PDA

View Full Version : Banner Ads

Caged Anger
02-24-2004, 03:29 AM
They always say you've won stuff. Have you really? Or is it some clever ploy to inject your computer with spyware. One of them really interested me. It was on the McAfee pages.
It says how your computer can be optimized in 5 minutes or Internet Explorer 5 has been detected, click here for your 5 minute tune up. I wanna click it, but some inner instinct tells me I shouldn't because I'll regret it.

Anybody have any ideas?

Jesse James
02-24-2004, 03:34 AM
Let me tell you this now, NOTHING is free. And most banners are just traps to dumb pages just so they can inject your computer with spyware. But the tune up ad...I wouldn't do it, you can do a google search on tune ups, don't take the chance with the banner.

Asian Invasian
02-24-2004, 03:43 AM
Those are the cheapest things ever like the "hit the target" and win thats just crap even if you click on the opposite sid of the target as far aways as possible you still win. Like JJ said if you want to upgrade just go to microsoft.com for the latest and greatest and those ads are all fake i clikc them all the time at my schools computer and they do nothing they ask for your email i mean how can they gove you money from there? Just forget them ad dont click them :thumbs:

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 03:53 AM
many companies that have banner ads will contract with ad companies that
actually sell the ad and pay per click. so maybe you are at McAfee, maybe
it is their ad, maybe like adzone (i made that one up).
so you go to another website that contracts with the same company,
and now they have statistical data on you.
anyway, the purpose of life is to exist, if someone on the internet is
not doing something for free, then they are doing it to exist, and the
way they do that is by separating you from your money. there are
no free sites on the internet. gm comes close, but somebody is paying
the bills.

PJ'l_Master
02-24-2004, 07:02 PM
i cant really say as i have never used them but they are probably some ploy to get some malicious material on you machine