PDA

View Full Version : anti-virus

Justncredible
12-02-2002, 10:09 AM
Me,,, I don't even run a anti-virus, I never have and never will, I know who is sending me an e-mail and why it was sent, I delete all those forwarded e-mails right away,,,,, I think they are a waste of money and my time,,,, and I have never had a virus,,,, I might have been hacked a few times before I put up a firewall, but never a virus or worm. B) B) B)

Hobbes
12-02-2002, 10:16 AM
No option for "I dunno, but I use a free one (http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm) just in case" ??

Saretta
12-02-2002, 10:24 AM
As Hobbes said. I have a free one...

Well not really free. Its a security package from my internet provider and i dont have to pay extra for it.

Nobody
12-02-2002, 10:29 AM
I use Norton which has blocked quite a few over the years. I not only use it to check email, I use it to scan files that I download. I have also had it block certain harmful scripts on web pages before. To me it is very much worth the money even though I didn't pay for it :rolleyes: :D

Pure_Evil
12-02-2002, 12:47 PM
I went without one for a while and paid for it. Some a-hole sent me or accessed my PC while I was gaming and gave me a virus that only srewed up UT, the only game I played at the time. I couldn't figure out why everytime I played on another server that I had to download the maps. Even ones like Barricade and Deck 16. I had them yet still had to download them. After 2 weeks of missery a friend found a post describing this virus and I dropped the money for McAffee and it fixed the problem. I wish we didn't need them but I'll always use it. I use AVG now too instead of McAffee.

Justncredible
12-02-2002, 02:02 PM
I have hack attemps playing games too,,,, I keep my firewall up at all times and it's free too,,,,,, I have found the free ones are better than the paid for ones,,,, they just try to milk ya every year to get updates and stuff,,,,, If I decide to get a anti virus it will be a free one....... :) :)

Nobody
12-02-2002, 02:08 PM
Our company gives Norton to all employees for free as a precaution :) .

SALvation
12-02-2002, 02:31 PM
How do you know you've never had a virus if you don't have a virus scanner? :D

Justncredible
12-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@Dec 2 2002, 09:31 AM
this old computer is still running,,,,,, I just never open e-mails... :D :D

Slice
12-02-2002, 02:52 PM
Norton Baby! ;)

Slash
12-02-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Justncredible@Dec 2 2002, 04:09 AM
Me,,, I don't even run a anti-virus, I never have and never will, I know who is sending me an e-mail and why it was sent, I delete all those forwarded e-mails right away,,,,, I think they are a waste of money and my time,,,, and I have never had a virus,,,, I might have been hacked a few times before I put up a firewall, but never a virus or worm. B) B) B)
You can be infected by scripts running on web pages as well. You will never know if you don't have protection.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
12-02-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@Dec 2 2002, 06:31 AM
That's a good point Sal.
My PC was working fine when I did a scan, and found a virus. :)
I've got Norton's and I also use the free Ad-Aware software to scan for other "crap".

Snip3r
12-02-2002, 04:37 PM
I just downloaded the full Norton 2003 off Kazaa since I bought Norton Systemworks 2002 and it sucked very bad. But I definatly would've payed for it but they owed me.I also have Ad-Aware and can't live without it :D

TNT Tonic
12-02-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS high ping camper+Dec 2 2002, 09:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS high ping camper @ Dec 2 2002, 09:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SALvation@Dec 2 2002, 06:31 AM
How do you know you&#39;ve never had a virus if you don&#39;t have a virus scanner? :D
That&#39;s a good point Sal.
My PC was working fine when I did a scan, and found a virus. :)
I&#39;ve got Norton&#39;s and I also use the free Ad-Aware software to scan for other "crap".[/b][/quote]
I use the exact same thing&#33; I have had someone trying to send me a backdoor trojan and and irc trojan, but thank god my norton keeps picking it up&#33;

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-02-2002, 05:00 PM
Norton Anti-Virus 2002 and Personal Firewall 2002. I have always run somebodies anti-virus software. First McAfee, now Norton. Saved me many times, not only from web sites, and downloads, but user supplied diskettes (remember these things.) I could have answered the don&#39;t open unknown attachments too.

It&#39;s a sad world that I have to run them, but better save than sorry.

BIGGD01
12-02-2002, 05:35 PM
I too never used virus software until Sept 12, 01. It is not safe nor worth to chance a virus destroying even your bios on the mainboard. there are so many viruses out there that can be affecting you with out you even knowing like sending them to veryone in your mail list. And there are others that will send your info to everyone like the one i got from grimmy and his thongs. :-) i like the new nortons utilities 2003 which i got and uses very little resources. i do agree with viruses being sent from some of the software makers but also it goes way beyond that today.

Grimmy
12-02-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Slash+Dec 2 2002, 09:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Slash @ Dec 2 2002, 09:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Justncredible@Dec 2 2002, 04:09 AM
Me,,, I don&#39;t even run a anti-virus, I never have and never will, I know who is sending me an e-mail and why it was sent, I delete all those forwarded e-mails right away,,,,, I think they are a waste of money and my time,,,, and I have never had a virus,,,, I might have been hacked a few times before I put up a firewall, but never a virus or worm. B) &nbsp;B) &nbsp;B)
You can be infected by scripts running on web pages as well. You will never know if you don&#39;t have protection.[/b][/quote]
You got that right Slash, if you go to any warez sites, just visiting them, you get like 2 if you go to one of there pages, and it is one that pops up and won&#39;t go away.

I voted no, becuase you can download them off of kazaa for FREEE heheh I don&#39;t pay for anything lol :lol:

Death-Dude
12-02-2002, 07:23 PM
For me, it is worth it. Norton has caught quite a few, during the Klez BS especially. I jadedly half-suspect the same geeks innoculating are the ones creating these, but what ya gonna do?

Sacrifice
12-03-2002, 02:56 AM
download nortons 2003 from Kazaa (http://kazaa.com) like i did :D

Sirc
12-03-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Nobody@Dec 2 2002, 09:08 AM
Our company gives Norton to all employees for free as a precaution :) .
Mine too. Its one of the perks for working for a university. They get educational site licenses for everything. Free MS Office too. :P

Troop
12-03-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Sacrifice@Dec 2 2002, 09:56 PM
download nortons 2003 from Kazaa (http://kazaa.com) like i did :D
Tried to dl Panda from there and guess what?.......It had a virus. I&#39;ve used Norton&#39;s and it does the trick. Saved it from invasion especially from Kazaa.