

Death-Dude
01-21-2004, 03:37 AM
I watched it all. Some of it I found scary, like this excerpt:

"Our agenda for jobs and growth must help small business owners and employees with relief from needless federal regulation, and protect them from junk and frivolous lawsuits. "

I don't know specifically what he means by "needless", but so far it has meant relaxing standards that have been established on things like how much mercury released into the air by coal processing, and other pollution regulations.

And again with "frivolous"
"To protect the doctor-patient relationship, and keep good doctors doing good work, we must eliminate wasteful and frivolous medical lawsuits"

My wife and I work directly with a lot of disabled children, as we are raising a disabled child, two with our foster children, do respite care for families with disabled children, and run a baseball league for disabled kids. I know a family that was awarded 3 million in a lawsuit, which they got half of, exactly, after the lawyer's cut. It will barely be enough to to fund his medical requirements through his first 18 years, if that. If Bush's proposed limit on awards is realized, future parents who's children are irrevocably damaged by an incompetent doctor (they had a 'visiting' doctor on hand, from Pakistan, he didn't even know his way around the hospital he was in, much less the procedures) will be limited on how much they will receive, severely limited. Of course, there have been some classic, truly 'frivolous' lawsuits, but making a hard cap limit, which he's proposed in the past, doesn't even allow an attempt to winnow out good lawsuit from 'frivolous' ones.

Fred Bear
01-21-2004, 06:59 AM
1.5 million and that wont cover medical requirements???? some one needs to go back to finance 101.

JIMINATOR
01-21-2004, 07:11 AM
uhhh, fred, have you ever been in a hospital? the bills are huge, and they just keep coming, and lord forbid that you should need anything special...

Fantum309
01-21-2004, 07:59 AM
From what I understand, Canada has a pretty good health care system. Maybe some of our Canadian members can enlighted us on how good or bad their system works? :unsure:

Pure_Evil
01-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Fred Bear@Jan 21 2004, 01:59 AM
1.5 million and that wont cover medical requirements???? some one needs to go back to finance 101.
Fred, racking up $83, 333.00 a year in medical bills isn't that hard when you have a handicapped child. If that child needs full time care, one parent can't work, that alone can run $40,000 off the top. My son's Pnuemonia cost over 6,000.00 and that was 2 nights in a hospital.

I really wish the USA would take care of itself first and fix other countries problems later :(

::: DARK PSI :::
01-21-2004, 03:03 PM
I watched the State of the Union.. funny I felt a sense of Deja Vu.. BECAUSE I HEARD THE SAME CRAP LAST YEAR!

Death Engineer
01-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Death-Dude@Jan 20 2004, 10:37 PM
I don't know specifically what he means by "needless", but so far it has meant relaxing standards that have been established on things like how much mercury released into the air by coal processing, and other pollution regulations.
Coal processing is a small business? :rolleyes:

Also, I have had a family member involved in a frivilous lawsuit. A drunk driver came into the ER with major head trauma after a wreck. My uncle was overseeing a doctor that performed a surgery on the patient with the understanding that the patient may not walk again (signed paperwork).

The man won more than $10M from a court in Mississippi including $3M from my uncle (who wasn't even at the hospital -- insurance companies normally only cover the first $1M between the personal and hospital coverage). This decision was only recently overturned IN THE SUPREME COURT. My uncle is now out more than a million dollars in court costs and legal fees. Explain to me why anyone would want to help you out as you lay there dying on the table when their families' food is on the line.

This is just one case of someone abusing the judicial system for personal monetary gain. It happens all the time.

/rant off

PimpDaddy
01-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Without risking a rant -
All State of the Unions are all show.

"Dumb as rocks" - Hardly, look up his school records and you'll see.

The cabinet heads are there for a reason - input. It's up to the President to make commitments to that input NOT STICK HIS FINGER IN THE AIR (or an intern) AND DO WHAT THE LATEST FOCUS GROUP THINKS HE SHOULD DO.

Heaven help us if any Democrat gets elected - Hold on your wallet and welcome terrorists and suck up to the worthless U.N.

End rant

Dangerous Dan
01-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Fantum309@Jan 21 2004, 07:59 AM
From what I understand, Canada has a pretty good health care system. Maybe some of our Canadian members can enlighted us on how good or bad their system works? :unsure:
i'm in canada, and let me say, we had a good medical system, btu it's all goign to hell over here on the west coast. British Columbia (the province i'm from) is at the start of reforming of privatizing healthcare. If this goes through, all our standards and prices will take a jump in the lake so to speak. We will no longer have a government medical plan were we can pay for (medi-care), so it'll all have to be covered at our own expense. As for conditions, they will surely deteriorate upon provatization as well along with appropriate wages for medical workers.

all in all, up her ein canada it's good, but goign to get a lot worse very soon

Elenka
01-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Death Engineer@Jan 21 2004, 11:01 PM

Also, I have had a family member involved in a frivilous lawsuit.* A drunk driver came into the ER with major head trauma after a wreck.* My uncle was overseeing a doctor that performed a surgery on the patient with the understanding that the patient may not walk again (signed paperwork).

The man won more than $10M from a court in Mississippi including $3M from my uncle (who wasn't even at the hospital -- insurance companies normally only cover the first $1M between the personal and hospital coverage).* This decision was only recently overturned IN THE SUPREME COURT.* My uncle is now out more than a million dollars in court costs and legal fees.* Explain to me why anyone would want to help you out as you lay there dying on the table when their families' food is on the line.

This is just one case of someone abusing the judicial system for personal monetary gain.* It happens all the time.

/rant off

It happened because your Common Law system is very stupid one... It would never happened in Europe, where Roman law system exist... It is really very very bad, i am soo sorry, but cant do anything... Btw do not think that such disoder (confusion) only at your country.. It is all over the world! Cause every country is leaded by a usual man, who makes mistakes.. :WTF:

Slice
01-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by PimpDaddy@Jan 21 2004, 08:24 PM
Without risking a rant -
All State of the Unions are all show.

"Dumb as rocks" - Hardly, look up his school records and you'll see.

The cabinet heads are there for a reason - input. It's up to the President to make commitments to that input NOT STICK HIS FINGER IN THE AIR (or an intern) AND DO WHAT THE LATEST FOCUS GROUP THINKS HE SHOULD DO.

Heaven help us if any Democrat gets elected - Hold on your wallet and welcome terrorists and suck up to the worthless U.N.

End rant
Yay he passed with C's from Yale. Big whoop, he shouldn't have even got in to Yale with his transcript. Daddy got him in. I grew up in Connecticut and lived about 15 miles from the college. I have friends that attended Yale and believe me he limped his way through....

Slice
01-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Slice+Jan 21 2004, 08:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Slice @ Jan 21 2004, 08:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PimpDaddy@Jan 21 2004, 08:24 PM
Without risking a rant -&nbsp;

End rant

[/b][/quote]
He pissed away billions of dollars and once again our economy is backed by smoke and mirrors. Do you really feel that your wallet is any fatter over the last 3.5 years, from the so called tax breaks? Give me a break...

JIMINATOR
01-22-2004, 12:50 AM
interesting article, look at the date on it...

http://www.theonion.com/onion3701/bush_nightmare.html

PimpDaddy
01-22-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Slice+Jan 21 2004, 07:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Slice @ Jan 21 2004, 07:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Slice@Jan 21 2004, 08:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-PimpDaddy@Jan 21 2004, 08:24 PM
Without risking a rant -*

End rant

He pissed away billions of dollars and once again our economy is backed by smoke and mirrors. Do you really feel that your wallet is any fatter over the last 3.5 years, from the so called tax breaks? Give me a break... [/b][/quote]
If you&#39;re saying he pissed away billions because of the war, keep in mind it is the presidents number one duty to protect America...I&#39;m all for that.

I do agree he spends too much; he&#39;s dang near a full fledged liberal when it comes to social spending...agree 100%

And YES of course my wallet is fatter because of the tax break GIMME A BREAK &#33; How can keeping more of my hard earned money NOT a good thing? Why do people think a tax cut is so terrible.............GEEEEEESH. If you don&#39;t like your tax cut PLEASE send your cut back to the government (or do you think you might have a better idea how to spend your own money :hmmm: ) But I want EVERY politician to keep their frickin hands out of my pocket &#33;&#33;

Slice
01-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by PimpDaddy+Jan 21 2004, 09:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PimpDaddy @ Jan 21 2004, 09:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Slice@Jan 21 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Slice@Jan 21 2004, 08:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-PimpDaddy@Jan 21 2004, 08:24 PM
Without risking a rant -*

End rant

He pissed away billions of dollars and once again our economy is backed by smoke and mirrors. Do you really feel that your wallet is any fatter over the last 3.5 years, from the so called tax breaks? Give me a break...
If you&#39;re saying he pissed away billions because of the war, keep in mind it is the presidents number one duty to protect America...I&#39;m all for that.

I do agree he spends too much; he&#39;s dang near a full fledged liberal when it comes to social spending...agree 100%

And YES of course my wallet is fatter because of the tax break GIMME A BREAK &#33; How can keeping more of my hard earned money NOT a good thing? Why do people think a tax cut is so terrible.............GEEEEEESH. If you don&#39;t like your tax cut PLEASE send your cut back to the government (or do you think you might have a better idea how to spend your own money :hmmm: ) But I want EVERY politician to keep their frickin hands out of my pocket &#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
So he was protecting the country? From what? A guy with a military that was defeated in less than a week and was hiding in a hole who also possesed no weapons that could blow up more than a city block. Don&#39;t get me wrong, I am glad that Sadam is not in power, but the reality is we were lied to and I hate ****ing liars. :devil:

FASTway
01-22-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Dangerous Dan+Jan 21 2004, 04:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dangerous Dan @ Jan 21 2004, 04:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fantum309@Jan 21 2004, 07:59 AM
From what I understand, Canada has a pretty good health care system.&nbsp; Maybe some of our Canadian members can enlighted us on how good or bad their system works?&nbsp; :unsure:
i&#39;m in canada, and let me say, we had a good medical system, btu it&#39;s all goign to hell over here on the west coast. British Columbia (the province i&#39;m from) is at the start of reforming of privatizing healthcare. If this goes through, all our standards and prices will take a jump in the lake so to speak. We will no longer have a government medical plan were we can pay for (medi-care), so it&#39;ll all have to be covered at our own expense. As for conditions, they will surely deteriorate upon provatization as well along with appropriate wages for medical workers.

all in all, up her ein canada it&#39;s good, but goign to get a lot worse very soon [/b][/quote]
Our health care system is publically funded but paralyzed by partisan politics. Our system as is is not financially sustainable (costs growing far faster than the economy in general) and if anyone tries to make much needed reforms you get the usual screams from people like DD.

In fact if you get sick and have the money ie:you are rich, it is common practice to go to the US for medical treatment rather than wait for months on end on one of our wait lists.

I can understand why so many Americans dislike Bush ( he is also not very poular here in Canada ) but I still think he was a better choice than Gore.

EXEcution
01-22-2004, 02:35 AM
I don&#39;t understand any of it.
Why are there so many issues in our country.
Its money right?
So why cant everyone have the same amount of it?
Im so lost......... ph34r

Pure_Evil
01-22-2004, 03:18 AM
When the hell is the government going to start helping Americans?????? :WTF: All this crap about helping small bussiness. Here&#39;s some facts. I work for a small company, 60days behind on most bill, 120 on others, just cut hours by 20%&#33; Just laid off 2 employees, 20% of it&#39;s work force&#33; ( Clinton era, twice the employees, no debt) No raises for 3 years...hmmm. Fact, plywood vender, her sales down 50%, My old employer, ranked in the top ten Nationally in it&#39;s field, just brought employees back from 2 month layoff and asked for a raise and incentive give back.

You can read all they news crap you want, but in Conn. the economy has f*cking sucked sucked since year 2000&#33;Right about when our President who took care of it&#39;s people, even the interns, and a new one came in and ignored home to meddle in the world&#33;

To hear people bring up banging a intern and compare it to ignoring your nations economy and unemployment is a joke&#33; Almost as funny as hearing Bush mention steroid abuse :rofl: When his sorry ass is voted out of office, and our nation becomes strong again, it&#39;ll be fun to hear the who&#39;s the president banging instead of how many Americans are dying in Iraq and how high unemployment is&#33;

Dangerous Dan
01-22-2004, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by FASTway@Jan 22 2004, 02:23 AM

Our health care system is publically funded but paralyzed by partisan politics. Our system as is is not financially sustainable (costs growing far faster than the economy in general) and if anyone tries to make much needed reforms you get the usual screams from people like DD.

true enough, and i know what you mean, both of my grandpa&#39;s spent many many months overdue for heart surgery, they just kept being pushed back, so i have to agree with ya on the sustainability.

i&#39;m, just on the stuborn majorities side casue i&#39;d hate to think of what would happen to me and the rest of my family if we needed serious medical attention, yet coudlnt afford it. I&#39;ve heard a lot of stories about ppl in the USA and OTHER COUNTRIES (http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=35861) who&#39;ve been in serious need and havnt gone after medical aid on the basis it costs too much...

i guess the bottom line is i&#39;m just scared, please forgive my ignorance

PimpDaddy
01-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Some people are listening to too much NPR.......

No more comments.....

Pure_Evil
01-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by PimpDaddy@Jan 22 2004, 05:29 AM

No more comments.....
:WTF: people actually listen to that :blink:

I just catch the news on Saturday Night Live every weeek and call it good :thumbs:

MANSON
01-22-2004, 12:56 PM
I can&#39;t stand either BUSH&#33;&#33; MY grandfather (Back when he was alive) worked for the same company for 44 years and only had 1 job in his entire life. He was a patroleum engineer for what was at the time one of the biggest oil companys around. H. L. Hunt who was worth 5.5 billion when he died which was about 20 years ago i think. So 5.5 billion was a lot more back then than it is now. Anyway where my Grandfather worked he was told as was everyone in the company that they had to vote for BUSH (the old Bush not the new one) or they would be fired. The reason was that That Bush as well as the current one was for the big companys and the rich. REPUBLICAN&#33;&#33;&#33; My grandfather being the man he was felt he had to vote for BUSH since he was so dedicated to his job of 44 years. He didn&#39;t approve of BUSH but felt he had no choice. Which I would of voted for someone else on purpose if someone told me I had to vote for a certain person but my grandfather was from the old school of life so he did things a little different&#33;&#33; Bush as well as his father (former president) are both for the rich and wealthy more so than for us average people. There were alot more things about H.L. HUNT that I can&#39;t remember and this situation that pissed me off but it has been to long to remember it all. I just thought about some of it. H.L. HUNTS compnany use to get all kinds of tax breaks and things you would not beleive from the goverment...DAMN wish I could remember what some of it was...oh well big companies get away with alot&#33;&#33; They have the money so I say make them pay just like the poor man has to&#33;&#33;

FASTway
01-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Dangerous Dan+Jan 21 2004, 07:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dangerous Dan @ Jan 21 2004, 07:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FASTway@Jan 22 2004, 02:23 AM

true enough, and i know what you mean, both of my grandpa&#39;s spent many many months overdue for heart surgery, they just kept being pushed back, so i have to agree with ya on the sustainability.

i&#39;m, just on the stuborn majorities side casue i&#39;d hate to think of what would happen to me and the rest of my family if we needed serious medical attention, yet coudlnt afford it. I&#39;ve heard a lot of stories about ppl in the USA and OTHER COUNTRIES (http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=35861) who&#39;ve been in serious need and havnt gone after medical aid on the basis it costs too much...

i guess the bottom line is i&#39;m just scared, please forgive my ignorance [/b][/quote]
Well basically you buy insurance or your employer will cover it for you.

Pure_Evil
01-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by FASTway+Jan 22 2004, 10:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FASTway @ Jan 22 2004, 10:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Dangerous Dan@Jan 21 2004, 07:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-FASTway@Jan 22 2004, 02:23 AM

i guess the bottom line is i&#39;m just scared, please forgive my ignorance
Well basically you buy insurance or your employer will cover it for you. [/b][/quote]
Not exactly true, we have co-pays & deductibles to pay, some things aren&#39;t covered, sometimes insurance only pays a % of the bill. My son&#39;s pnumonia a few years ago cost me about &#036;700, even though I pay &#036;60 a week for insurance ( that is only 35% of insurance cost, employer pays the rest)

Now if you are self employed and you buy insurance, it can cost betwwen &#036;300 and &#036;700 a month and still have deductibles and co-pays.

I have a co-worker with a bad tooth, his face is swollen, we have no dental insurance and he wont have the money to get it fixed until next week :( that&#39;s typical for working people in my area.

Thundarr
01-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by PimpDaddy@Jan 22 2004, 05:29 AM

No more comments.....
Erm, or NOT ENOUGH NPR... :rolleyes: :oooo:

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
01-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Fix Healthcare. Heh.
How about fixing the friggin 90 grand+ worth of bills I have from my MOM.
That is with great insurance as well.
Would you beleive that they actually tried to charge my Mom 15 bucks for a stinking Asprin?

Bush is a joke, He father was a joke.
He did not win the damn election I think he Gooofy ass Brother Jeb rigged it.

Thundarr
01-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS WHOCARES@Jan 22 2004, 05:11 PM
Fix Healthcare. Heh.
How about fixing the friggin 90 grand+ worth of bills I have from my MOM.
That is with great insurance as well.
Would you beleive that they actually tried to charge my Mom 15 bucks for a stinking Asprin?

Bush is a joke, He father was a joke.
He did not win the damn election I think he Gooofy ass Brother Jeb rigged it.
:thumbs: :angel:

Jive88
01-23-2004, 10:52 PM
:P