PDA

View Full Version : Powerups Powerups Powerups

Buckshot
11-18-2002, 02:56 PM
gg's

From my experience powerups are part of the game, if you dont get it when you see it, someone else will (i hope ss3 has a "no powerup" option),i dont always get every powerup, i just get it when i see it... if i remeber correctly, your weapon if choice was the grenade launcher for that game Buck

--------------------
<< :: + MERC + :: >> Dangerous Dan +[HC]+

My use of the grenade launcher is directly related to the use of powerups , I am so
sick of playing with guys who are great players but need to use powerups to win ,
( WHY ) I hear nothing but complaining about guys camping and spamming grenades
and rockets, only it&#39;s from the same guys who always run to the powerups for help , then
claim it&#39;s ok because it&#39;s part of the game . Well if that’s the case then let’s just say
WELCOME LEON &#33;&#33;&#33; Because that’s part of the game also&#33; I still maintain the thought
That powerups are just another way to an easy win and you guys complaining , take a
look in the mirror before you cry about spamming, are you guys any better

PS I know that your not a complainer DD and this is not directed at you , it&#39;s a statement
that I felt needed to be posted .

Slash
11-18-2002, 03:00 PM
If you don&#39;t grab them someone else will.

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-18-2002, 05:03 PM
I grab every one I see because if I don&#39;t someone else will get it.

Grimmy
11-18-2002, 05:04 PM
me too, power ups rule B)

Sirc
11-18-2002, 10:06 PM
Power-up whores&#33; :P

Slice
11-18-2002, 10:12 PM
I always grab them too. As far as the grenade spamming goes, I actually don&#39;t even mind that anymore as I am usually able to avoid them these days. It actually challanges me more and makes me more alert. I also try to use the shotgun as much as possible now for kills, unless it is real laggy and my timing is off then I will switch to rockets. I recently have been playing on Yodeller and Little Trouble winning matches with nothing but the shotgun. It is a very effective long range weapon too. You could be on one end of the map and with 3 or 4 well aimed shots across the map, you get the kill. The nice thing is that the player doesn&#39;t know where you are while you are shooting them. I guess the way I look at it is all items are in the game for everyone&#39;s taking. If you choose not to use a particular weapon or power up or health or armor then it is fair game. If you challenge a good player who is using the shotgun, with the rocket launcher most likely you will lose. The rocket gets fragmented by the shotgun blast and blows up in your face. There are a lot of different techniques and style of play.

Sirc
11-18-2002, 10:22 PM
I was just kidding. If I can manage it I&#39;m invisible 75% of the time in the Hole. :D

Speaking of shotguns, I&#39;ve noticed that some people can take me out in one shot from a considerable distance, but for some reason I don&#39;t seem to be able to manage that. Even when I know I&#39;ve hit them dead center. Is there such a thing as a head shot in SS? I haven&#39;t seen that it really make any difference. I guess my aim just sucks. Some people really amaze me by how deadly accurate they are with the shotgun. Tip is one of them. I rarely ever win in a battle with him. :rolleyes:

Slice
11-18-2002, 11:23 PM
Well if I told you my secret then it wouldn&#39;t be a secret anymore. :) If you encounter a good player in a match just hit that little old F7 key and record the match. Then you can go back and check how they did it. :wink: (btw I am using wink, because the smilie we have for it blows chunks)

Sirc
11-18-2002, 11:28 PM
Now before I go to all that trouble at least tell me if there is a secret or if my aim just sucks. Don&#39;t toy with me Slice&#33; :D

Slice
11-18-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 18 2002, 06:28 PM
Now before I go to all that trouble at least tell me if there is a secret or if my aim just sucks. Don&#39;t toy with me Slice&#33; :D
Well your aim sucks :P but there is some strategy behind the one shot kills with the shotgun.

Hobbes
11-19-2002, 12:09 AM
Its all about the crotch shots.

Troop
11-19-2002, 12:53 AM
I avoid the SD because you become an easy target and everyone seems to go after you more tenaciously. I find it bothersome when you have a 2-3 players in a match and they go after the powerups. But when there are a lot of players in a server, you have to expect someone to use them. Hell, you can nail a lot of people by anticipating someone going for them.

As far as the grenade launcher is concerned, I&#39;ve been accused of spamming. But as Buckshot can attest, I don&#39;t spam with them. Most of my kills with the grenades are direct hits. You can throw that grenade clear across the room with the timing of the fire button. And besides, with a room full of players, sometimes it is the only weapon you have in hand.

I&#39;ve tried to use the shotty more and more. But the fact is, I have a fraction of a second delay when I play. So by the time I think I have the timing right, he&#39;s taken off or I&#39;ve been killed. I usually have to swing the knife way before a player is even close to me. Many a times, I have confronted players right in front of me and I hear the moan of him dying &#39;cause I&#39;ve reacted first and then all of a sudden it&#39;s me kissing the ground. I don&#39;t know if this is unique to me or if others have experienced it. But it happens all the time with me. Oh, and I hate that respawn glitch where you&#39;ve fragged someone and they respawn (mysteriously coming back to life).

I know that I am at a disadvantage. I&#39;ve seen players jump from the ground to the catwalks in Little Trouble without the use of the ramps. I&#39;ve seen players outrun me even though I am not carrying a weapon. I&#39;ve seen players take off from me with the shotty even though I&#39;m running with the knife. I&#39;ve gotten so used to it that I don&#39;t bother getting frustrated anymore. I know that I drop like paper on the first hit from the shotty even with full health against some players but when I do it, I need to nail them 3-4 times before they go down.

I know that I seem like a pushover in the games but I know my ability and skill. My computer is not up to par with some of the great players in Sam as the Machine can attest, but I feel that I am still competitive. In the end, that&#39;s all that matters.

Sirc
11-19-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Slice+Nov 18 2002, 06:57 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Slice @ Nov 18 2002, 06:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 18 2002, 06:28 PM
Now before I go to all that trouble at least tell me if there is a secret or if my aim just sucks. &nbsp;Don&#39;t toy with me Slice&#33; &nbsp; :D
Well your aim sucks :P but there is some strategy behind the one shot kills with the shotgun.[/b][/quote]
Find a player with 5 health? :rolleyes:

Come on Slice&#33; A little help here. Do you pack your shells with a little extra powder?

Its up to the better players to help out the rest. SALvation has wriiten some good playing tips write-ups. (Come to think of it I should go over to Seriously and get them to post here. They aren&#39;t necessarily for advanced players, but the stuff he wrote can really help a newer to intermediate player. Hammer has written a few good things over there too.)

Sirc
11-19-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Troop@Nov 18 2002, 07:53 PM
I avoid the DH because you become an easy target and everyone seems to go after you more tenaciously.
What is DH? Are you talking about Serious Damage?

Troop
11-19-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc+Nov 18 2002, 08:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS Sirc @ Nov 18 2002, 08:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Troop@Nov 18 2002, 07:53 PM
I avoid the DH because you become an easy target and everyone seems to go after you more tenaciously.
What is DH? Are you talking about Serious Damage?[/b][/quote]
Woops, lol, yes Sir©&#33; :D

Let me change that.......

Slice
11-19-2002, 01:36 AM
I am sorry but the Mercs confided in me not to reveal the all mighty cheating tactics that they use. :P All I can say is, change your settings. Make your crosshair fixed.(This is a console setting) There are 3 other settings that I use but they will remain secret.

Sirc
11-19-2002, 01:48 AM
Are you talking about the weapons bobbing thing?

Sirc
11-19-2002, 01:51 AM
No, wait a minute. A console thing? Not an options thing?

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-19-2002, 01:54 AM
Yes Console thing.

Slice
11-19-2002, 01:54 AM
It has to be typed in, hint type hud then hit your tab key. You will see the list of hud commands. Then continue to press the tab key until the desired one appears then add an =1 to the end of the command and press enter. (man that was a pretty descriptive hint)

Sirc
11-19-2002, 02:00 AM
Yes, but I truly appreciate it. And I also didn&#39;t know about the tab thing. I&#39;ve been playing for a long time and have all but conceded to the fact that my skill level has peaked. Anything that will let me play even slightly better will breath new life into the game for me.

Slice
11-19-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 18 2002, 09:00 PM
Yes, but I truly appreciate it. And I also didn&#39;t know about the tab thing. I&#39;ve been playing for a long time and have all but conceded to the fact that my skill level has peaked. Anything that will let me play even slightly better will breath new life into the game for me.
Well maybe when I get high speed I will fill ya in on the rest of my secrets. :) If I give them to ya now, then you will kick my ass. (ya right) :P

Sirc
11-19-2002, 02:06 AM
LOL&#33; I hope that my skill isn&#39;t affected by mere settings THAT much. :D

Slice
11-19-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 18 2002, 09:06 PM
LOL&#33; I hope that my skill isn&#39;t affected by mere settings THAT much. :D
You would be surprized. :ph34r:

Sauron
11-19-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Slice@Nov 19 2002, 02:54 AM
It has to be typed in, hint type hud then hit your tab key. You will see the list of hud commands. Then continue to press the tab key until the desired one appears then add an =1 to the end of the command and press enter. (man that was a pretty descriptive hint)
to see all console commands that u can use in Sam open the shellsymbols.txt in ur serious sam /help folder

Sirc
11-19-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Slice+Nov 18 2002, 09:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Slice @ Nov 18 2002, 09:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 18 2002, 09:06 PM
LOL&#33; &nbsp;I hope that my skill isn&#39;t affected by mere settings THAT much. &nbsp; :D
You would be surprized. :ph34r:[/b][/quote]
Okay, I set my cursor to fixed, and I also made it half the size. Hopefully that will force me to aim better. I dunno, it seems to help, but I really need to get out on Yodeller and try it out on an open map, cause that&#39;s where I get nailed the most.

Was the cursor size another one? Will you tell me if I guess? :D

Sirc
11-19-2002, 03:30 AM
It sucks now cause my DSL connection is really bad tonight and I keep getting lag spikes at really bad times. Its hard to shoot someone that keeps disapearing and transporting on me. :rolleyes:

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-19-2002, 03:41 AM
Sirc did you have any lag spikes in the game we played?

Sirc
11-19-2002, 03:43 AM
I&#39;m having major lag spikes in EVERY game tonight. I just assumed it was my connection cause it has been bad anyway. Were you?

Slice
11-19-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc+Nov 18 2002, 10:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS Sirc @ Nov 18 2002, 10:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Slice@Nov 18 2002, 09:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--OUTLAWS Sirc@Nov 18 2002, 09:06 PM
LOL&#33; *I hope that my skill isn&#39;t affected by mere settings THAT much. * :D
You would be surprized. :ph34r:
Okay, I set my cursor to fixed, and I also made it half the size. Hopefully that will force me to aim better. I dunno, it seems to help, but I really need to get out on Yodeller and try it out on an open map, cause that&#39;s where I get nailed the most.

Was the cursor size another one? Will you tell me if I guess? :D[/b][/quote]
No. :P

FASTway
11-19-2002, 04:28 AM
I just wish you could turn the damn powerups off.
I use em as well, but they are really cheap kills. No skill involved when using them.

Dangerous Dan
11-19-2002, 04:57 AM
games where ppl agree not to use powerups are always fun

Buckshot
11-19-2002, 05:05 PM
Hear, Hear &#33;&#33; turn them off or just agree to play without them .
I like that thinking &#33;&#33;

dvnobles
11-20-2002, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Troop@Nov 18 2002, 07:53 PM

Responding to Troop&#39;s message:

"I avoid the SD because you become an easy target and everyone seems to go after you more tenaciously."

My take on SD is it is part of the game, so use it. I figure if Fastway uses it, so will I. I agree...it sometimes causes more damage to you than it&#39;s worth though.

"... the grenade launcher is concerned, I&#39;ve been accused of spamming. But as Buckshot can attest, I don&#39;t spam with them"

I might spam a little when I run around a corner or something, but keep moving. The guys that stay in one place and spam....SUCK.

"Oh, and I hate that respawn glitch where you&#39;ve fragged someone and they respawn (mysteriously coming back to life)."

I think this actually occurs when you have a good amount of shield and I think the intent was to make it look like the guy is in the process of dying, but they only have one sound for someone dying so it seems like a glitch.

"I know that I am at a disadvantage. I&#39;ve seen players jump from the ground to the catwalks in Little Trouble without the use of the ramps."

WHAT???
:blink: I don&#39;t think you can do that, but I could be wrong...I&#39;ve never seen it. You should be able to jump from one catwalk to the other just after coming around the arch.

"I&#39;ve seen players outrun me even though I am not carrying a weapon. I&#39;ve seen players take off from me with the shotty even though I&#39;m running with the knife. "

Yes, that&#39;s a speed thing. There are players who just have more throughput on their speed...nothing we can do about it.

"I know that I seem like a pushover in the games but I know my ability and skill. "

As do most of us. I have seen you kick ass&#33; And it was usually mine&#33; :lol:
However, something happened over a period of time. What changed?
Make sure you don&#39;t have any apps running in the background (msn messenger will eat your bandwidth).

dvnobles
11-20-2002, 04:16 AM
Sirc...sorry. No more help for you. You don&#39;t NEED any help. :lol:

Slice
11-20-2002, 04:24 AM
Dan go in to the general forums and add some nice spamy answers to all the threads there&#33; They don&#39;t have to make to much sence. I am impressed though, now you have 10. :)

FASTway
11-20-2002, 04:34 AM
Hey DAN I AM...

Glad you came to visit

Pathos
11-20-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Troop@Nov 19 2002, 10:53 AM
I&#39;ve tried to use the shotty more and more. But the fact is, I have a fraction of a second delay when I play. So by the time I think I have the timing right, he&#39;s taken off or I&#39;ve been killed. I usually have to swing the knife way before a player is even close to me. Many a times, I have confronted players right in front of me and I hear the moan of him dying &#39;cause I&#39;ve reacted first and then all of a sudden it&#39;s me kissing the ground.
You make some decent points and i empathise in some ways.

I find myself both amused and (initially) surprised at all the "try using a shotgun" references i always get, and no doubt will continue to. I don&#39;t camp, i don&#39;t spam, but people seem to get amazingly uptight about this because i get 2 or 3 frags in a row over them with the rocket launcher. And heaven forfend should I go on to win with it&#33; That&#39;s just not on. [chuckle] What&#39;s frustrating though is those who complain then leave as a direct result. Must have happened a dozen times this past week.

Newsflash kiddies: You can&#39;t use a shotgun pinging 400. At least not against a player worth his salt. It&#39;s just not an option. So while the situation is as is i will continue to play virtually exclusively with the RL. In actual fact it&#39;s quite a challenge - as mentioned elsewhere in this topic - to get one over a decent player with a shotty without it blowing up in your face. I have become quite adept with it and will continue to try to improve.

Now what do most with a 400 ping who aren&#39;t named "Slice" do? Spam and camp. I never have, and never will. When i LAN it it&#39;s Shotty city. It&#39;s my fave weapon and have duly downloaded every Sean123 shotty specific map there is. While LANing I even run around making little shotgun shapes in the ground. I&#39;m getting all misty eyed just thinking about it. [absentmindedly reshapes mashed potatoes into Shotgun pose]

Regardless, my ping does not vindicate the use of the Rocket Launcher. Rather my point is it would be just as unfair of me to ask one to stop using a shotgun, just because they "kept killing me". Or to not pick up a powerup. None of which i will ever complain about because there is NOTHING wrong with that. And my remarks over my ping are a statement of fact, not a complaint as such. I can do nothing about it and love this game DESPITE it. I win despite it, i lose despite it.

As such, the last thing i care for is pre-pubescent girly-mans [tm] carrying on. Thus the next time you feel a whinge coming over someone wielding a RL, i suggest you try the following:

1. Check the players ping. Is it massive? Well then, it&#39;s probably Mr Pathos with an alias. Report him to Slash and proceed to point two. Should the ping read low, also head on down to that wacky two.
2. Learn to play against someone waving a rocket launcher at you. Dear lord has Pathos gone mad?&#33; This daft suggestion could tear at the very heart of our cognitive capacity.
3. Swear copiously, shut down the game and delete your hard drive, vowing never to play with such "cheating bastards" again. The gaming world will mourn. Oh.. wait. No it won&#39;t. Sorry, you&#39;re a twat.

Ok so it got nasty. Imagine my dismay. When you get down to it, i will simply continue to ignore the in-game rants (they aren&#39;t always directed at me of course or i wouldn&#39;t be ranting myself). It would just be nice to play the game within the rules and thus in peace. This is not meant for any one individual, and I won&#39;t "complain" over this again. Sorry if you read this far. It was.. all a dream. [chortle]

Goober
11-20-2002, 12:42 PM
Stop it Pathos....you&#39;re killing me.....fell out of my chair twice laughing so hard......Keep up the good work...hope to see you in a games soon.

Hobbes
11-20-2002, 01:22 PM
Haha, Pathos sometimes I get that a lot. Although I don&#39;t have a good excuse for whoring the rocket launcher, my ping is usually around 200-250 so the shotty is viable for me... I just like making things blow up.

A few days ago I was playing a couple of scrubs on little trouble and one of them started to get really fed up with my sweet rain of rocket death.
Him: "OMFG DO U KNOW WHAT A SHOTGUN IS?&#33;?&#33;"
Me: "hmm, do you mean that thing I use when I run out of rockets?" :rolleyes:

I don&#39;t know why people bother complaining, stopping to type just tends to get you killed again. Don&#39;t get angry people, just try to get even&#33;

Grimmy
11-20-2002, 04:50 PM
LMAO :lol: that is funny, you know what a shotty is, yea what I use when I run out of rockets LMAO :lol:

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-22-2002, 03:24 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I got directed towards it.
I just wanted to thank Pathos for his mashed potatoes comment.
It&#39;s helped me improve my game two fold.

Pathos, the things you type, just crack me up. I hope you have a job that allows you the opportunity to share your wit.
Guys like you, make reading posts, allot of fun. Thank you. :D