PDA

View Full Version : comp is ****ed up

ZeLL
02-24-2004, 04:26 AM
what is this crap? hogs up all my processor and unless i delete the process, it slows down games like UT2k3 and FFXI, pretty much everything. It's really really bad the first minute i boot, like i can't click on anything or highlight anything. :bawling:

ZeLL
02-24-2004, 04:53 AM
maybe its time to reformat the ol hard drive.
got a lot of junk on this bad boy :drink:

FUS1ON
02-24-2004, 04:57 AM
Zell judging by the name of the file that is a prob'ly related to a printer problem. I did a search on Google and most things I saw suggested searching on MS's knowledge base for an awswer. LINK (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-US&pr=kbinfo&)

Like this one LINK (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=pw_isv&message.id=19)

SALvation
02-24-2004, 04:58 AM
That's your print spooler. Are you printing anything? Maybe reinstall the printer.

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 05:41 AM
it is apparently a problem with XP sp2, if you nuke sp2, you fix the
problem, otherwise if you can get a copy of spoolsv.exe from
longhorn, that also works, maybe updating the printer drivers will
work, maybe changing the printer settings to write directly to
printer will work, maybe uninstalling the printer will work (and installing
msoft drivers instead)
i think though this is what tanked sp2 for many people.
more if i can find it...

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 05:45 AM
hmmm, may also be a virus,
do a netstat -an at the command line and look at the results.
port 1987 by default...
look here for more info...
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data....ciadoor.b.html (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.ciadoor.b.html)

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 05:48 AM
maybe this will help...

Fix:---->
SIMPLY DELETE THE FOLLOWING REGISTRY KEY!:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2]
If this didn't work, then your problem is different - try this page: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...US&SD=tech&FR=0 (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q260/1/42.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=tech&FR=0)

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 05:49 AM
or this:

I am experiencing runaway spoolsv.exe on a Win2K Pro Dell Xeon w/s - continuing CPU activity, climbing memory consumption, high level of network activity, apps cannot find printers and hovering over Setting|Printers freezes the Explorer Start Menu and Task Bar. Stopping and Starting the Print Spooler from the Computer Manager clears these symptoms. Uninstalling either the MS Client for MS Networks OR the Novell Client for Netware (4.80 SP1.4.83) also clears the symptoms on next boot. On other forums, I am seeing reports that upgrading the Netware client to 4.83 is a solution.

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 05:50 AM
or this:

Thanks! The following helped.

Originally posted by Guest:
The way i normally get around it is to... delete any jobs in \winnt\system32\spool\printers\

Then had to go back into control panel -- administrative services -- services -- print spooler and restart the spooler, but all the installed printers then came back. Yeah! Thanks again.

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 05:51 AM
virus for this guy:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Pike:
Any of you people know why spoolsv thinks it needs to access the internet? My firewall is set to block it, so far with no ill effect.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My spoolsv wants access to the internet, too. It starts up at boot-time and repeats the attempt from time to time. Is there some spyware that uses spoolsv? Or does spoolsv iteself embed spyware?

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 05:52 AM
finally:

quote:
Originally posted by nonideal:
Spoolsv.exe = CPU hog
Possible Cause:
Print job still in que

Suggested Fix:
Cancel print job

Step by Step:
1. Go to Settings>Control Panel>Printers
2. Locate pending print que under the documents column.
3. Double click on printer to pull up spool que.
4. Right click on first job and select cancel.

Result:
This should cancel the hung print job and free up the CPU.

Typically this is the result of an incompatibility between the print job source and the printer driver. If you record the source of the job and the desired printer, you may be able to find out from the driver distributer where the conflict is originating-- it might be as simple as a font!!

WOW! Can't belive i didn't check that! Thx for stating the obvious! (for me it was the microsoft office2003 document converter/printer that had something waiting to be printed...)

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 05:52 AM
good luck. let us know what works.

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 06:37 AM
oh, one last thing, do a netstat -ano in the command window,
that will show the pid of all processes running,
when you then ctl-alt-delete, click on the processes tab,
then view/select columns, check pid, and you can see what
program is doing what.... can be useful for other stuff too...

PJ'l_Master
02-24-2004, 11:31 AM
WOW JIM!!!! Thats good work :thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
02-24-2004, 09:18 PM
umm, did anyone ever look at the other services running in that pic? boot into safe mode and clear out all that crap running in the background of your unit. goto msconfig and disable things temporarily (i am tired so if i spelled it wrong it's ok :oooo: ) and one by one enable them until problem occurs.

originally i would also ask when did thi sproblem start? did you install something lately? is your virus software up to date?

ZeLL
02-25-2004, 05:35 AM
wow lotta replies in one day thanks guys.

I have this program call PCMacLan that lets me use my dads macintosh printer. I'm the only PC on our network so its necisarry that i change for it.

Nothin new lately, yah i got a lot of other processes going on in the background, but I'm too damn lazy to do anything bout it. I'll do what you suggested my homey BIGGS :w00t:
I also found the same stuff on google about the spool, I'll try everything u guys suggested

thanks again :thumbs: