PDA

View Full Version : peer to peer vs. client server

Justncredible
11-13-2002, 06:53 PM
is peer to peer what UT and battlefield 1942, and jedi knight II use????? if so forget being able to aim and shoot and watch them gib out,,,,,, can anyone say "lead" the shots??????? I am not sure about this so please tell me I'm wrong, they are gonna ruin the game,,,,, damn croats.......... :angry:

Sauron
11-13-2002, 08:03 PM
isnt peer to peer what Sam uses at the moment??????

and i think server client is much better than peer to peer

Sirc
11-13-2002, 08:15 PM
Heh, I thought Whocares had it backwards too, but I wasn't sure so I didn't say anything.

BTW, isn't the "leading shots" deal part of the game physics in UT? I though it was meant to be like that. Otherwise the amount you would need to lead would depend on the lag, wouldn't it? That would suck. You'd never know where to aim.

Sauron
11-13-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 13 2002, 09:15 PM
Heh, I thought Whocares had it backwards too, but I wasn't sure so I didn't say anything.

BTW, isn't the "leading shots" deal part of the game physics in UT? I though it was meant to be like that. Otherwise the amount you would need to lead would depend on the lag, wouldn't it? That would suck. You'd never know where to aim.
yes u have to lead shots in UT and its not that bad even with lag IMO

u get used to it very fast

Justncredible
11-13-2002, 08:21 PM
when I fire the mingun in UT 2003 I have to spray an area, it is peer to peer, on SS SE I use the minigun and hit dead on, bullets should travel really fast and you should not have to lead a shot with a gun, same with jedi knight you have to spray to hit anything, with sam I can pistol a person on the other side of map by aiming dead nuts on your,,,I mean,, on there sorry asses.... :D

Sirc
11-13-2002, 08:22 PM
Actually you have to lead shots in SS with some of the weapons too. I think the rocket launcher is the most obvious (and hardest) one. No, on second thought, the grenade launcher is the hardest. Its way cool when you take out someone on the move from a distance with one shot. Very hard, but very rewarding. B)

Justncredible
11-13-2002, 08:26 PM
those are slower fireing weapons, they are ment to travel slow,,,,,, but jumping past a rocket is stupid,,,, anyway I grabbed this from the croats site,,,, I was wrong........it happens....

Good news: we switched from peer-to-peer networking to full server-client. This means that sync bads are a thing of the past

Sirc
11-13-2002, 08:31 PM
That's true. The minigun should be an aim and shoot weapon. I'm not too familiar with UT, I only played the demo a few times in Bombing Run, and the map was so small that you rarely had to lead any shot.

So in UT, can you see where the bullets are striking so you know how to correct the lead?

Grimmy
11-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 13 2002, 03:22 PM
Actually you have to lead shots in SS with some of the weapons too. I think the rocket launcher is the most obvious (and hardest) one. No, on second thought, the grenade launcher is the hardest. Its way cool when you take out someone on the move from a distance with one shot. Very hard, but very rewarding. B)
You should be a pro at it you gernade spammer! :P

Sauron
11-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 13 2002, 09:31 PM
That's true. The minigun should be an aim and shoot weapon. I'm not too familiar with UT, I only played the demo a few times in Bombing Run, and the map was so small that you rarely had to lead any shot.

So in UT, can you see where the bullets are striking so you know how to correct the lead?
yes u can see where u shoot with minigun and u rarely have to lead with the minigun

Sirc
11-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy+Nov 13 2002, 04:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grimmy @ Nov 13 2002, 04:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 13 2002, 03:22 PM
Actually you have to lead shots in SS with some of the weapons too. &nbsp;I think the rocket launcher is the most obvious (and hardest) one. &nbsp;No, on second thought, the grenade launcher is the hardest. &nbsp;Its way cool when you take out someone on the move from a distance with one shot. &nbsp;Very hard, but very rewarding. &nbsp; B)
You should be a pro at it you gernade spammer&#33; :P[/b][/quote]
I do spam grenades on occasion. Its fun to watch everyone blow up at the same time&#33; :P

If I spawn at the launcher in the Hole I will pump 5 grenades down into the ramp and shotgun areas, and then run away. If I&#39;m in the shotgun area and I only have the grenade launcher than I&#39;ll get a carpet laid down to protect myself until the shotty respawns.

And in LT, well, sometimes the urge to spam grenades into the DB shotty area is just to much to resist. That&#39;s the most fun, especially when there are 3 or 4 people jumping around down there. I&#39;ve noticed though that if you lay a carpet of grenades down in that situation they all tend to explode at once and no matter how many people get gibbed, you only get one kill added to your count most ofthe time. That kinda sucks.

There, I admit it. I&#39;m a spammer&#33; And I like it&#33; :P :P :P

Morpheus
11-14-2002, 12:49 AM
I believe this

Peer-to-Peer makes it so each person in the game sends information to each person, and the server, to that each game knows where players are, etc. With peer-to-peer, if one cmputer has dialup, it might get behind in sending information to the computers, and then you get a bad sync, meaning the f9ed player&#39;s computer didn&#39;t know where alot of the players were most of the time.

Server-client means each computer sends information to the server, which in turn sends it to each of the players. that way, the server does all of the syncs, making each one at the same time so there would, in reality, be no more f9&#39;s.

IMHO, i would think peer-2-peer would be faster as long as all of the computers have good up doawn connecitons, but with sam, where more people use dialup, server-client would fix ALOT of the f9 problem.

all this from a 12 year old :blink:

Grimmy
11-14-2002, 12:52 AM
I think someone should just buy me a T3 connection and be done with it lol or install a huge ass LAN across country hehe

Sirc
11-14-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Fire Slayer DOA@Nov 13 2002, 07:49 PM
I believe this

Peer-to-Peer makes it so each person in the game sends information to each person, and the server, to that each game knows where players are, etc. With peer-to-peer, if one cmputer has dialup, it might get behind in sending information to the computers, and then you get a bad sync, meaning the f9ed player&#39;s computer didn&#39;t know where alot of the players were most of the time.

Server-client means each computer sends information to the server, which in turn sends it to each of the players. that way, the server does all of the syncs, making each one at the same time so there would, in reality, be no more f9&#39;s.

IMHO, i would think peer-2-peer would be faster as long as all of the computers have good up doawn connecitons, but with sam, where more people use dialup, server-client would fix ALOT of the f9 problem.

That was very impressive. Even if you made all of that up, it would STILL very impressive. :D

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-14-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Fire Slayer DOA@Nov 13 2002, 05:49 PM
I believe this

Well said.........you should speak up more often. Thank you for enlightening me/us. ;)
Never underestimate a twelve year old&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :)

Slice
11-14-2002, 06:17 PM
The other thing that I think we tend to forget is how easy it is to kill a person in Sam, when comparing with UT. You can take multiple rocket blasts in UT. In sam, even one rocket exploding next to you on the wall or floor and you&#39;re history. The 2 games really are not comparable. The style of play, the movements, weapons all completely different. The only similarity is FPS.