PDA

View Full Version : CPUs and MOBOs

BobtheCkroach
03-26-2004, 04:19 AM
I'm not very good at some of this stuff yet...I'm a software guy, afterall...

If my mobo only supports 400 mhz fsb, can i drop a cpu into it that will do faster than that? Will it ruin one or the other if I do? For instance, if I drop a P4 w/ 533 MHz capability into it a mobo that only supports 400 mhz, will the P4 run at 400 mhz just fine, or will it overwork the mobo and ruin it? Will there be any performance issues if I do this?

PJ tells me that you're super smart about Hardware, Jim, so If you wanna let me know, I'd be very appreciative. ;)

JIMINATOR
03-26-2004, 05:18 AM
ummm, you can put it in, but i can't guarantee it would work. it won't
ruin the board though. if it boots it's good, if it doesn't boot...
for an upgrade like that, you want to look at the current cpu and get a
similar model. besides, it sounds like the board is more advanced,
ie i think the typical settings are:
400 mhz board = 2 * 200 memory
533 pentium = 4 * 133 memory
but i may be wrong...

BobtheCkroach
03-26-2004, 05:39 AM
You've lost me...lol...

PJ'l_Master
03-26-2004, 06:48 PM
i dont think it will work b/c i have never heard if processors being backward compatible as far as their FSB is concerned.\

dont the sockets have to be the same too JIM?

JIMINATOR
03-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by PJ'l_Master@Mar 26 2004, 01:48 PM
i dont think it will work b/c i have never heard if processors being backward compatible as far as their FSB is concerned.\

dont the sockets have to be the same too JIM?
sockets? lol, it won't plug in if they are not and forcing it... is not advised.

brings to mind the old days when I had to use a razor blade to straighten some
pins, they are much smaller now.

won't hurt to try it. although with the board name & type, docs should be available
that specify what cpus they support. many boards can support newer cpus with a bios flash...

BobtheCkroach
03-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Thank you, PJ. What was I thinking? I was gonna just jam the CPU into my board. Thank goodness you spoke up! Wow, I never even thought to consider Socket Type!

LOL. They are the same socket, even though one is a higher fsb. Doesn't matter...I've decided to buy a new board and cpu, so compatability is no longer an issue.

Slice
03-27-2004, 04:20 PM
It will work.