PDA

View Full Version : Fire Fighter

Viper
04-16-2004, 09:53 PM
hey this is another career i am lookin into and i was wondering if anybody can tell me about the training for it?

Aries
04-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Edog can :shifty:

EdoG
04-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Aries@Apr 16 2004, 06:22 PM
Edog can :shifty:
Yes! :w00t:

Im in 9th grade.
When im out of 12th grade I will get on the CFD (Charlotte Fire Dept.)
I am an Explorer right now.
To be a Explorer you need to have good grades, good attitude, and pass a 100 question test. (make atleast 90%)
Once you do all that, we meet every other week.
We learn about fighting fires, the tools used to fight fires, etc.
The Explorer program preps you for the Fire Dept.

As far as training you have to like a course under 2.00 minutes.
Every Fire Dept is diffrent.

In Charlotte we have 38 stations.
We also have USAR (Urban Search And Rescue) made due to 9/11

PM me if you wanna talk.
Good Luck DuDE :thumbs: :thumbs:

Our Website:

CFD WEBSITE (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Fire/Home.htm)

ME BIGGD01
04-16-2004, 11:50 PM
i do believe pure evil is a fireman aswell for many years. :thumbs:

i think it's a tough job and knowing that one day you may save a life is a very good thing. :thumbs:

Herbus Maximus
04-17-2004, 12:07 AM
Besides taking fire science classes and emt training etc...the more classes you can get into the better. It pays off in the interviews if you can show that you are truely interested in serving the needs of the public by training yourself. They like go getters! :thumbs:
Also start your physical training. A great thing to start with is taking a 50-80 pound backpack and start hiking/walking. Your cardiovascular system is going to get a workout in the physical tests along with your legs, back and arms. You will likely take the physical test in full gear which means the air tank itself will be @80 pounds which will really work on your endurance hence the suggested 80pound backpack for your hikes.
Edog can enlighten you about some of the Jr. Firefighter classes that are out and about.
If you are truely interested...take the job seriously. There are a lot of people that try to get on because of the good pay, benefits and working 12 days a month sounds good....but unless the interviewers believe you are capable and serious about wanting to serve...they'll pass you over for someone else.

Good luck to you though!

EdoG
04-17-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Herbus Maximus@Apr 16 2004, 08:07 PM
Besides taking fire science classes and emt training etc...the more classes you can get into the better.  It pays off in the interviews if you can show that you are truely interested in serving the needs of the public by training yourself.  They like go getters! :thumbs:
Also start your physical training.  A great thing to start with is taking a 50-80 pound backpack and start hiking/walking.  Your cardiovascular system is going to get a workout in the physical tests along with your legs, back and arms.  You will likely take the physical test in full gear which means the air tank itself will be @80 pounds which will really work on your endurance hence the suggested 80pound backpack for your hikes.
Edog can enlighten you about some of the Jr. Firefighter classes that are out and about.
If you are truely interested...take the job seriously.  There are a lot of people that try to get on because of the good pay, benefits and working 12 days a month sounds good....but unless the interviewers believe you are capable and serious about wanting to serve...they'll pass you over for someone else. 

Good luck to you though!
Yes, Our physical test our in full turnout gear, and you do need a degree in Fire Science (2 year min) :oooo: Pass a drug test, and have a good record :wave:

Good Luck! :thumbs:

You made that picture for me a long time ago Herb! :w00t: :jammin:

Pure_Evil
04-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Training for it is not a big deal, but what you have to do is take every fire and safety courses you can. If you can get on a Vollunteer dept and take fire 1&2 as well as hazmat opps, that's huge.

If Minn is anything like CT, you need a inside helper, the last place I applied to had over 3000 people test for about 20 positions.

As far as the physical testing goes, this is what's require here CPAT (http://www.ct.gov/cfpc/lib/cfpc/CPAT_Flyer.pdf) it's not hard, just the real weak or hung over fail.

The toughest part is the testing on paper and in person, my written test was a complete joke, then the oral boards and the background check.You must have led a clean life, no criminal record, no drugs.

But it's also the greatest job in the world, hands down :thumbs:

EricC
04-17-2004, 04:19 PM
when i rub the fireman's helmet he spits in my eye

EdoG
04-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by EricC@Apr 17 2004, 12:19 PM
:unsure: :blink:

solid snake295
04-17-2004, 07:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

i dont think i could ever be a fireman, with the lazyness and smoking and all...
Ive set myself on fire a couple times now, i think ive had enough, lol.

goblinwarrior2004
04-17-2004, 10:28 PM
fire man.....

cccccoooooooooooooollllllllll

Pure_Evil
04-18-2004, 02:02 AM
you must have soft hands, call me ;) :babe:

EdoG
04-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil+Apr 17 2004, 10:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pure_Evil @ Apr 17 2004, 10:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EricC@Apr 17 2004, 12:19 PM
when i rub the fireman&#39;s helmet he spits in my eye
you must have soft hands, call me ;) :babe: [/b][/quote]
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good one Pure&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

<<Hybrid>>
04-19-2004, 03:16 AM
hi Viper :wave:

lol @ pure :rolf1: i think its not She, it is He lol

Pure_Evil
04-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by <<Hybrid>>@Apr 18 2004, 11:16 PM
hi Viper :wave:

lol @ pure :rolf1: i think its not She, it is He lol
so, I&#39;ll close my eyes :shifty: worked with LaSH :WTF: