PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Dr. Laura

Thundarr
02-24-2004, 04:39 AM
Dear Dr. Laura,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I will try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Leviticus 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Leviticus 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Leviticus 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Leviticus 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Leviticus 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Author Unknown

Sauron
02-24-2004, 04:54 AM
:rofl:

RedHerring
02-24-2004, 05:13 AM
Awsome! Absolutely Awsome! :thumbs:

solid snake295
02-24-2004, 05:14 AM
lol, no one freak out here, just my opinion:
the bible is stupid :P

JIMINATOR
02-24-2004, 05:35 AM
well, the bible is what it is, or at least what lots of different people
thought at the time they were writing it. personally, not for me.
what i have a problem with is the morons who think it is literal truth,
and want to throw their bs in your face. literal truth meaning of
course exactly the way they interpert certain passages, and gloss
over others...

Thundarr
02-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Feb 24 2004, 12:35 AM
over others...
Exactly my point! :thumbs: How convenient people find it to single out certain parts of the Bible as, pardon the pun, "gospel" and forget all those other parts that are no longer applicable or acceptable in society today... If everything in the Bible is supposed to followed to the letter and be the guideline for morality as some would have us believe, then I'm guessing there's a whole lot more sinning going on in the world than we thought... :oooo: :angel: ;)

Nick
02-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Thundarr+Feb 24 2004, 11:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thundarr @ Feb 24 2004, 11:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JIMINATOR@Feb 24 2004, 12:35 AM
over others...
Exactly my point&#33; :thumbs: How convenient people find it to single out certain parts of the Bible as, pardon the pun, "gospel" and forget all those other parts that are no longer applicable or acceptable in society today... If everything in the Bible is supposed to followed to the letter and be the guideline for morality as some would have us believe, then I&#39;m guessing there&#39;s a whole lot more sinning going on in the world than we thought... :oooo: :angel: ;) [/b][/quote]
you should be "purified through pain" for your heresy &#33;&#33; :shifty: :hmmm:

Goober
02-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Oh....Lordy..............don&#39;t step outside if it ain&#39;t sunny today Thundarr.....Lightning will surely strike. :rofl:

Pure_Evil
02-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Let&#39;s put it this way. back in biblical times, if someone claimed to have seen a burning bush that spoke to them, people listened in awe.

Today, we lock that freak up and precribe prosac&#33;

Like it says under my avatar
Constantly amazed by the hypocrisy of todays society&#33;

I have to admitt it that I was :rofl: when I found out that my wife at the time was getting divorce counselling at our church :WTF:

Too many people us religeon as a justification or a tool, it&#39;s pathetic.

But those who can actually practice what they preach, God bless them. :thumbs:

Thundarr
02-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@Feb 24 2004, 10:45 AM

Too many people us religeon as a justification or a tool, it&#39;s pathetic.

But those who can actually practice what they preach, God bless them. :thumbs:
So true, Pure&#33;&#33; Anyone see the movie Bruce Almighty? I kinda liked the premise... "Quit begging God to do everything for you and get out there and do it yourself&#33;"

Fantum309
02-24-2004, 04:08 PM
To this day, I cannot go into a church without feeling uncomfortable. It&#39;s like I don&#39;t belong, like being on another planet or something. I tried to go to church and I tried to read the bible, but I have never been able to make any sense out of it.

I figured if I had the power that they say GOD has, then there wouldn&#39;t be anymore suffering in the world. Children wouldn&#39;t be abducted, molested, rapped, and killed, and there would be no such thing as disease, murder and starvation. But, I don&#39;t have the powers of this so called GOD, so I find it easier to not believe in any higher power. It&#39;s all a pipe dream.

But I will say this much.....If you believe, fine. I think it&#39;s okay to believe in what you want, and it&#39;s doesn&#39;t intrude into my life. Enjoy it if it makes you feel at peace with yourself.

Mr Clean
02-25-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Fantum309@Feb 24 2004, 10:08 AM
I figured if I had the power that they say GOD has, then there wouldn&#39;t be anymore suffering in the world. Children wouldn&#39;t be abducted, molested, rapped, and killed, and there would be no such thing as disease, murder and starvation. But, I don&#39;t have the powers of this so called GOD, so I find it easier to not believe in any higher power. It&#39;s all a pipe dream.
It is easy to criticize what someone else does when we don&#39;t have to do it. It is also easy to rationalize it without knowing the reason behind it. But it is truly hard to have faith in what is done without being able to question it.

;)

Death Engineer
02-28-2004, 05:05 AM
If the point that attempt of comedy is poking fun at Dr. Laura because of references she made to the old testament, I&#39;m failing to see the humor in it. The new testament is quite clear on the issue of homosexuality. Read Romans 1.

As far as truth goes, yes, I believe the Bible is truth. I believe in absolutes and all of you do too, whether you know it or not. The world would be full of chaos if we didn&#39;t. I&#39;ll expand on that if anyone is interested.

JIMINATOR
02-28-2004, 05:18 AM
lucky for those of us that were not born gay, we do not
have to suffer the absolute problem of our entire life being an abomination

Mr Clean
03-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Feb 27 2004, 11:18 PM
Who says you are born gay? Maybe it is a product of that person&#39;s environment.

Pure_Evil
03-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr Clean+Mar 1 2004, 06:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr Clean @ Mar 1 2004, 06:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JIMINATOR@Feb 27 2004, 11:18 PM
Who says you are born gay? Maybe it is a product of that person&#39;s environment. [/b][/quote]
and maybe not :dunno:

a truly pointless point by P.E. hoping to spark a tiny thought somewhere in the WWW

Death Engineer
03-02-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Feb 28 2004, 12:18 AM
Homosexuality is a choice. God blessed marriage between man and woman.

Thundarr
03-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Mr Clean+Mar 1 2004, 06:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr Clean @ Mar 1 2004, 06:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JIMINATOR@Feb 27 2004, 11:18 PM
Who says you are born gay? Maybe it is a product of that person&#39;s environment. [/b][/quote]
I have to say that I think it goes both ways.... BTW, anyone ever seen that show on TLC about people who are born with partly both genitalia? I watched it last weekend, it was really interesting and quite disturbing how some doctors react to it by immediately surgically making the baby into one or the other against the parents&#39; wishes... :blink: :hmmm:

EXEcution
03-03-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Death Engineer+Mar 2 2004, 12:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Death Engineer @ Mar 2 2004, 12:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JIMINATOR@Feb 28 2004, 12:18 AM
Homosexuality is a choice. God blessed marriage between man and woman. [/b][/quote]
i though it was in our genes... :angel:

Death-Dude
03-03-2004, 03:35 AM
I have a few gay, and several lesbian friends, they seem to think that they are just &#39;that way&#39;. Others say that it is environment, still others think it is a combination of both. I&#39;m not totally sure which is right, but I&#39;m sure there will be homosexuals as long as there are humans, looking at history. So, I think our choices are to either kill them all, orstuff sparrows down their throats &#39;til the beaks poke out of the stomach walls*, or just get along with them as we do other people we live and work with, whether we approve of them or not, and judge them by the content of their character, not the color of their mauve-and-teal tea cozies.

*Possible solution to the &#39;gay&#39; problem suggested in Monty Python.

BobtheCkroach
03-05-2004, 05:46 AM
I&#39;m going to try and post my opinions without starting a huge fight. When Jesus was crucified, he changed how a lot of things were. The Old Testament is around because it is the history of God&#39;s children, the Jews. A lot changed when Christ died on the cross. The Old Testament is more of a code of guidelines now than actual law. Yes, some law remains - I don&#39;t know a single Christian that says the Ten Commandments are "guidelines" however, a number of the Old Testament laws were based on rules of the day, persay. For instance, the Old Testament says that long hair and tatooes are a sin. In the Old Testament, God often allowed killing in his name. Christ brought a new mentality. Under Christ, you are called to love you neighbor. The focus of religion moved quite a bit. In the Old Testament, religion was very much about faith in God, but also about tradition - you need to look this way, act this way, do not eat pork, etc. Many of these rules are no longer regarded, as Christ shifted the focus to faith more than actions. So Dr. Laura&#39;s quoting the Old Testament was an iffy move. If she quotes the Old Testament, she exposes herself to quite a few of the other old Testament commandment, as our anonymous friend showed. The key is quoting the New Testament, which should be the true guiding light to modern Christians. As far as God not intervening to stop rape, molestation, etc. God created a world with free will. God said that he would not intervene in our lives. We have the choice to do what we will. If he created us all and allowed no free will, what would be the point to living? Just stick us in Heaven and be done with it. This world is a test to see if you will go to Heaven, and if he didn&#39;t give us free will, there would be no test. The trade-off of free will is that bad things happen to innocent people. My heart goes out to those who don&#39;t understand this or are turned off to God because of this. My grandpa is one of these people - he fully believes in God, but refuses to acknowledge Him or worship Him because of what he saw in Vietnam.

I will not end with " but this is just my opinion" because it&#39;s more than that. I will not force my beliefs down your throat - I don&#39;t want a Muslim, Jew, etc. to tell me why I&#39;m wrong, and I would not want to reverse the situation and do that to you. I do believe that I am right with all my heart, and I truly believe you are missing something wonderful. I hope that God is in your future, but I will not try and tell you that "I&#39;m right and you&#39;re wrong." I can respect a Jew who tells me there beliefs and respects mine. I may not agree, but they are free to believe what they will. On the other hand, if another Jew tries to tell me that I am dead wrong, I totally discredit that person. I may believe that you are wrong, if you disagree with me, but part of that free will is that you are entitled to belief.

solid snake295
03-05-2004, 07:40 AM
i got a question, why are there so many freakin religions?
everyone cant be right in what they believe in can they?
its kinda like betting you life on the super bowl, pick the winning team or your screwed :angel:

get what im saying?

and to quote the man show as good as my memory will allow " if you go to eternal paradise after you die, why does everyone wear a seat belt? :P "

Sauron
03-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Mr Clean+Mar 2 2004, 12:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr Clean @ Mar 2 2004, 12:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JIMINATOR@Feb 27 2004, 11:18 PM
Then Gay Animals must have a wrong environment too&#33; And yes there are animals that are gay&#33;

BobtheCkroach
03-05-2004, 04:56 PM
No - not everyone can be right in what they believe in. And, yes, I suppose, your super bowl analogy is sorta metaphoric, if you pick the wrong team, then yes, you lose. There&#39;s that element of faith - It&#39;s probably kinda hard to understand it all if you don&#39;t have that faith to begin with. I grew up in a Christian home, and have always believed that Jesus died for me and that my way is with Him by my side, so it&#39;s hard for me to address questions like "how do you know who&#39;s right" because I have always believed what I believe. I have always felt that I&#39;m not betting my life - I truly believe that I&#39;m on the "winning team" if you will.

Mr Clean
03-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Sauron+Mar 5 2004, 05:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sauron @ Mar 5 2004, 05:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Mr Clean@Mar 2 2004, 12:40 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-JIMINATOR@Feb 27 2004, 11:18 PM
Who says you are born gay? Maybe it is a product of that person&#39;s environment.
Then Gay Animals must have a wrong environment too&#33; And yes there are animals that are gay&#33; [/b][/quote]
Animals are not a product of their enviroment? They don&#39;t learn from their parent(s) and their siblings? They are born knowing everything they know? I think you don&#39;t give enough credit to the animal kingdom.

The drive to procreate is one of the strongest instincts on this planet. It has to be in order for any given species to continue on. Being gay is completely contrary to that instinct. There are two possible explanations: It is something you are born with or it is something that is a reaction to your environment. Humans can learn to override instincts (being a soldier and obeying orders rather than fleeing in self-preservation in a heated battle is a good example of this). Not all learned behavior is a conscious decision either, many things we do are in response to something rooted in our subconscious.

It may even be both, some with one and some with the other. All I was doing was questioning the notion that someone is "born" with it. There is no proof of that after all...

Mr Clean
03-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by BobtheCkroach@Mar 4 2004, 11:46 PM
The key is quoting the New Testament, which should be the true guiding light to modern Christians.
I am not sure I agree with that. The Bible is supposed to be the word of God..all of it. One should be consistent in their thinking and their actions, including the use of the Bible. To ignore half of it is to ignore half of God&#39;s message. That is why I call so many of the Protestant sects "salad bar" Christians, because they pick and choose what they want and leave the rest behind.

BobtheCkroach
03-07-2004, 04:47 AM
I agree completely - I believe totally that the entire Bible is the word of God. However, the old Testament states that to get to Heaven you must sacrifice a cow, or sheep, or whatever on an altar with a Priest present to get forgiveness for your sins...obviously that&#39;s not the case anymore (in Christian belief, anyways) but God said it. I&#39;m saying that there is a timetable - some of teh rules established were rules of the time, not necessarily all-time. If you chose to follow them, that&#39;s fine. There&#39;s nothing wrong with that. I&#39;m just saying that you have to understand perspective - much of the Old Testament (and the New Testament, for that matter) were written with a specific group, act, or time in mind. For instance (this is a source of much controversy), Paul said in one of the New Testament books that women should be silent in service. If you look into it, however, he was not saying that women shouldn&#39;t worship, sing, share, etc. The church he was addressing was in total disarray and the people that could help it were men - he said women should be quiet to get those men in charge - not because women are not equal to men in the eyes of God. I realize that there will never be a concencus on what I&#39;m saying, but I feel I should at least share my view.