PDA

View Full Version : Real men don't use power-ups

Skeet
03-14-2004, 06:15 PM
I haven't been on much lately. Spending more and more time on Unreal Tournament 2003. One attraction of UT over SSSE is that no one seems to get their panties in a bunch over whether you do, or don't, use power-ups (aka pups).

I just don't get it. I happen to like SSSE just as designed. When someone gets their feelings hurt over use of power-ups, I just pull the plug and go do something else. I think it's killing the game.

goblinwarrior2004
03-14-2004, 06:16 PM
power ups suck

EdoG
03-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Why did the CroTeam people put them in the maps..... :hmmm:

EXEcution
03-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Pups give other players too much of an advantage and usually when someone gets a pup they spam, tripling their chances to get a kill, making it unfair for the other players.

NightBreed
03-14-2004, 07:50 PM
I've always felt that the power-ups were part of the game and could be used as such; part of the game...

The problem starts when certain players hog the pups and camp until they re-appear.. That's what gets everyone else PO'd..

Myself, I love to hunt down the pup-whores.. I've tweaked my settings so I can see the shadows of the invis players.. And the smurfs only last so long, just stay back for 10-15 seconds and then BLAM !! :w00t: :thumbs:

Nice to see ya Skeet.. :wave: I miss the "Tombstone" :(

DiTomasso
03-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by NightBreed@Mar 14 2004, 07:50 PM
I've always felt that the power-ups were part of the game and could be used as such; part of the game...

The problem starts when certain players hog the pups and camp until they re-appear.. That's what gets everyone else PO'd..

Myself, I love to hunt down the pup-whores.. I've tweaked my settings so I can see the shadows of the invis players.. And the smurfs only last so long, just stay back for 10-15 seconds and then BLAM !! :w00t: :thumbs:

Nice to see ya Skeet.. :wave: I miss the "Tombstone" :(
:thumbs: :wave:

Pure_Evil
03-14-2004, 10:51 PM
it's nice to see this topic make it's quarterly appearence in the SSSE section :thumbs:

I say we follow it with a Rocket Whore thread :wootrock:

Then a camper thread :jammin:

Last but not least a grenade spammig thread :P

oops, I almost forgot the good ole Cannon Whore post :woohoo:

;) :drink: :wave:

Die Hard
03-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Amen.

But you know Pure, you were once a n00b too. Let these guys go through
exactly what you and I both went through. Maybe then, they won't think
that people at GM are know-it-all's :thumbs:

Speedsweeper
03-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by .:EXEcution:.@Mar 14 2004, 07:14 PM
Pups give other players too much of an advantage and usually when someone gets a pup they spam, tripling their chances to get a kill, making it unfair for the other players.
Agreed.

JIMINATOR
03-15-2004, 12:32 AM
:bandhead: if you need them, use them, if you are p/o'd, use them, if you
get respawn fragged 10 times in a row, use them. they are there,
that's it. like pure says, the bitching gets old. if there are good players in
the game, and they choose not to use the pups, then i will also out of
mutual respect, but there are no rules. besides, i like killing the glowing man.

Nitro
03-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Maybe Croteam will get their act together and not put powerups in the maps

Goober
03-15-2004, 01:19 AM
Sometimes, if I am in yodeller and it's all players I know and Santa happens to give up a invulnerable I will take it, and because I don't really care for the color blue I will hop on the roof and pick off the serious damage so I can run around pink and scare the crap out of verybody.
I'm with the other members on pup's, if you need em, use em....get real greedy with them and I will camp nearby just so I can frag ya just when ya start glowing.
I have lost enough and won enough games to know that I don't have to prove anything. Sometimes I will spend the whole game going after a camper just for fun. My deaths will outnumber my kills in those games but I have a blast doing it.

EXEcution
03-15-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by nitrostatic@Mar 14 2004, 08:34 PM
its not really their fault, Pups are a must in Sp game.

Asian Invasian
03-15-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by .:EXEcution:.+Mar 14 2004, 06:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (.:EXEcution:. @ Mar 14 2004, 06:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nitrostatic@Mar 14 2004, 08:34 PM
its not really their fault, Pups are a must in Sp game. [/b][/quote]
yes true
i agree with most posts here they do suck but bitching is somthing you have to do if say you have a perfect and are doing good but a person comes in red or blue and ruins it then w/e but if the persome uses it say once well wwhats the problem i may use invisi. from time to time only to get weapons and some health but i usually am fair about it sometimes il not shoot anyone and wait till its gone to start fragging :)
in a way i was very hipocritical i just noticed that :P

EdoG
03-15-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@Mar 14 2004, 06:51 PM
it&#39;s nice to see this topic make it&#39;s quarterly appearence in the SSSE section :thumbs:

I say we follow it with a Rocket Whore thread :wootrock:

Then a camper thread :jammin:

Last but not least a grenade spammig thread :P

oops, I almost forgot the good ole Cannon Whore post :woohoo:

;) :drink: :wave:
ROCKET WHORE :P
CANNON WHORE :P
PUY BOY :P
SPAMER :P
CAMPER
:rofl:
Ive been called all of these :oooo: :thumbs:

FASTway
03-15-2004, 03:51 AM
The servers are already set on "serious" difficulty which gives the weapons ridiculous hit damage. So what is the point of SD?

If you play on a "normal" server the SD makes much more sense because it is very hard to kill a good player because he will just leave the battle and grab health and armor if he is low. With the speed you get from a knife it is easy to flee.

The power up should at least be dropped by the player when he gets killed so someone else can pick it up. That is a feature in Quake and I think it works quite well.

But Yodeller is fun with the random power up you get from Santa. I always hope for "serious speed". Its a lot of fun flying around with the shotgun. And like Goober said if I get the blue one it is fun just to chase people around and scare them or else just use the time to stock up on health and armor and ammo.

If you insist on using the SD and the Invis all the time you will probably find that most people will just leave the server right after they trash talk the hell out you. If that is a problem for you Skeet well I&#39;m glad you have UT2003 where everything is so much better. :rolleyes: :wave:

Sauron
03-15-2004, 04:05 AM
That topic is getting old&#33;
Play the way you have fun&#33; If anyone doesn&#39;t like it he can always leave the game ... oh wait that causes the "omg he left because he lost" threads :P

Oh well you guys always seem to forget that the game is primary made to have FUN playing it&#33; If having fun means to use pups then use em if you think powerups ruin the game then either leave if someone takes em or ask at the start of a match if all agree not to use em (since Sam unfortunately has no feature to turn em off and custom maps are not really supported)

Comment to Fastways last paragraph : Those guys are the real loosers in the game not the ones that take pups&#33;

FUS1ON
03-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Same thing I said HERE (http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28898&st=20&#entry494005) applies to this thread.

Pure_Evil
03-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Die Hard@Mar 14 2004, 06:32 PM
Amen.

But you know Pure, you were once a n00b too. Let these guys go through
exactly what you and I both went through. Maybe then, they won&#39;t think
that people at GM are know-it-all&#39;s :thumbs:
:rofl: DH, you rule&#33; :thumbs:

But I don&#39;t think you&#39;ve ever seen me play :shifty: I&#39;m a noob, will always be a SSSE Noob if I ever pick up a Shotty or Rocket launcher again :P

But if I do return, I vow to be the biggest pup whore since Chaotic :w00t: :drink: :wave: :jammin:

Black Rose
03-15-2004, 12:11 PM
:w00t: thanks god I am a woman :P :devil: :angel: :oooo:

Asian Invasian
03-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Black Rose@Mar 15 2004, 05:11 AM
*makes new topic calles real women dont use power ups* :P

DiTomasso
03-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Goober@Mar 15 2004, 01:19 AM
Sometimes, if I am in yodeller and it&#39;s all players I know and Santa happens to give up a invulnerable I will take it, and because I don&#39;t really care for the color blue I will hop on the roof and pick off the serious damage so I can run around pink and scare the crap out of verybody.
I&#39;m with the other members on pup&#39;s, if you need em, use em....get real greedy with them and I will camp nearby just so I can frag ya just when ya start glowing.
I have lost enough and won enough games to know that I don&#39;t have to prove anything. Sometimes I will spend the whole game going after a camper just for fun. My deaths will outnumber my kills in those games but I have a blast doing it.
Yeah :jammin: :jammin:

Burn the Witch
03-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Why do powerups make it unfair? Surely they are just something you can use to your advantage, in UT2k3 we all camp the hell out of the powerups, because it makes you harder to kill, or it makes your attempts to kill easier. They are in the game for a reason. Timing powerups right adds another level to the game, hell in UT you should aim to work all your play around control of the S/SS/DD.

Power ups are in all games. If its in the game and someone decides to use them, respect them other than whining like a spoilt bunch of 12 year olds.

Sam isn&#39;t dead because people use powerups, Sam online is dead because of the terrible netcode, and a small, elitist percentage of the community tried to impress some ridiculous code of honour onto whats is an average online shooter and drove everyone else away. No one wants to play a game where everyone is whining at you. Do you know those people?

BOA
03-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Black Rose@Mar 15 2004, 02:11 PM
You cant blame god for that. :oooo: :angel: