PDA

View Full Version : Half-life 2 Targeted for Summer

SALvation
02-03-2004, 04:18 PM
CNN Story (http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/02/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm)

There is no way that it takes 8 months to rewrite parts that were stolen. This game was never finished and I really believe Valve used the break-in as an excuse to delay. What do you guys think?

Silent Sam
02-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Starting to think you might be right...though I also read an article about the FBI getting involved with the Source code theft so the theft was definately real.

SALvation
02-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Yea I think the theft was real, but I think the game was going to be delayed anyways. They just played up the theft so they could have more time.

JIMINATOR
02-03-2004, 05:34 PM
yes, the theft was real, and yes, i had an er, friend, yeah, that's it,
that saw the code, said the demo was unplayable, etc.
the code was really in a sorry half-ass state at the time it was ripped
off. like the thieves said, if the game was released in sept, that
was what you would have gotten. so now all of these updates??
like wtf does the theft have to do with anything? I can understand
how they may have to change *certain* parts of the games
that are security related, ie: the update engine, cdkey, etc,
but that should only be minor changes. I think the reality is that
they are just trying to do too damn much too soon...

EXEcution
02-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Its ridiculous, at least i get it for free with my ATi radeom Xt card, but still it better be the best damn game that was ever made when it FINALLY comes out.
I also think the theft was real, and Valve better not charge us for playing it online!

JIMINATOR
02-03-2004, 07:54 PM
online?? lol, you are only getting the single player portion, prepare to shell out another $50 to play online!!! :devil:

OUTLAWS DirtGod
02-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Ding nailed it on the head or maybe they just got the year wrong......sept...2004....:)

EXEcution
02-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Feb 3 2004, 03:54 PM
online?? lol, you are only getting the single player portion, prepare to shell out another $50 to play online!!! :devil:
Nope i get both like its says on the box!
:P :P :P

JIMINATOR
02-03-2004, 09:08 PM
hmmm, seems like they have revised the offer - maybe... :hmmm:

Death-Dude
02-04-2004, 01:11 AM
I think it blows. If I were cynical, I might say they do this just to up the hype level, and hopefully sell more. But, I'm not cynical. :hmmm: Actually, I think they'd profit more by scooping any other blockbusters to be released this year. They just aren't done, and they don't really know when they will be.

Since this thread, I've been looking around, and the 'bundled' HL2 only says "Full Version" from what I see. I don't know what "Full" specifically means. I remember discussion of this, and it seemed like they meant both sides of it, while they will offer the SP as a single sale, as well as a SP/MP retail version. Maybe a MP version by itself, too? Anyone find anything conclusive on this?

Slice
02-04-2004, 02:32 AM
It isn't going to blow you away.....

Speedsweeper
02-04-2004, 12:07 PM
I played a demo of it and was not really that impressed. Although the full game may be different i doubt i will be buying it.

Also is it true that as more and more games are getting bigger will you be charged to play them online? Coming from the UK i think this is inevitable and it sucks. Paying to play i think will drive more gamers away....unless you have the money.

What do you guys think?

Pure_Evil
02-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Chris@Feb 4 2004, 07:07 AM
I played a demo of it and was not really that impressed. Although the full game may be different i doubt i will be buying it.

Also is it true that as more and more games are getting bigger will you be charged to play them online? Coming from the UK i think this is inevitable and it sucks. Paying to play i think will drive more gamers away....unless you have the money.

What do you guys think?
Demo??? How did you play a demo of it?? I didn't think one was released??

I think paying to play on-line just sucks, and I wont do it! If I pay $20, $30, $40 for a game, then have to wait for a patch just to be able to play without bugs, then at least I want to be able to play on-line for free, since I pay $45 a month just to get on-line!

(Villains)****Death Sentence****
02-04-2004, 03:29 PM
pay for play is intollerable :down:

i totally agree with pure :wootrock: