PDA

View Full Version : Anyone help please?

Static
03-02-2004, 12:19 PM
My computer has some serious issues...

my games will sometimes crash for no apparent reason with an error message saying either "such and such has encountered an unexperience error and must close" or "fatal error exception" or some such crap. My computer also sometimes resets itself when it feels like it.

Here are some screenshots of an error message i also get pretty much whenever i boot up my computer...

any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I have an athlon 2ghz, 512 ram, windows xp pro.

thanks!

Static
03-02-2004, 12:20 PM

Static
03-02-2004, 12:20 PM
:bawling:

OUTLAWS high ping camper
03-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Had you removed any programs prior to your getting those error messages?

Do you use ATI drivers for your vid card?:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318023

Sorry I couldn't give you more help....I gotta get ready for work!!! :)

Static
03-02-2004, 01:34 PM
I use Detonator drivers. Though i have tried completely removing them and using the updated NVIDIA drivers but still get the same problem :WTF:

OUTLAWS high ping camper
03-02-2004, 03:43 PM
OK, get crackin'......I think you fall under the 000000005 message.

edit: here is the url: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_...Q_20797005.html (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20797005.html)

Interpreting the Message
The four parameters listed in the message are defined in order of appearance as follows:

Processor exception code
0 (zero)
0 (zero)
0 (zero)
The first and most important parameter (0x0000000x) can have several different values. The cause of this error can vary, depending on the value of this parameter. All conditions that cause a Stop 0x7F can be found in any x86-based microprocessor reference manual because they are specific to the x86-based platform. Here are some of the most common exception codes:

0x00000000, or Divide by Zero Error, is caused when a DIV instruction is run and the divisor is 0. Memory corruption, other hardware problems, or software failures can cause this error.
0x00000004, or Overflow, occurs when the processor executes a call to an interrupt handler when the overflow (OF) flag is set.
0x00000005, or Bounds Check Fault, is generated when the processor, while executing a BOUND instruction, finds that a variable's assigned value exceeds the specified limits. A BOUND instruction is used to ensure that a signed array index is within a certain range.
0x00000006, or Invalid Opcode, is generated when the processor attempts to run an invalid instruction. This is generally caused when the instruction pointer has become corrupted and is pointing to the wrong location. The most common cause of this is hardware memory corruption.
0x00000008, or Double Fault, is when an exception occurs while trying to call the handler for a prior exception. Normally, the two exceptions can be handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. This is almost always caused by hardware problems.
Other exception codes are defined as follows:

0x00000001—A system-debugger call.
0x00000003—A debugger breakpoint.
0x00000007—A hardware coprocessor instruction with no coprocessor present.
0x0000000A—A corrupted Task State Segment.
0x0000000B—An access to a memory segment that was not present.
0x0000000C—An access to memory beyond the limits of a stack.
0x0000000D—An exception not covered by some other exception; a protection fault that pertains to access violations for applications.
Resolving the Problem
Hardware failure or incompatibility. Stop 0x7F usually occurs after the installation of faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or in the event that installed hardware fails. If hardware was recently added to the system, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer, especially the memory scanner, to determine which hardware component has failed. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer. Check that all the adapter cards in the computer, including memory modules, are properly seated. Use an ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment, available at electronics supply stores, to ensure adapter card contacts are clean. Be sure to wipe the cleaned contacts off, removing all cleaning debris, before reinstalling the adapter card into the computer. If compressed air is available, use it to clear out the adapter card slot.

JIMINATOR
03-02-2004, 04:13 PM
ok, i suspect most problems like this are heat related. open the case,
check to see the fans work, get some compressed air,
blow out the case, the fans the powersupply, fan on the cpu, fan on
the graphics card, etc.
if you want to test, grab the program i mentioned yesterday, prime95 @
http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v238.exe and see how long you can
run it (@ torture test mode) before it crashes.
if not long, then it definately is a heat/overclocking related issue.
if you have overclocked, then you need to turn back those settings.

Black Rose
03-02-2004, 05:05 PM
I had the same problem and got exactly the same messages.
It´s heat related like Jim already said.
Since I changed the fan and got a new cooler, all is working fine. :)

Good luck Static :)

Slice
03-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Sounds like your memory has a bad buffer region.