PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade from 98se to XP home

Pure_Evil
11-26-2002, 07:08 PM
I was offered a free upgrade to XP home and I'm currently running 98se. Has anyone done this? Any advice? I'm a little worried about having to re-format, losing important files, old perifferals not working anymore, and the worse would be lost gaming time. The only problem I have with 98 is I can't have my scanner and digital camera drivers installed at the same time. Crashes if they are.

SALvation
11-26-2002, 07:13 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...and if you do fix it, go with XP Pro.

Reasons are in the thread 3 down from this...

Grimmy
11-26-2002, 07:17 PM
does your puter meet the requirements for XP? Woudln't want to install it on a P2 lol

I personaly love XP and it does so much for you.

Pure_Evil
11-26-2002, 07:22 PM
I read that post. And I agree about the aint broke don't fix but the free version of home was inticing and I thought it might solve my camera / scanner problem. Money's tight and so is time otherwise I'd have Pro and the latest and greatest video card. right now I'm playing catch up! Thanks for the quick reply!

Pure_Evil
11-26-2002, 07:24 PM
I'm running a P-4 1.6 with 256 DDR ram, Ge-force 3 Ti200 card and sound blaster live 5.1. 40 gig hard drive. So It sould handle it .

Slice
11-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Make sure you run the compatability test on the CD before installing. This will give you a print out of all devices that may not work with XP, or at least tell you that you need to update drivers for them. Definately get your isp connection software version compatible with XP before the upgrade, if you do not have it already. This was a problem for me during the upgrade, I couldn't connect to the internet with the old version of Earthlink that I had, once I installed XP. I ended up having to download it with another computer and installing it from a disk. Also some bios on Mother Boards chipsets can have issues with XP. So I would find out the mother board model and look on their site to see if you need to flash and upgrade your bios. XP is a great operating system and I would say do it especially if you can get it for free! :)

MR. SLiK
11-26-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Slice@Nov 26 2002, 11:25 AM
Make sure you run the compatability test on the CD before installing. This will give you a print out of all devices that may not work with XP, or at least tell you that you need to update drivers for them. Definately get your isp connection software version compatible with XP before the upgrade, if you do not have it already. This was a problem for me during the upgrade, I couldn't connect to the internet with the old version of Earthlink that I had, once I installed XP. I ended up having to download it with another computer and installing it from a disk. Also some bios on Mother Boards chipsets can have issues with XP. So I would find out the mother board model and look on their site to see if you need to flash and upgrade your bios. XP is a great operating system and I would say do it especially if you can get it for free! :)
Dood dont use that **** Earthlink software. You could have used Dial-up networking like i did when I had earthlink.

Slice
11-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by MR. SLiK+Nov 26 2002, 02:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MR. SLiK @ Nov 26 2002, 02:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Slice@Nov 26 2002, 11:25 AM
Make sure you run the compatability test on the CD before installing. &nbsp;This will give you a print out of all devices that may not work with XP, or at least tell you that you need to update drivers for them. &nbsp;Definately get your isp connection software version compatible with XP before the upgrade, if you do not have it already. &nbsp;This was a problem for me during the upgrade, I couldn&#39;t connect to the internet with the old version of Earthlink that I had, once I installed XP. &nbsp;I ended up having to download it with another computer and installing it from a disk. &nbsp;Also some bios on Mother Boards chipsets can have issues with XP. &nbsp;So I would find out the mother board model and look on their site to see if you need to flash and upgrade your bios. &nbsp;XP is a great operating system and I would say do it especially if you can get it for free&#33; &nbsp; :)
Dood dont use that **** Earthlink software. You could have used Dial-up networking like i did when I had earthlink.[/b][/quote]
I know but at the time I couldn&#39;t access my account information for some reason. Now I use dial up networking for it.

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-26-2002, 09:00 PM
Hmmm. tough call. I really like XP though. If you had a burned you could use a hard drive image program like ghost to make an image of your hard drive. then reformat and install XP and if you did not like it or it was not compatible with your hardware you could just reload your image. Just a thought.

MR. SLiK
11-26-2002, 09:11 PM
98se is good for compatbility. My old dos games go into somer kind of infinite loop and have my comp usage go to 100%. No more dune2 or worms1 :(

Pure_Evil
11-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Nov 26 2002, 09:00 PM
Hmmm. tough call. I really like XP though. If you had a burned you could use a hard drive image program like ghost to make an image of your hard drive. then reformat and install XP and if you did not like it or it was not compatible with your hardware you could just reload your image. Just a thought.
How do I get the Ghost program? Is it a shareware or freeware program? :o