PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router

MANSON
02-02-2004, 02:03 AM
I am going to be getting a Wireless router in about a week and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of which one I should buy? Want one with a firewall built in of course...what is everyone else using?

Slice
02-02-2004, 02:38 AM
Honestly I think they suck. They are full of crap for the distance they say they can go. I will never buy Dlink again that is for sure. The wireless connection always locked up and dropped my laptop. Microsoft makes a half way decent one if you really need to go that route.

Goober
02-02-2004, 02:49 AM
I use a wired Linksys router to keep my comps in my office hard wired together and a wireless DLink access point to run my upstairs comps and laptop. The only problem I had with getting dropped on my laptop was the position of the access point. If it has to transmit through too many floor joists or a lot of duct work then you will have problems. I moved it to a more central point and have not had any trouble since.
When I had the access point upstairs I went to my neighbors house about 150' away and was able to hit 500kb download speed on DSL Reports site, and that's using the 802.11b series.....the 802.11g are supposed to be even better and they are cheaper then what I paid for my setup a year ago :bandhead:

Fragetti
02-02-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Goober@Feb 1 2004, 09:49 PM
I use a wired Linksys router to keep my comps in my office hard wired together and a wireless DLink access point to run my upstairs comps and laptop. The only problem I had with getting dropped on my laptop was the position of the access point. If it has to transmit through too many floor joists or a lot of duct work then you will have problems. I moved it to a more central point and have not had any trouble since.
When I had the access point upstairs I went to my neighbors house about 150' away and was able to hit 500kb download speed on DSL Reports site, and that's using the 802.11b series.....the 802.11g are supposed to be even better and they are cheaper then what I paid for my setup a year ago :bandhead:
Goober Am right there with ya bro :thumbs: I have a 72megabit setup and now that I repositioned my access point I average 48 meg anywhere in the house or yard :wave:

MANSON
02-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Hmm, makes me wonder if I should even buy one!!