PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

BobtheCkroach
03-05-2004, 06:01 AM
Upcoming Movies (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808551129)

It's been officially announced that Peter Jackson plans on doing "The Hobbit"...

YEAH!!!!!!!

:thumbs: :jammin: :wootrock: :jammin: :thumbs: :wootrock: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Let the Nerd-gasms begin!!!

PS - I'm not joking, this has been officially announced.

Mr Clean
03-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by BobtheCkroach@Mar 5 2004, 12:01 AM
Upcoming Movies (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808551129)

It's been officially announced that Peter Jackson plans on doing "The Hobbit"...

YEAH!!!!!!!

:thumbs: :jammin: :wootrock: :jammin: :thumbs: :wootrock: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Let the Nerd-gasms begin!!!

PS - I'm not joking, this has been officially announced.
That is a great book too...I hope he makes it at the level of the LOTR movies

Herbus Maximus
03-06-2004, 12:43 AM
How could he not? :thumbs:
I can't wait to see how cool Smaug will look. :w00t:
I think The Hobbit was one of the first books that got me to like reading.
:hmmm:
Actually... I think it was the 3rd book.

I, Robot
2001 A Space Odyssey
The Hobbit

Burn the Witch
03-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Personally I liked "he Hobbit more than Lord of the Rings, which IMO dragged at the end.........

Hey, we should have some sort of mandatory reading list for nerds at GM :)

Athena
03-06-2004, 12:55 AM
hahaha i tried reading those books, but they are boring to me.... :blink: i have seen the 2nd 2 movies(haha but i was kinda dragged there by jiminator n my other cousins :unsure: )

Herbus Maximus
03-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Ok...first on my list of must reads would be the entire "Dune" series by Frank Herbert. Forget the movies..though the movies done by the Scifi channel were pretty close to the storyline but lacked the heart. Ya' just gotta' read the entire series to appreciate the genius of the author.

:online2long: BOOKS RULE! :online2long:

:oooo:
:lol:

Herbus Maximus
03-06-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Athena@Mar 5 2004, 05:55 PM
hahaha i tried reading those books, but they are boring to me.... :blink: i have seen the 2nd 2 movies(haha but i was kinda dragged there by jiminator n my other cousins :unsure: )

Some like to read...some just don't get into it.
I had to read a book in my 7th grade english class for a book report. I didn't like the idea of reading all those words at first but once the story got started...I got hooked for life.
I've got some 800+ books now in my library.
But....between family time and game time...I don't have the opportunity to devour as many books as I used to....I try to pace myself. :rolleyes:
Currently...I'm into the Wheel of Time novels by Robert Jordan

NightBreed
03-06-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Herbus Maximus@Mar 5 2004, 08:03 PM
:online2long: BOOKS RULE! :online2long:

:thumbs:

I've just finished the Clive Barker novels...... again... :cool:

"Imagica" , "Cabal", " Weaveworld" , etc..

Now there's some wild reading !! :wootrock: :wootrock:

Herbus Maximus
03-06-2004, 01:54 AM
You got that right!...I like his novels but he really shines with his short stories.
And he does some really nice art work too.
Steven King mentioned him once and that got me to try his stuff. I gotta' say... :jammin:
He has a gritty edge to his works thats I like.

Athena
03-06-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Herbus Maximus+Mar 5 2004, 08:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Herbus Maximus @ Mar 5 2004, 08:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Athena@Mar 5 2004, 05:55 PM

Some like to read...some just don&#39;t get into it.
I had to read a book in my 7th grade english class for a book report. I didn&#39;t like the idea of reading all those words at first but once the story got started...I got hooked for life.
I&#39;ve got some 800+ books now in my library.
But....between family time and game time...I don&#39;t have the opportunity to devour as many books as I used to....I try to pace myself. :rolleyes:
Currently...I&#39;m into the Wheel of Time novels by Robert Jordan [/b][/quote]
well, i love 2 read, just not books like that, i love mysteries n suspense books

Herbus Maximus
03-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Everyone likes different flavors to be sure.
I&#39;m pleased that you like to read though. It broadens your horizons and sharpens your intellect.
Good for you Athena&#33; :thumbs:

ForrestFunk
03-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Discworld Rules :wootrock: :lol:

long-island-ice-tea
03-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Lord of the Weed

C2H5OH Guy
03-06-2004, 02:02 PM
i hate books&#33; :down:

Herbus Maximus
03-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by ForrestFunk@Mar 6 2004, 05:27 AM
Discworld Rules :wootrock: :lol:
:hmmm:
Does that have to do with a flat world on the back of a flying space turtle?
That sounds awfuly familiar. :hmmm:

EdoG
03-07-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Herbus Maximus@Mar 5 2004, 09:03 PM
Ok...first on my list of must reads would be the entire "Dune" series by Frank Herbert. Forget the movies..though the movies done by the Scifi channel were pretty close to the storyline but lacked the heart. Ya&#39; just gotta&#39; read the entire series to appreciate the genius of the author.

:online2long: BOOKS RULE&#33; :online2long:

:oooo:
:oooo: :P

BobtheCkroach
03-07-2004, 04:40 AM
I&#39;m also a huge fan of reading - I loved The Hobbit and the entire LOTR series - I&#39;m not sure that I liked Hobbit mroe than LOTR, it&#39;s so much different it&#39;s hard to compare. LOTR is full of several, twisting, deep plots. While it&#39;s powerful, Hobbit is simple in nature, one straight storyline, but it&#39;s still good. Although it&#39;s horribly obvious that he stole from Tolkien (but how *can&#39;t* you in fantasy anymore), I highly recommend the Iron Tower trilogy by Dennis McKiernan, followed by The Silver Call duology, by the same author. If you like those, he has written several other books about Mithgar (the fantasy world he created). Highly entertaining. On the opposite end of the spectrum, my fav. author all time is John Grisham - I love his books. Go figure. Michael Crichton gets props too - his movies DO NOT do him credit&#33; Also, I&#39;m a huge fan of the Red Dragon trilogy (most would call it the Silence of the Lambs trilogy) by Harris.

Mr Clean
03-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Michael Crichton has written some great books - The Andromeda Strain, The Great Train Robbery, Jurassic Park....he also writes for the TV show ER

Tom Clancy - Gotta love his technical detail

Stephen King - Nuff said

Sir Author Conan Doyle - Read the complete Sherlock Holmes works...tremendous stuff

Clive Cussler -Raise the Titanic fame, his books tend to be the same but his story ideas are unique, a surprise end every time

If you are of a conservative nature, George Will is one of the best writers of our day :thumbs: