PDA

View Full Version : D link router

Grimmy
11-25-2002, 10:31 PM
He guys I just got this router, and it worked fine yesterday. I woke up this morning, ok noon, fired up the puter and couldn't connect to the net. My question is, once you have the router configured, do you have to leave the power on to it, or can you shut it off when you don't have the puter on?? Just want conformation on it, the system admin here at work said you have to leave it on so that you configuration stays in it. Just need your input.

Thanks B)

TheUltimateWarrior
11-25-2002, 10:35 PM
I have a router too. I can shut down the computer whenever I like
Never had any problems with it!

Sauron
11-25-2002, 10:52 PM
u can shut down the PC and if ur router saves the config u even can turn off ur router but after ur PC is shut down and u have to start it other way round that means first the router then the PC

Saretta
11-25-2002, 10:54 PM
When we got our router we had problems with the internet too untill we found out: first we have to turn on the modem till all light are green then we can turn on the router and then the computer. When we turn on the router before we turn on the modem the net doesnt work because the router wont recognise the modem.

Grimmy
11-25-2002, 11:21 PM
Ok, I will have to try that. I have everything on 2 power strips and just a flip of one switch, turns everything on. So I would have to turn the modem on first, and then the router, then on to the puter. The way it is now, the router and the modem turn on at the same time. Would I have to leave my modem on also and the router?

TheUltimateWarrior
11-25-2002, 11:23 PM
I always have my modem and router on
same for my computer
sometimes I reboot, but I almost never shut it down
Downloading lots of movies and crap

My tip is: Leave your modem and router on
that way, no problems :D

Saretta
11-25-2002, 11:36 PM
i turn off my puter, my router and my modem when I go to bed.

Goober
11-26-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Terminathare@Nov 25 2002, 06:36 PM
My modem and router are always on.

I shut down my PC at night.
Me too.....

Ra\/en
11-26-2002, 12:28 AM
i never shut my computer down.

Grimmy
11-26-2002, 01:22 AM
Also, I almost forgot to ask, the cat 5 cable from the router to the pc, that is a straight through cable right? I wouldn't think it would be a cross over cable, but I just want to make sure.

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-26-2002, 01:53 AM
Straight cable.

Sometimes my router will hang up and not let me connect to the internet. Just unplug and plug it back in and it should connect. I leave my router on all the time and just shut down my PC.

Grimmy
11-26-2002, 01:55 AM
do you leave your cable modem on along with your router?? or do you shut that off when you shut your pc down?

Sauron
11-26-2002, 01:57 AM
i would like to leave my modem on but it gets so damn hot

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-26-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Nov 25 2002, 08:55 PM
do you leave your cable modem on along with your router?? or do you shut that off when you shut your pc down?
Leave modem and router on all the time.

Grimmy
11-26-2002, 02:00 AM
Ok, I will do that when I get home. It was just funny that the router didn't remember it's settings and it says nothing about leaving it on in the ultrathin manual (quick starters guide) that came with it.

Thanks for the help guys!! Apperciate it B)

Grimmy
11-26-2002, 05:42 PM
Ok, the router sucks ass! I left it on last night, along with the modem, and just shut my pc down, and this morning when I turned the pc on, it told me that the cable was unplugged, but it wasn't. This was the same **** that happened to me yesterday. Any other ideas to what is going on with it? Is it just retarded or something?