PDA

View Full Version : Round IDE cables

talon662
12-13-2002, 12:51 AM
Are there any adventages of having the round cables instead of the traditional ones? Is there any difference in performance? I was thinking about getting them because they look less cluttery but i went to a site i got the impression that they weren't too good. here is the site The site (http://www.a1-electronics.co.uk/PcHardware/IDECables.shtml)

FUS1ON
12-13-2002, 01:17 AM
The only advantage they have is to aid in letting air flow easier around them. Depending on who you talk to, Some people say the ribbons are better because of signal degradation in the round cables.
BTW I have the round ones in my box. ;)

OUTLAWS The Machine
12-13-2002, 01:19 AM
I have round ones too. Like Shogun said, round ones don't inhibit air flow and look really cool. B)

FUS1ON
12-13-2002, 01:19 AM
This is from the link you posted

So by having a flat cable and putting the most important lines or wire at the extremes you not only have many earth wires between cutting down on interference but also the interference that reaches the furthest line is now weaker because it is furthest away.

Hey thanks for the link, That's pretty interesting stuff! :)

Dissectional
12-13-2002, 02:36 AM
I use them becuase they are easier to manage, and they look spiffy with my neon light and window.
Performance wise, they make no difference. The airflow is debatable with either one. Anyone that builds their own boxed should practice cable management anyway when it comes to running hot, fast machines, just like most electronic equipment. ;)

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-14-2002, 03:09 AM
I'll just wait and get the Serial ATA cables...even smaller, only two data lines instead of 16.

Death Engineer
12-16-2002, 05:34 PM
The logic involved in that article seems accurate to me as an electrical engineer. However, I can't see a few more errors in IDE traffic creating any noticeable difference in speed. And I don't think that you can argue that the round cables aren't easier to work with and position and therefore better for cooling.

My vote is to go for them. I don't have them in my machine, but then my machine is 2.5 years old. When I buy a new one, it will most definitely have them in it.

DE