PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem

Saretta
11-21-2002, 06:39 PM
Heres my problem:

My computer crashed when I opened the IE.
I wanted to restart it - but when the scandisk screen came I got an error that said that I have a data error in my Fat on harddrive C and that scandisk cant repair further errors on C because of that.
It won't boot windows anymore! :(

I have windows 98 se on my comp.

Can anyone suggest what I could do? :unsure:

OUTLAWS Ada
11-21-2002, 06:57 PM
Oh no! Nothing to do with this virus being sent is it? :o

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Make a 98 boot disk on a floppy and boot to it. Select "start with CD Rom support". Put your Win98 disk in the CD ROM. Then if your CD ROM used to be your "E" drive it will temporarily be your "F" drive because it makes a temp RAM drive to load diagnostic tools into. Whatever your CD ROM drive was before it is just one letter higher. At the dos prompt switch to your CD ROM drive and then type SETUP. This will reinstall Windows ontop of itself and you should not loose anything. If your hard drive is having mechanical or surface problems this will not fix it, but if it is software related then most of the time this will fix it.

Saretta
11-21-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Ada@Nov 21 2002, 07:57 PM
Oh no! Nothing to do with this virus being sent is it? :o
I hope that it is not a virus. I got no email with attachment today and I was behind a firewall...

BIGGD01
11-22-2002, 11:50 PM
here try this--i dont know if i am late as i just saw this post.

if you are using win98/winme which i think it was mentioned.

bootup with startup disk
at the command prompt type c:\
now at the command prompt type scanreg /restore and choose a date where you have not had any problems. this ususally fixes this kind of problem.

if this does not work ck hd to see if damaged sectors are there.

bootup with startup disk
at the command prompt type scandisk c:\
after it does the quick scan choose the surface scan next and leave system for a good hour depending on speed and size of hd.

BIGGD01
11-22-2002, 11:53 PM
people a firewall will not protect you from a virus. use virus software to scan e-mail and such. i prefer nortons. you will not get a virus if it is sent to you and do not click on it. nortons will detect any file that is infected before you get the chance to click on it.

BIGGD01
11-23-2002, 06:36 PM
did it work????? hello????

Sauron
11-23-2002, 06:38 PM
srry we are not at home at the moment we will try that on sunday and tell u if it has worked and thx for ur help so far

Saretta
11-24-2002, 02:27 PM
Nothing works! Even formating doesnt work ....

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-24-2002, 03:04 PM
What is it doing?

Saretta
11-24-2002, 03:14 PM
Ok it doesnt boot. It always crashed when I wanna scan c:(with scandisk). It wont format c because i have "not enough" ram. I cant install windows over the old one because before it begins to install it scans all the partitions. I can scan E and F without errors. Checkdisk doesnt work. It says please try this with scandisk. I cant make a virus check because this damn program doesnt work.
For information I have two 40 GB HD's which are combined with raid and then I made four partitions.
RAM normally 512 MB.

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Raid 0 or 1?

So you can not even format your C drive?

Saretta
11-24-2002, 03:19 PM
not the mirror raid the other one

I cant format c because my comp says I have not enough ram to format

Casanova
11-24-2002, 03:20 PM
The Machine = comp freak :lol: :lol:

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-24-2002, 03:44 PM
Hmmm. you try switching your RAM with some out of Sauron's computer?

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-24-2002, 03:45 PM
Steve Teemu = Computer noob. :P

Saretta
11-24-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Nov 24 2002, 04:44 PM
Hmmm. you try switching your RAM with some out of Sauron's computer?
how?

btw my scandisk repairs my hd d. This had some problems too...

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-24-2002, 04:25 PM
Take your RAM out and put his in your computer. That is if they are the same type. Is there stuff ojn your computer that you can not lose? If noit maybe take one hard drive out and hook it to the IDE connector like a regular hard drive and try formatting it that way.

Saretta
11-24-2002, 04:34 PM
Hmm I could try that. Thanks for trying to help.

BIGGD01
11-24-2002, 04:56 PM
it has to be raid 1
ck your memory and see if it has gone bad
are you running raid as your boot drive?
if so, why?
if you are crashing during scandisk does your harddrives make weird noises.
sometimes it is much easier and quicker to do a clean install
start with fdisk
then type fdisk /mbr
then format c:\
then clean install

stop using raid unless you are running server or video editing. will slow you down rgardless if you have c drive on raid.

try uusing 256 MB of ram on windows 98 system. 98 realy blows handling memory. upgrade to win2000 or xp.

ck your bios settings to see if anything changed also maybe look for bios update.

pull ot you vga card and then reseat into agp slot.

clean all cpu and internal fans.

disconnect power supply atx m/b cable from motherboard and reseat it. you might want to ck power supply also if it is strong enough to run all in your machine.

please post specs on machine like motherboard, kind of ram and even the platform such as intel based or AMD.

Saretta
11-24-2002, 05:12 PM
how can I check if my memory has gone bad?
My hd doesnt make weird noises
I will try the fdisk thing after i finished to check my hd surface
my c is on raid, i have it because they installed it that way when i bought it and i dont know how to change it back
my bios settings are still the same
and now my specs:

motherboard: MSI K7T266PRO2 raid
cpu: AMD athlon XP 2000+
ram: 2x 256 MB DDR Ram 266
video: GRA Pixelview GeForce 3 Ti 200 64 Ram DDR
sound: soundblaste live 5.1
hd: 2x HDA 40 GB maxtor 7200/2MB/UDMA 133

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-24-2002, 05:41 PM
You can check your RAM by changing it with Saurons if it is the same. If your mother board has onboard RAID then there are 4 IDE connector on the board. 2 for IDE and 2 for Raid. Usuall the bottom 2 are for Raid. I have never used Raid because I have heard that there is a lot more problems with data corruption. Try plugging one of your hard drives into an IDE port on your motjherboard and then try reformatting it.

Saretta
11-24-2002, 05:48 PM
sauron doesnt have the same ram as me. :(

Saretta
11-24-2002, 06:02 PM
i think something with my RAM isnt ok: When I boot it says I only have 64 MB RAM (normally I must have 512)

Saretta
11-24-2002, 06:33 PM
Ok the RAM problem is fixed.

Scandisk found an error in C and cant correct it. When I try to format c it says: Not ready to format it?!????

Is there another way to correct errors on a hd except with scandisk? If yes please explain to me like for a stupid girl :unsure:

TNT Tonic
11-24-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by BainSidhe@Nov 24 2002, 12:33 PM
Ok the RAM problem is fixed.

Scandisk found an error in C and cant correct it. When I try to format c it says: Not ready to format it?!????

Is there another way to correct errors on a hd except with scandisk? If yes please explain to me like for a stupid girl :unsure:
LOL You are so funny Bain!! :lol:

Saretta
11-24-2002, 06:51 PM
Forget about my problem. I will take it to a computer shop. But that means I cant play for at least 2 weeks :(

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-24-2002, 07:05 PM
How did you fix your RAM problem?

You tried formatC:\u ? The U stands for unconditional.

Saretta
11-24-2002, 07:14 PM
The RAM problem was a quite "blond moment". I accidetly saw the RAM for my videocard which has 64 RAM :wacko:

And nope I havent tried that...

BIGGD01
11-24-2002, 09:56 PM
if you are planning to do a clean install then do fdisk.

the problem seems to be with your raid setup and i would bet on that.

screw the raid and just use 1 harddrive for you c drive and then use the other hard drive for files.

disable raid in the bios and set it to ata.

that seems to be a good system you have there!!!

if you have 2 sticks of memory, try using just 1 of them

if you are using raid then the drive should look at both drives as one--is it doing this?

make sure you have all the drivers ready to do the clean install.

if you live in ny--come over and i will set it up for ya!!!!!!!!

when you say hard drive has problems is that on the surface?

when system is booting watch the raid and hit the utility (i think its ctrl f) and when utility opens ck to see if you can rebuild raid or if it will be able to test your drives for problems.

ME BIGGD

Saretta
11-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by BIGGD01@Nov 24 2002, 10:56 PM
if you are planning to do a clean install then do fdisk.

screw the raid and just use 1 harddrive for you c drive and then use the other hard drive for files.

disable raid in the bios and set it to ata.

that seems to be a good system you have there!!!

if you have 2 sticks of memory, try using just 1 of them

if you are using raid then the drive should look at both drives as one--is it doing this?

make sure you have all the drivers ready to do the clean install.

if you live in ny--come over and i will set it up for ya!!!!!!!!

when you say hard drive has problems is that on the surface?

when system is booting watch the raid and hit the utility (i think its ctrl f) and when utility opens ck to see if you can rebuild raid or if it will be able to test your drives for problems.

ME BIGGD

I tired to clean my hd's with fdisk (I removed all partitions and made 1 new one) then I tried to format it - didnt work. It said the hd isnt ready for formating after 12 %. Then I thought lets try to install windows but my comp froze.

About the raid: I have no idea how to disable the raid and work with only one hd. I tried but it wouldnt work with changing something inside my comp...
but i could rebuild the raid without problems and it shows both hd's as one

I decided to take my comp to the computer shop because its only 1/2 year old and I still have guaranty(?) on it. So they have to fix my problem.

I asked one and he told me if I cant reinstall windows its very possible that my hd is damaged on the surface. I just dont think anymore its a software problem...

Thx for trying to help ... unfortunatelly I live in Germany :(

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-24-2002, 10:28 PM
If it is under warranty then let them fix it. Hope they get it back to you soon. Does Sauron know that he has to let you use his computer until yours comes back? :P ;)

Saretta
11-24-2002, 10:30 PM
He knows and he let me play one time already. Im not used to his mouse. And the worst thing: I LOST MY OUTLAWS TAG!!!!! :o (my name color :()

Sauron
11-24-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Nov 24 2002, 11:28 PM
Does Sauron know that he has to let you use his computer until yours comes back? :P ;)
yes Sauron knows that :)

OUTLAWS Spike
11-24-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by BainSidhe@Nov 24 2002, 04:30 PM
Anmd the worst thing: I LOST MY OUTLAWS TAG!!!!! :o (my name color :()
No worries :D That can be fixed B)

Saretta
11-28-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by BIGGD01@Nov 24 2002, 10:56 PM

Seems u were right ...