PDA

View Full Version : New Hardware required

Sauron
01-13-2003, 03:27 PM
OK i need new Hardware maybe in march maybe earlier!
I need a combo MoBo, new CPU, new GFX card

maybe a new mouse depends on how many money i have after buying the above mentioned parts :)

Any suggestions?

Sauron
01-13-2003, 04:16 PM
oops i forgot i have around 1000 euro for the whole upgrade and an 1.1 ghz athlon at the moment

Saretta
01-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Seems nobody wanna help u :unsure:

Death-Dude
01-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Well. I don't know where "hyper-threading" technology will be at that time, but I'd get a board an chip that can do that if possible. It's only the 3.06 GHz right now, isn't it? I've had AMD's for a while, and they are a good value, but I'd go to intel next time I think. AGP 8X, DDR (DDR-2, if it's around) and at least ATA133. SATA would be nice, too, but you're a little more limited in HD choice, then. I don't know how much you gain with Serial ATA over ATA133. The 3.06 is $650 right now, no friggin' way I'd pay that. If hyperthreading is still too expensive, I'd go with AMD or Intel. The intel will give you less cooling headache, if there is any.
I want to hold off from a new rig, as the 64-bit chips are due this year, Q3 or Q4. Still, they are set to debut at 1.4 GHz, and might be too 'experimental' to mess with.

Sauron
01-13-2003, 10:22 PM
well cooling should be not the problem cause i would like to get the case mentioned in that (http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=5878) thread

Death-Dude
01-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Sauron@Jan 13 2003, 10:22 PM
well cooling should be not the problem cause i would like to get the case mentioned in that (http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=5878) thread
There are some awful nice cases out now. I liked this one from the same company, too>

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware...ews/xaser6000a/ (http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/xaser6000a/)

If I were to buy a board at the moment, this ASUS is a darn fine looking one. It has the option for SATA, RAID. It's at least a good example to compare against.

Asus board at HardOCP (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Mzk0)

I've seen some all-aluminum cases, with pre-cut windows and all for very competitive rates. Sorry I don't have an URL atm, but pricewatch will get you started.
I actually submitted an idea to Lian-Li to make an exotic all-copper case, hoping they'd like the idea and send me one (yeah right!), but they said copper is too heavy and too expensive. Now, heavy is one thing, but expensive, well, there is always a market out there for someone who wants to overspend for show, and the cooling would undoubtably be superior. If it were for a box not likely to be carried about like a LAN-party box, it would be, well, cool as heck.

Dissectional
01-14-2003, 04:29 PM
I am using the XP2400+ and the Asus A7n8x. I am very pleased with this setup. I plan on getting the FX card as soon as it is out. This whole deal including the card will end up costing me about 800-900 USD.

FUS1ON
01-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Sauron I wasn't ignoring your post. It's just that in 2 months who knows what will be announced by then. What may be new today, May be old news by March. I really like the Asus motherboard Whocares bought, But with the trouble he's had with it, I'm taking a "wait and see" before I would make a recommendation. Other people are using the same motherboard with no problems at all. :unsure:

Sauron
01-14-2003, 05:15 PM
i know that u havent ignored my post and i also know that it is a little early for that discussion but maybe ill upgrade after my birthday which is in 2 days!!! I have to see how many money i get to my birthdays thats all! :)

What would u recommend if i would upgrade hmm lets say next week?

i had in mind : Athlon XP 2700+
Mobo : MSI KT400 Ultra FISR
RAM : at least 512 MB
GFX : dunno yet ( ummh whats the TI4800SE chip?)
Case : Thermaltake XaserII 6000+ (thats an alu case)
and if i have some money left the MX700 Mouse

FUS1ON
01-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Right now, If it was me, I'd go with a nForce2 chipset motherboard, Prob'ly the Epox. But that's just me and i'd do a some reading of some reviews before buying anything.

2 days till party time! :thumbs:

Saretta
01-14-2003, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't buy an Epox mobo. My mom had one and it caused only problems. Now she has a MSI mobo which works very fine, same like mine.

Death-Dude
01-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by BainSidhe@Jan 14 2003, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't buy an Epox mobo. My mom had one and it caused only problems. Now she has a MSI mobo which works very fine, same like mine.
It's hit-or-miss. Some people have problems with their first board of many companies, and won't go back to them. I know people who won't use anything but an Asus, or an Abit, and others who are gun-shy of both companies because of troubles they've had. I have an Epox that failed to POST inexplicably, since it had been doing so fine. I suspect a flaky BIOS version. It wouldn't POST, or even get to the video BIOS. I tried two AGP cards, and two PCI cards, in various slots, with nothing else but RAM and a HD. Tried the PCI cards in different slots. I gave it to a buddy who had an ISA vga card, and it booted. The ISA video BIOS is hard-coded on the board. After that, he was able to re-flash the BIOS, and all is fine again.
All that said, I would certainly go for an Nforce-2 chipset board. The performance is undeniable. Or, go for an Intel board.