PDA

View Full Version : Do you suck at UT?

HAMMER
11-11-2002, 04:11 PM
I hear a lot of Sam guys talking about playing terribly at UT2003...

This engine is so far from being anything like Sammy that it's kinda ridiculous to judge yourself at this point. I came from UT to Sam, so I was already up to UT3003, as the movements and gamespeed are similar, but to go from Sam to this is tough to say the least. Don't be hard on yourself. Also, remember that there are about 150-200 people who play Serious Sam SE regularly vs. 200,000 people that play UT2003 worldwide. Needless to say, one can feel the burdon of a whole hell of a lot more talented player base than in Sam. I have been told on several occasions by many people here that I am one of the most accomplished UT2003 players here at GameMecca, but even given that fact, true or not, I win only 35-40 percent of maps that I play! I lose my balls quite often. Just last night I played with WHOCARES and a bunch of other guys in Instagib, which I usually do quite well in, and lost like 5 maps in a row before getting a 25-24 win! It's really weird too...I'll win 25-4 on a map with 19 other players, and then lose the next one 10-35 LOL! I just learned to go with the flow and realize that I am far from being ever mentioned with any of the worlds best.

There are SO MANY MORE players in this! Imagine your local city's football stadium...then imagine filling it 4-5 times over with players! That's a lotta folks!

Don't give up on it yet...play it for a while. Learn the engine. If it's any consolation, I play like a complete retard in Sam now LOL

Me(UK)
11-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Hey Hammer, nice too see you again

As you've said your abilities in SS and UT speak for themselves without question, I think what a lot of SS players need is someone to show them the ropes, i.e. I played the other day and there were players virtually running up the walls and across the ceilings, doing flips etc making them hard to catch, when you come up against this it gets a bit disheartening. :(

So maybe if at sometime you could make a private server for the SS players and show how it's done

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Hammer those were great games last might.
Like you said there are so mary talented players out there.
I play and win only if i am lucky 10-20% of the time. Yes it can become annoying butat the time time it is so much different than Sam.
I am suprised that I did as well as I did.
If it is OK with you Hammer I would like to post a few of the screen shots from last night just so more people can understand just how diffucult UT is.
I would be more than happy to hold a private session for GM members so we can all train and learn the ropes of this game.
Heck I see people doing flips and I have no idea how the do then.

Grimmy
11-11-2002, 05:08 PM
I think I know how to do the flips, but don't know if I am doing them. Hammer, do you know how to wall jump? I think that is what it is called. You go up on the wall a little and then bounce from it doing a flip. I think you can climb a wall that way.

Next time you play, let me know, I will play ya.

Sauron
11-11-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Nov 11 2002, 06:08 PM
I think I know how to do the flips, but don't know if I am doing them. Hammer, do you know how to wall jump? I think that is what it is called. You go up on the wall a little and then bounce from it doing a flip. I think you can climb a wall that way.

Next time you play, let me know, I will play ya.
just jump against the wall and dodge(two times a movement key) away from it for a walljump u also can combine it with another jump when reaching the highest point of ur jump just like the double jump

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 05:18 PM
So what you are saying Sauron is a double jump makes you flip automadically?

Sauron
11-11-2002, 05:19 PM
when u perform a double jump ur opponent will see ya doing a flip

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Sauron@Nov 11 2002, 12:19 PM
when u perform a double jump ur opponent will see ya doing a flip
Thank You.
I was wondering that.

Is it best to jump around in Instgib or to stay on the ground?

HAMMER
11-11-2002, 05:21 PM
Actually the flips are not a special move at all. They happen whenever you jump and your flight hits a wall. You do a flip and rebound off the wall. When you do a side jump, you flip automatically. So...to make a long story longer, you ARE ALREADY flipping as you are jumping and using your side movement.

If you wish to throw your opponent off with multiple flips making you harder to hit, then just try to jump off walls more often while you deathmatch. Keep in mind tho...this only throws off the noobs :) Veterans like Machine or myself tend to deal with jumpers fairly well.

I base my movements on the type of player I'm going against, but also keeping in mind the type of weapon they use:

Example: Rocket Launcher....of course you want to jump like your ass is on fire and use lateral movements as much as you can. Try to get in close and jump over their head. This really throws rocket monkeys off. I have my hardest time beating people who run right at me jumping like freaks, and I AM A ROCKET MONKEY, so I do it myself...since it works best on me :)

Against a Chaingun or similar repeating weapon: Jump like crazy, dodging to the left and right, and try to jump off walls to create the flip mentioned earlier. This throws off these types of weapons nicely.

Against timed weapons such as the lightning gun or plasma rifle: STAY ON THE GROUND! This also applies to Instagib most righteously, since jumping commits you to a movement. Jump movement is predictable. If you jump, I already know where you are going to hit. Guess what will be waiting for you when you land? So...rapid right, left, forward, back movements but show NO PATTERN at all. Move 2 feet left, 6 feet right, 10 feet left 1 foot right, 1foot right, 6 feet right, then 2 feet left...or something similar. The reason being; your opponents tracking will be all screwed up and his chances of timing a shot right where you'll be go WAY down. The better you are at this, the better a player you will be at ANY FPS, especially UT, since left and right reversals are actually quicker in this engine than in Sam. There is a slight delay to reversals in Sam, but virtually none in UT.

When I play I care about 1 thing and 1 thing only: MAKING YOU MISS. I want you to miss me. I could care freakin' less where my shots are going. I don't even think about it. I think solely about where your next shot is going to go. Aim for me is natural, and I think it is for everybody. I don't have to think about it. My reflexes keep the reticle right on you whether I think about it or not. So, although my accuracy might not be amazing, I can win because you cannot hit me. So what if it takes me 6 rockets to kill you! You die anyway :)

Another thing to think about is a general rule I like to use: Never shoot AT your target. Lead him. Even if he's standing still. Statistically speaking, you will win more hits this way. Always shoot to the left or right of your target. Because your greater chance of success mathematically speaking is based on the fact that if your target is trying to evade you, it's a foregone conclusion that he WON'T be where he is now when you take your shot. Except of course when you use instant damage weapons like the Lightning Gun or in Instagib matches. Then you want to try to stay right on your enemy.

If you folks would like to start a server or you want me to, that is fine, lemme know when, and I'll try to be there. Machine is an excellent source of information as well, as he is my equal in every aspect of the game.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Hammer,

Thank you for the Info.
I will be able to play tonight.
Also check out my thread in game times.

HAMMER
11-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Actually, I think Sauron's right...you have to double jump to do the flips. I didn't think about that. I always doublejump anyway, so I didn't think about it LOL

Sacrifice
11-11-2002, 05:42 PM
i suck a lot at ut

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Here is a request.
What are everyones setting for the game as far as controls go.
What is your mouse speed?
Keyboard locations etc etc.
This may help some people out.

Sauron
11-11-2002, 05:45 PM
i play same controls like sam just with the difference that i jump on space instead of RMB

HAMMER
11-11-2002, 05:48 PM
I have a hard head when it comes to controls :) I still use the same control setup I used in the original Wolfenstein, and all the way up through every game since then :)

I use the directional keys for forward, reverse, strafe left and strafe right.
I use Ctrl for my beloved Rocket Launcher, and Right Shift for Flak cannon.
Keypad 0 is my Laser gun dealy (the green rapid shooting balls?")
Enter is crouch. / is Plasma Rifle.
My mouse speed...I have no idea :) I do like it fast tho...so it's probably up a bit from default. I'll have to look later.
Middle mouse is secondary fire, left is primary fire, right is jump.

Hope that helps.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 05:51 PM
it does help.
me i have arrows as you do
Right control is jump
right shift is crouch.
Mouse speed is set at 6 or so
I use the middle mouse as rocket
mouse whell up and down for the rest

Sauron
11-11-2002, 05:58 PM
ok wasd for controls

e is Flak
r is rocket
f is superweapon
q is link
x is shock
Space is jump

mouse sensitivity is not sure right now still testing :)

Snip3r
11-11-2002, 06:18 PM
Why do I have the sudden urge to play UT now? BTW my controls are the same as WHO's :)

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 06:20 PM
snip will you be around later today?

Grimmy
11-11-2002, 07:20 PM
I posted some commands for UT, in another thread. I have a FAQ doc that has a lot of info, about adrenaline and the different things that you can do with it. It talks a bit about double jumping and dodging. Let me know if you want it, and I can post it for yas.

FUS1ON
11-11-2002, 07:30 PM
This thread has peaked my interest in UT2K3 again, Good Stuff!
Thanks Hammer for starting it! http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/thumb.gif

Mr Clean
11-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Thanks Hammer for starting it!

Does this mean your romance with Hammer is back on? :P

FUS1ON
11-11-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr Clean@Nov 11 2002, 01:33 PM

Thanks Hammer for starting it!

Does this mean your romance with Hammer is back on? :P
Try to stay on-topic Mr. Mod :P

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Nov 11 2002, 02:20 PM
I posted some commands for UT, in another thread. I have a FAQ doc that has a lot of info, about adrenaline and the different things that you can do with it. It talks a bit about double jumping and dodging. Let me know if you want it, and I can post it for yas.
Post it grimmy.
It will help a buncj of people.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 08:11 PM
we are putting together a game for us sorry players.
If you want in click the

LINK (http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=25&t=2901&)</p>

OUTLAWS Spike
11-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Thanks Hammer. Sauron, and everybody else for the tips.
Whocares I will try to make the game tonight. :D

Slice
11-11-2002, 09:23 PM
Thanks Hammer, but I am pretty sure I just suck. :lol:

Sacrifice
11-11-2002, 09:48 PM
hmmm do u think ut2004 is gonna come out?

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS &#036;pike@Nov 11 2002, 04:04 PM
Thanks Hammer. Sauron, and everybody else for the tips.
Whocares I will try to make the game tonight. :D
Spike actually it&#39;s tomorrow night.

OUTLAWS Spike
11-11-2002, 11:50 PM
OK :D

Sacrifice
11-11-2002, 11:51 PM
bleh

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Sacrifice@Nov 11 2002, 06:51 PM
bleh
bleh?

Do you wanna play tonight sac?

OUTLAWS Spike
11-11-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by WHOCARES+Nov 11 2002, 05:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WHOCARES @ Nov 11 2002, 05:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Sacrifice@Nov 11 2002, 06:51 PM
bleh
bleh?

Do you wanna play tonight sac?[/b][/quote]
Sure in about a hour. :D

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2002, 11:55 PM
8pm detroit server.
some instgib action
i will most likely be there.

OUTLAWS Spike
11-11-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by WHOCARES@Nov 11 2002, 05:55 PM
8pm detroit server.
some instgib action
i will most likely be there.
Ok. if I&#39;m done sooner we can start earlier :D

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-11-2002, 11:58 PM
Post in Game Times. I will try to be there too.

OUTLAWS Spike
11-11-2002, 11:59 PM
ok

Grimmy
11-12-2002, 12:43 AM
I will be in any games that are being hosted wednesday-friday, for I will be on first shift those days. I got some schooling to go to, and then stay over a couple hours on my shift. I can&#39;t wait, can&#39;t you tell I am so enthused to get up early, like before the sun rises and go to work. YUK E&#33;

OUTLAWS Spike
11-12-2002, 12:59 AM
were playing at 8 est. tonight. anybody else?

Red[GummiBear]
11-13-2002, 06:56 PM
hey great thread, as for my controls, i probly shouldnt be posting these since they are top secret and i would have to kill ya but here goes.

mouse sensitivity: about 6.5 pn my optical mouse, also very high in windows, in ut i barely move the mouse and i do complete 360s, thats the way i like it, the less movement the better

R: jump
D: strafe left
F: back
G: strafe right

Right mouse : run
left mouse: primary fire
scroll button (pressed in): alt fire
scroll up: next weapon
Scroll down: last weapon

space: crouch
T: talk
A: tranny

and also various other weapon and voice bonds, these are the basics

:ph34r:

Grimmy
11-13-2002, 09:34 PM
how do you do the taunts, there is some bitch one, and one that is like kiss my ass, and all of those. I hear people doing that all the time, but I don&#39;t know how to.

Sauron
11-13-2002, 10:21 PM
open the voice menu by hitting v and the choos taunts from menu and enter the number of the taunt u wanna use there are several pages of taunts

Free Styler
11-13-2002, 10:29 PM
I will say that this was interesting .I will had something that hammer started saying.The thing about doing some unpredictable movements is a great idea.Left right and so on.But i think doing the same thing but doing your movement based on predicting your opponents movements instead of randomizing is a good way to not get hit also.Over my short time playing sam i have learnded to put myself in my opponents mind depending on his skills.If i know he is good i will probably guest what he will try and do refering to my personal experience and own doing.My movements also depend on the timing of the shots.IT&#39;s like guessing when he will shoot not as a matter of where. If you get out of the way at the pint point second he shoots he will miss,beileive me.This is a aspect that applies itself to every FPS game i would have to guest.But considering this tread is about utk3 and loads of players are playing it&#39;s hard to know who is good and who is not.So the way to do it i would think is to randomize at first and then doing this analyse your opponent and switche to predicting mod depending on his skills.Not haven&#39;t played much myself i probably dont have the full hang of it yet.But that is my goal to reach like i had set myself at sam when i first started.And also while i&#39;m at it.I have notice that shooting in weird angles is a other aspect to getting more kills.If your shooting when your gun is way down at a left angle...well your opponent need to put his gun way up at a right angle.The angle itself being hard to get your opponent will take more time to adjust if he does in the first place depending if he is a newb or not giving a advantange on time on killing him. So over all my thoughts are 1 Trying to move guessing When your opponent will shoot also appliying itself to where.2 Getting some wacko angles in there helps to.So once that is done it all comes back to outwiting your opponent anyway possible.